When is Hexie really going to do something?

The Quigster

What this guy doing? Is he still taking plane rides with Clarkie? He deflects most questions,patience he says. Well now what Hexie?

According to Hextall himself, not much.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150327_Flyers__Hextall__Big_offseason_moves_unlikely.html

General manager Ron Hextall sees how the Flyers play against elite teams - in the last five weeks they have defeated Nashville, St. Louis, the New York Rangers, Detroit, and Chicago - and doesn't think he needs to make many offseason moves.

"There's not going to be a massive turnover," Hextall, who will have limited offseason cap space unless he can shed some salaries, said while watching the Flyers whip the Blackhawks, 4-1, at the Wells Fargo Center on Wednesday. "I think we're a better team than we've played."

First off what is he "really" gonna say.  I don't think for one iota of a bit he is gonna tip his hand.  At this point let the season ride out.

Second of all what "can he really do" at this moment in time.  Nothing.  The trade line as long been gone and we are not at free agency yet, not the draft, nor do we know what coaches are / will be available.

This team is bad and he knows it, but until the season is over there nothing anything can be done.

Changes are coming...we just need to be patient.

I don't know that he thinks the team doesn't need much - that's not how it came across when we spoke to him last night. If anything, it's likely more a function of what he can do with the limited maneuverability he was left by his predecessor. But he's also somewhat right. Look at the pieces the Flyers have as opposed to what the Devils have, or Carolina, who are right below them in the standings. Not all of the pieces fit right, but they're in better shape than some of the organizations that will be drafting around the same time. Of course, they're probably in worse shape than Columbus, but Columbus needs a whole new training staff.

"I think we're a better team than we've played."

From the article:

General manager Ron Hextall sees how the Flyers play against elite teams - in the last five weeks they have defeated Nashville, St. Louis, the New York Rangers, Detroit, and Chicago - and doesn't think he needs to make many offseason moves.

Nashville dogged it and played for the point - and Chicago and St. Louis weren't playing "playoff hockey" by a long shot against a non-Conference opponent . Detroit is collapsing.

And the Flyers caught the Rangers at home, with the Rags on an 11-1-2 run and they've gone 8-2-1 after that loss. That's the difference between an "elite" team and one that "gets up to play tough opponents."

And for all the vaunted "lost 4-3 to the Cup Finalist Rangers" in 2014, in 2013 the Red Wings lost to (Cup Finalist) Chicago 4-3 and San Jose lost to (Conference Finalist) Los Angeles 4-3.

This year, San Jose is way out of the picture and Detroit (3-6-1 in last 10) is apparently trying to catch Ottawa.

Meanwhile the Flyers have one (1) playoff round in the past three seasons.

Again, I think this team should be in the playoff conversation (which they were until they flamed out brilliantly against Boston and then phoned it in). But to put them in the "Stanley Cup Contender" category because they won a few "big" games in a lost season is foolish.

Because while they "beat" (at home) St. Louis, Chicago, etc. they "lost" to Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, New Jersey, Toronto, Carolina, Buffalo, Columbus and Dallas...

Does anyone honestly expect Hextall to come out and say that the Flyers need a top line left winger, a second line center, some goal scoring wingers on the third line, a legitimate number one defenseman and a back up goaltender? Come on now. Just telegraph the league the moves you need to make. As others have pointed out, patience is going to be required because to fix what is broken isn't going to be an over night process. The farm system for this club is just starting to get filled with players again and in another draft or two, it should be very deep. The Flyers are also saddled with some bad contracts (in terms of cap space and no movement clauses) and the only way to move them will be to give up additional assets or eat a big portion of the contract. The cap space needs to be under control before any moves like that can be made. Hextall inherited a mess. He started correcting things by moving out Timonen and Coburn and he'll do more once more contracts lose another year. I expect that when the off season rolls around and they get their cap numbers, you'll see more guys who have one year left on their contracts be moved. I'd say so far, Hextall has done a good job, especially when you consider how handcuffed he's been.

Just telegraph the league the moves you need to make.

Do you honestly think that the rest of the league doesn't know that the Flyers need a top line left winger, a second line center, some goal scoring depth wingers, a number one D and a backup goalie?

Do you honestly think that the rest of the league doesn't know that the Flyers need a top line left winger, a second line center, some goal scoring depth wingers, a number one D and a backup goalie?

Absolutely. At the same time, the years of buying players has finally caught up with this club. Why not try developing some of the players they have, instead of making panic moves and giving up young players/picks/cap space? Why go free agent spending when a solution could be found in house? First thing is first before any player acquisitions are made - they need a new coach. That should be the priority over any player acquisition.

Absolutely. At the same time, the years of buying players has finally caught up with this club. Why not try developing some of the players they have, instead of making panic moves and giving up young players/picks/cap space? Why go free agent spending when a solution could be found in house? First thing is first before any player acquisitions are made - they need a new coach. That should be the priority over any player acquisition.

because if you dont have the right player in your system, you have to go out and make a move for that player, what players do the flyers have right now in the system that will fit on the first line? most of them are grinders and two-way forwards, they need a sniper on that first line. it's possible they will get one in the draft but they have to be lucky for that player to fall to them, the other thing is hextall going to draft that player or is that player going to be what we want to him to be?

raffl is not the right player, neither is schenn, they are not goal scorers, you have to make a move to get one.

Howdy:

Let's not forget that the depreciation of the Canadian dollar due to oil/natural resource price collapse virtually assures that the salary cap will remain flat, probably for the next several years.  He is stuck with some long-term salaries.  Next year, he may have to play a wait-and-see with our friend Read; maybe Umberger is serviceable. . . . and if you listen to noise, maybe our friend LVC either retires or makes it clear he is open to more options for his career.  

So...agreed Hexy may not telegraph reality. But the big picture tells me he doesn't have many degree of freedom to make big changes for the next year.  That's why I have low expectations for '16 even with a coaching change.  Short-term, I think the "big" decisions may be who to keep among the "marginals" like Bellemare, White, and CC--the latter showing more poise of late than we've seen from most of the defensive corps all year.  Seriously--does he keep these guys, find other "marginals," or start freeing up space for the youngins at LV?  

Best,

Howie

Best,,

Howie

because if you dont have the right player in your system, you have to go out and make a move for that player, what players do the flyers have right now in the system that will fit on the first line? most of them are grinders and two-way forwards, they need a sniper on that first line. it's possible they will get one in the draft but they have to be lucky for that player to fall to them, the other thing is hextall going to draft that player or is that player going to be what we want to him to be?

raffl is not the right player, neither is schenn, they are not goal scorers, you have to make a move to get one.

I agree with a lot of that, but I do have one question:  System?  We have a system?

Howie,

Bellemare was just extended, and White should be available at a reasonable price. The Flyers are looking at around 4-7 million in cap space before Pronger's LTIR exemption, with no real top end talent available in FA, so he should be able to keep signing costs down. I'd almost prefer that he go with 6 veterans next year and keep the D prospects on the farm, unless they think they have someone who can pull top 4 minutes. Then you offload the guys at the end of their deals at the deadline and audition the best performers from the AHL over the last 20 games.

if hexy just get's a good defensive coach, get's a first line winger scorer, get mobile on defense by getting rid of grossman, schenn, mcdonald, vinny, keep cc and mdz and sign another mobile defensemen, think this team can contend.

if hexy just get's a good defensive coach, get's a first line winger scorer, get mobile on defense by getting rid of grossman, schenn, mcdonald, vinny, keep cc and mdz and sign another mobile defensemen, think this team can contend.

LOL (I don't disagree).  That sounds like "if we get a hull, a mast, a sail, a crew, and some water I think this boat might float."

"if we get a hull, a mast, a sail, a crew, and some water I think this boat might float."

LOL. If I had a cerebellum, a cerebral cortex and a medulla I'd be able to post something intelligent on this site for once.

:)   Well, you just painted a definition of an overhaul. 

Ya, I've only been preaching the exact same thing since 2007. Other than the new coach thing. 

Archived