Panic Button Time?

Sickening.

The Wings have 8 of the next ten at home, time to make hay and put this to an end. 3rd place, against Tampa seems a mortal lock unless we go full on Toronto on everyone.

Just throwing this out there, but...

has Babcock tuned out some here in his demands for excellency, because he has made up his mind that he doesn't plan to return next season?  

Thus giving an excuse to fans as a reason why the Wings should look for a new coach.

??

I'm not panicking, but anyone who isn't saying that they aren't at least moderately concerned is either blind or lying.

I STILL say that as the playoffs approach, the Wings should try to develop the following line combos prior to and as they enter the SCPs:

Abdelkader-Z-Nyquist

Helm-Pav-Tats

Cole-Sheahan-Pulkinnen

Miller-Glendening-Andersson/Jurco/Weiss--whoever is competing better at the time

I think FROM THE START, Babcock has tried to make Cole fit on the top line when the team's need for his skills makes some of them better served with another scorer rather than a net-front mucker/puck-retriever like Abby. With his size, I think it would be perfect to have him on the 3rd line playing that role primarily, so that all three of our top lines have:

1. Net-front-mucker/retriever

2. Playmaker

3. Pure scorer/shooter

Three lines like this, plus a 4th line which is more of a grind line to wear down the opposing team with the forecheck is the ideal situation for entering the playoffs and making a run. It forces opposing teams to have to make a choice of the lesser of 3 evils--using a less-than-premier line to defend one of them. THAT is the factor that the Wings have not had the past few years. If you defended Pav & Z well, we were done, other than flashes of youth brilliance, but nothing consistent from anyone else.

I think the return of Datsyuk reuniting him with Helm and Tats will be the key to unleashing the offense, and Cole just helps spread our threat to three really solid lines (really 4, but the 4th isn't so offensively-minded). That is the reason I'm not panicking yet.

I would be panicking more if we had, once again, given up 3 goals in today's game. The D looked a bit better, and Howard looked sharp. Obviously, it's only 1 game, and for Howard he must answer the question, "What about the next 3 games?"

But if we can get Pav back on the ice and not lose anyone else major, I think we've got enough time to get 'er going and the timing can still be right to be cruising as we enter the SCPs. Can't wait much longer though.

And I know it may seem like it is a "waste" to have Cole on the third line, but that doesn't mean they can't play more and be more like lines 1a, 1b, and 1c. Whatever it takes to get us in position to compete seriously for the Cup, I'm for. If Cole raises the 3rd line and Nike responds to being with his former line mates, I have ZERO problem with this arrangement. Nor will Cole care, eventually, so long as he is legitimately playing for a Cup. Right now, he can't say that the way we are playing.

JMHO. And my opinion hasn't really changed since Cole got here. The only thing that HAS changed is adding Pulkinnen to the top 3 lines. I think we keep him up. You can't keep a horse like that in the stable when the race is on. He's having far more impact than Junco or Andersson are. I like Andy better on the 4th line anyway. Jurco can keep stats until one of the others is either injured or stops playing. I don't think Pulkinnen will stop. You could also try Weiss again, although I've never seen much from Weiss other than in his first couple of games after returning. I'm kinda done with him at this point.

@SpikeDDS

To me, Zidlicky has been everything we could have asked for and then some, same with Cole. Abdelkader has been remarkable.

Everyone else, meh.

I don't understand it at all. Maybe we needed a slump so that everyone does not buy into the hype, forcing them to look in the mirror and have a gut check moment.

I like your forward lines, save for I LOVE Cole and Abby on a line together. They seem to make each other better. Just love the two of them together.

Defensively, we could mix it up a bit, did you see in todays game that Smith and Kronwall played together a fair amount? At first i thought one of them didn't get off the ice for a proper change, but then i realized that it was on purpose. Kronner also played with big E but he and Smith were good together.

How I would play our defense:

Kronwall and Dekeyser

Zidlicky and Ericsson

Smith and Quincey

I LOVE Zidlicky and his slap shot, he should rule the power play, I think we are going to see the team start to mesh soon, 8 of 10 at home will do that. Hopefully today is the turning point.

I like your forward lines, save for I LOVE Cole and Abby on a line together. They seem to make each other better. Just love the two of them together.

The only thing is that if you do this, you are left with a third line that is...meh. Lighter on the puck.

I actually read in Helene St. James' piece yesterday that Babcock is thinking of putting Cole with Sheahan for that EXACT reason. I say if we develop this 3rd line, advantage Wings.

Here's the thing: If we use the lines like I suggested, it will wear out the opposition more--all 3 defensive pairs. and THEN you can finish with Abby-Z-Cole if you need to, giving you that extra push toward the end of games, IF you need that. To me, wearing down pair #3 opens up LOTS of possibilities. When we are home, matching up the Helm-Pav-Tats line with a worn-down 3rd D pairing in the 3rd period. ME LIKEY!

As I said from the first day after we got Cole, I love the fact that he gives Babcock options. I just think he needs to develop more combinations than that one line, in major part, because then it gives us 3 big lines instead of only 2 plus a 3rd line. I like 3 lines that are close in offensive potential.

I dunno. As an opposing coach, which combo is easier for your team to match up with?

Now, having said that, chemistry DOES matter, so I'm not saying to try it and keep trying it if it isn't working long-term. But we haven't even really given it a go, and I think it LOOKS better on paper that way. Sounds like Babs is gonna try it, and that's good enough for me.

Defensively, we could mix it up a bit, did you see in todays game that Smith and Kronwall played together a fair amount? At first i thought one of them didn't get off the ice for a proper change, but then i realized that it was on purpose. Kronner also played with big E but he and Smith were good together.

How I would play our defense:

Kronwall and Dekeyser

Zidlicky and Ericsson

Smith and Quincey

I LOVE Zidlicky and his slap shot, he should rule the power play, I think we are going to see the team start to mesh soon, 8 of 10 at home will do that. Hopefully today is the turning point.

You know what? I'm getting to the point where I'm less worried about our lesser D-men. Smith is not without error, but they are becoming more rare, and that makes switching things up MUCH easier! A year ago, I would have said no way to Smith-Q. Not as much now. The ONLY thing we need to watch is that those two DO tend to be a bit more penalty-prone. If we're seeing more trips to the box with this pair, ya gotta break 'em up or Glendening and the PK boys--think Helm--are gonna be gassed by the end of it. I want Helmer fresh to keep Pav young! ;-)

I agree about Zed (as opposed to Z). Critical piece. I would like him paired with someone who will reliably stay home when he gets an opportunity to press in and shoot. But it's then also about the forwards getting back. Fortunately, Zed doesn't usually have to go too deep to let one loose. We've just gotta be disciplined is all.

I like Kronwall-DK as a pairing. What a pick-up DK has been. That pickup more than many of the other moves KH has made is more attributable to the culture KH has built with the Wings. DK could have gone anywhere. He liked what he saw, and it didn't hurt that he was in MI already. But how quickly he has really become a real leader in just a couple of seasons. We really had a defensive void at the time. DK saw a fantastic opportunity and has capitalized. Good for us.

Bottom line, you can pair up our D-men just about any way you want, and you're probably OK. Let the chemistry determine the rest. Hope the established Wings forwards learn to adjust to Cole, because it seems that's what still remains. Without Pav back, tho, it makes it harder to put Cole with Sheahan to let them get a feel for how they like to play and where they are. There's still that void in the top-2 lines, so can't commit yet.

It's funny that even though we are so much of a better team than we were last year when Pav was out, we still miss him. It just shows you how much you miss a guy like him when he's out. When you aren't very good, and you miss your top guy, it's obvious why. When you're team is better and you STILL miss him, you get a better understanding of how crucial he really is to your success. GET WELL SOON PAV!!

We should be pushing a button, but it's not labelled "PANIC."  This particular button has a picture of a squatting bull with a red circle and line through it.  I will submit however, that everyone needs a refresher course on where the panic button is just so it can be located quickly.

My own musing and please let me know if I'm off base on this:  Are the Red Wings getting too cute?  I'm speaking specifically of Tatar and Nyquist.  These two guys have incredible hands are extremely deft at playing the puck, however, neither has scored with the frequency that they were earlier this season.  I've seen a number of instances lately where Tatar and Nyquist skate around with the puck for several seconds looking for an opening, only to lose it because they were plowed by a defenseman or a lousy shot goes off a skate.  I think some of these teams are getting wise to their ways (which is actually a compliment to them because teams are considering them a more serious threat, and putting smarter defenders against them).  Datsyuk can do it because Datsyuk can dazzle players and put them back off their toes (he's Datsyuk!).  These two guys haven't reached that plateau yet, and this may be the reason why a lot of the goals recently are scored by Abby and Cole, two guys who just power into the net with brute force, or Zidlicky and Pulkkinen who just rocket a shot as hard as they can.  Just put the puck on net...

Do they even want to get in the playoffs?  Is there a big party in Sweden in the middle of April that these guys want to be available for?

@SpikeDDS said last year a couple times...time to start sitting people.  Howard should lose the head goalie job.  Nyquist needs to park a while and think it over.  Hell, even Dan Cleary would be a nice change of eager exhuberance on the ice for once.  Babcock is not doing anybody any favors right now.  Nice to see Weiss and Jurco find the back of the net.  With Cole gone for the next couple, Weiss is a decent alternative to a power forward on a line other than Abdelkader.  Really, it's time to stop playing keep away with the puck and just shoot it to the net.  Darren Helm had a wonderful opportunity at the end of the first when Niemi lost his goal stick.  He skated back around to the point looking for someone to pass to.  SHOOT!!

Do they even want to get in the playoffs?  Is there a big party in Sweden in the middle of April that these guys want to be available for?

@SpikeDDS said last year a couple times...time to start sitting people.  Howard should lose the head goalie job.  Nyquist needs to park a while and think it over.  Hell, even Dan Cleary would be a nice change of eager exhuberance on the ice for once.  Babcock is not doing anybody any favors right now.  Nice to see Weiss and Jurco find the back of the net.  With Cole gone for the next couple, Weiss is a decent alternative to a power forward on a line other than Abdelkader.  Really, it's time to stop playing keep away with the puck and just shoot it to the net.  Darren Helm had a wonderful opportunity at the end of the first when Niemi lost his goal stick.  He skated back around to the point looking for someone to pass to.  SHOOT!!

I cannot believe that Abdelkader has turned into the player that he has.

As for Howard, well, he has done nothing to hold onto his job. I go with Mrazek going forward.

I cannot believe that Abdelkader has turned into the player that he has.

As for Howard, well, he has done nothing to hold onto his job. I go with Mrazek going forward.

Well Abdul Khader was a very powerful man! (any Shantaram fans?)

Archived