When is Hexie really going to do something?

The Quigster

Howie,

Bellemare was just extended, and White should be available at a reasonable price. The Flyers are looking at around 4-7 million in cap space before Pronger's LTIR exemption, with no real top end talent available in FA, so he should be able to keep signing costs down. I'd almost prefer that he go with 6 veterans next year and keep the D prospects on the farm, unless they think they have someone who can pull top 4 minutes. Then you offload the guys at the end of their deals at the deadline and audition the best performers from the AHL over the last 20 games.

AJ:

Thanks for the Bellemare info; I agree with you on keeping low-cost vets around...stability might help a lot. I wonder about CC...cheap and competent.

Howie

I wonder about CC...cheap and competent.

I think he should be resigned he has looked good since being inserted back into the lineup. In fact he and MDZ have been the best two i think. The rest you can move for whatever you can get for them.

I think he should be resigned he has looked good since being inserted back into the lineup. In fact he and MDZ have been the best two i think. The rest you can move for whatever you can get for them.

I'm guessing he won't be resigned because we already have 7 guys without him for next year - MDZ, Streit, Schenn, Grossmann, Schultz, MacDud, Gudas.

He's served his purpose this year.

I'm guessing he won't be resigned because we already have 7 guys without him for next year - MDZ, Streit, Schenn, Grossmann, Schultz, MacDud, Gudas.

Jeepers:  Talk about cost-effectiveness...CC versus Grossmann, Schultz, MacDud....sad...but you are probably right.  I was hoping Grossmann would go by trade deadline....a bit surprised with Sergeant Schultz.  

Best,

Howie

I expect one or two of those not to come back ie................traded away at the draft maybe...if for no other reason they are just mediocre and they Hexy may want to remove some more money from the cap.

I'd love for them to be able to move Mcdud more than any but i can't see anyone dumb enough to take on that contract.

It's possible Hextall moves someone like Grossmann after the season.

I agree but if they were to move someone another team might like a younger option than Nick and combine that with the fact that Luke had been scratched several games during the season and was in Berube's dog house it could be Luke on the way out. Or not if they fire Berube and decide to give Luke another chance with a new coach.

But there is just no way they can start next season with MDZ, Streit, Schultz, Luke, Nick, Mcdud, Gudas and CC.

Maybe they can trade Luke and Nick since Gudas can play like them except i'm hoping he'll do it better and certainly cheaper. And when you consider CC and MDZ have been the best two defensemen since the trade deadline i'd try to keep him cheaply.

Howdy:

Budget aside, the question on our D is how fast or slow they bring in the youngins? And I have no answer to that other than obvious "they can't stay in the A forever."

But our salary problems may make change here slow. Grossmann is off the books after this year.  I am indifferent to LSchenn. Question there is whether he and his brother are viewed as tied at the hip?  

Best,

H

@OccamsRazor  They might have to give away draft picks to move some of these stiffs!!   As it stands right now, if Morin or Sanheim had wicked training camps, we couldn't keep them even if we wanted to....what a CRAPPY mess Homer left this team in!!

As it stands right now, if Morin or Sanheim had wicked training camps, we couldn't keep them even if we wanted to....what a CRAPPY mess Homer left this team in!!

Yeah but if you were to plan on keeping them you'd still have to move Luke and Nicke to do so if you waived both you'd still have to carry about 5 million of their combined 7 million in salary....that just wouldn't be a smart move. I'm trusting Hexy at least moves one of the two at the draft.

Then the other maybe during the offseason after other teams can sign free agents. I've have a feeling you can move them but it will be for next to nothing which i'd be ok with just to free up a roster spot and some cap space.  

Hexy isn't as stupid as Homer is i think....Homer would sign some new free agents be over the cap by 10 mill then try to move guys therefor completely losing all leverage because other teams would know he has to move them.

I don't think Hexy is that stupid he'll free up the cap space first or just roll with them till he can find a taker....which is the smart thing to do you don't paint yourself into a corner.

@OccamsRazor  They might have to give away draft picks to move some of these stiffs!!   As it stands right now, if Morin or Sanheim had wicked training camps, we couldn't keep them even if we wanted to....what a CRAPPY mess Homer left this team in!!

Good news!!!

NHL Transactionist @NHLTransactions

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS: Recalled defensemen Oliver Lauridsen and Mark Alt and

forward Jason Akeson from Lehigh Valley (AHL).

Streit & Colaiacovo will not play due to flu-like symptoms.

Howdy:

Budget aside, the question on our D is how fast or slow they bring in the youngins? And I have no answer to that other than obvious "they can't stay in the A forever."

But our salary problems may make change here slow. Grossmann is off the books after this year.  I am indifferent to LSchenn. Question there is whether he and his brother are viewed as tied at the hip?  

Best,

H

Sorry, I meant this coming year.

H

Ya, I've only been preaching the exact same thing since 2007. Other than the new coach thing. 

Well, I only joined recently, but yeah, 2007 was the ideal time for the Flyers to build responsibly through the draft and instead, Holmgren spent like a drunken sailor that off season and started making wholesale changes year after year from that point on. No continuity at all. I feel confident that that's going to be broken under Hextall.

Archived