Well I would rather win ugly than lose pretty....

yave1964

I took forever to fall asleep last night Detroit+Red+Wings+v+Nashville+Predators+ after the Wings game, a 7-6 game, the ugliest game of the year for a purest, neither team able to put the game away as both kept fighting back, looking like a 1980's game in every respect. I kept looking for Petr Klima to take the ice any time.....

To start with the worst of the worst, Zetterberg left after 2 with a UBI. We don't need that right now, or ever.

Second, the goal by Pavel to tie it in the third, we have been called for goalie interference that was ugly and bad calls, I think Pavel's goal in the third in which Abdelkader CLEARLY pushed Lehtonen into the net literally seconds before the puck went in, well, God did we get away with one. Pavel was brilliant tonight, absolutely brilliant.

Our defense was indefensible, 6 goals allowed!!???? Ugly with a capital UGH. But, Kronwall with the game winner and a brilliant shot/pass on Abby's goal made up for a wretched game on his part, and then... the winner in OT. on a backhander that looked like something out of the Magic mans bag of tricks. Lehtonen threw his stick in disgust. Ericsson had a cool fight with Benn and Kindl in is first game back in the lineup in so long that I forgot who he was scored 2 goals in his first game back. So yes, he defense didn't help Howard out, who was pretty bad his own self, but they had their moments, enough to pull one out. Good to see the monster get a win in nine minutes of ice time.

Dallas up by two at home with 8 minutes to go and couldn't hold the lead. Ugly. They simply did not collapse in front of their goalie, they allowed the Wings who are not known for their physical play to outmuscle them for the puck. Dallas Defense was a rumor.

What a fun game! No more for a while, my heart cannot handle it, lol. Now on to California for 3 in 4 nights, all three California clubs are down a bit this year, lets hope for 4 points in three and then finish the trip in Nashville and then smooth sailing on the schedule the rest of the way. Hope Z is okay. If anyone hears an update let me know.

@yave1964

Haven't heard on Z yet, although it was a head injury, and he played for the remainder of the period, which makes me think concussion, and that's not good! It supposedly resulted from Benn punching him in the head toward the end of the second. A penalty was called, but supplemental discipline may be required. Toronto will have to at least look at it.

Interesting stat: The last time a team was down by two goals TWICE in the 3rd period and came back to win the game was in 1934. THAT'S how rare a game like this is. Screw the '80's! Try the '30's! Even in the '80's it wasn't THAT loose!

And harkening back to another thread, this is yet ANOTHER game that the Red Wings have entered the 3rd period down and still won the game. Their record in those games is SICK! As in sickeningly good!

Kinda like last night's game! :-)

Hockey's a funny game. Just a couple games ago (MTL), we played one of those classic shutout type games where nobody has any room, and then we play a game like this with everything but red carpets laid out leading to both goals, where defense is almost an afterthought.

Helm continues to be a factor in every single game. I just wish the guy could learn how to finish more of his breakaways! (Reminds me of Draper that way, and I LOVED Draper as a player). But he is now becoming an every day threat and a very critical piece of our offense, even though his numbers don't easily reflect that. But he was a part of both of Datyuk's goals as well as at least one of Kindl's mucking it up in front of the net.

Pav had one of his classic takeaway-unassisted goals as well as the tying goal with less than 2 minutes left. How he got that goal through all of those skates on that game tying goal...well...Magic!

You are right about Kronner having a bad game other than at the end. I ALSO thought DDK had a particularly rough game. Actually, defensively speaking, Brendan Smith was one of our better D-men, and when I say "better," I am using that as a comparative word, compared to everyone else. No one was really "good."

What a return for Kindl, eh? He DID look better than before he was sat down and before he went down to GR. Maybe that trip down will raise his game. Hope so. After the game they asked him when was the last game he remembered scoring 2 goals, and he said, "I don't know...probably juniors." Probably right! Good for him!

Fun game to watch. May re-watch it again today. Not for the feint of heart, for sure!

Typical Dallas Stars type game the team from the Lone Star State managed to drag the Wings into...and to Detroit's credit, they came away with the two points.

Not good from a Lightning standpoint, but sure helped the Minnesota Wild by not only keeping Dallas at bay, but now the Stars have to play Minnesota today traveling from Big D to St. Paul, MN.

But to your point, @yave1964 , I agree....at the end of the day, not many will ask HOW did you do it, but rather DID you do it...and the Wings got it done, and kept pace with the Habs and Lightning, with still an eye on the top of the division.

@yave1964  Take a gander at the posters on HF boards....and their take on the Benn vs Zetts incident.....some comedy gold in there...hilarious!!

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=97752797

My opinion, it was a hockey game, it is what it is,  no suspension needed. The best place to settle this is on the ice the next time the two teams play. Kind of a freaky thing, not sure if Z has a concussion or not but kind of a strange way for it to occur. Two minutes was about right, hell Z may have deserved two minutes himself for trying to turn Benn into a soprano.

@yave1964  Agreed, no suspension, but perhaps a fine.  This is kind of a dirty play and it needs to be discouraged.  As for the game, it was indeed UGH-ly.  I turned it off after the Jimmy Howard was pulled.  Boy, did I feel silly the next morning when I looked at the score...

And where the "H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks" did Kindl come from?  Perhaps this is just the kind of effect Babcock has been looking for when he benches his players for poor performance.  Clearly though, this was a flash in the pan, one of a kind game for Jakub, but surely the kid is energize enough to keep playing his best and earn his way back up to the regulars

Guys, its the Wings' turn to try to stop the LA Kings freight train.

Does Detroit have another 'ugly win' in them for this one tonight?

Because that's what it may take to bring the Kings' current 7-game winning streak to a halt.

The Wings are competing with the Lightning for divisional playoff positioning (and possibly the division title) while the Kings are competing with the Minnesota Wild for the right to get into the playoffs (should LA remain amongst the WC teams and not move up to the divisional playoff slots)....so a win by either, for me, is not particularly good from a Wild's or Lightning's standpoint.

From an NHL fan's standpoint though, should be fun to see whether Detroit can pull off what 7 previous teams matched up against the Kings could not.

For the Wings, it would be a redemption of sorts, seeing as how thy seemed to have the Ducks under control before losing in the SO to Anaheim.

Win for Detroit against the Stanley Cup champs can help wash that one away...even if the win is an ugly one...  ;)

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Would have loved to see the Wings break that streak, TFG, but I guess it just wasn't in the cards.  I wasn't able to watch but based on the post-game pressers, Babcock was pretty pleased with the performance on the second game of a back-to-back.  Gustavsson came up huge in his first start in months, and the only goal the Kings tallied was a tip-in on a power play. The Kings continue their streak, but they had to earn this one.  

Five points for the Wings after four of a six game road trip to the West - that's a helluva performance so far!  

Archived