RIP, Elegant Elmer

ScottM

Very unfortunate. Far too young....

Nice random fact, he led the league in points more than Richard did.... in fact, Richard never led the league in points..

1943-44 NHL 72 (5)
1944-45 NHL 80 (1)
1945-46 NHL 47 (7)
1947-48 NHL 61 (1)
1951-52 NHL 65 (3)

Assists 

1942-43 NHL 40 (5)
1943-44 NHL 48 (2)
1944-45 NHL 54 (1)
1945-46 NHL 34 (1)
1947-48 NHL 31 (4)
1949-50 NHL 33 (5)
1951-52 NHL 50 (1)

also, he led the league in ppg with 1.60, the next person had 1.46. His teammate, Richard.

He was definitely more than just the guy that set up Richard, in some years, he was even better.

RIP Elmer Lach

The Habs franchise, already reeling from the untimely death of Jean Beliveau, has lost yet another all time great and Hockey Hall of Famer Elmer Lach. He was one of the great players of his era, and formed 1/3rd of one of the best hockey lines of all time, the Punch Line....which consisted of Elmer Lach at Center, Maurice (Rocket) RIchard at Right Wing and Left WInger Toe Blake, who of course, went on to be one of the greatest coaches of all time once his playing career finished.

Due to the physical way Lach played the game, he missed 219 games in his career with 7 broken noses and 2 smashed jaws. Ironically, one of Lach's broken noses came from an overzealous Rocket Richard, who was celebrating Lach's game winning OT Game #7 series winning goal. What a legend this guy was, the hockey community is mourning today, the loss of one of the all time great center ice-men ever. His #16 has been retired by the Canadians for decades, a very fitting honour.

02.jpg?ts=20150404105658

I kinda forget how to do it...can somebody cut and paste this pic of Mr.Lach into the Banners running in the front page of the site?

The Montreal Old-Timers used to play at our rink to help us raise money.   I was the guy who arranged their pay, and I can attest to the fact that they didn't do it for the money.  We provided beer, dinner and a few bucks.   They did it for friendship, the love of hockey and because they were decent guys who wanted to help.  Elmer Lach was one of that group.  

All I remember of him was that he was a quiet gentleman, as were most of those exceptional people.

He was a hell of a hockey player.  He earned his stripes.  Could have sat around and enjoyed his retirement.

But, on cold, crappy, winter nights, he got on a bus and traveled to Vermont to help us pay our bills.

Hockey players are special people.

Shouldn't the two threads be merged?

Fine by me, if hf or the mods see fit to do so. I'm okay with it being merged in either direction depending on which forum they think it's more at home in.

Fine by me, if hf or the mods see fit to do so. I'm okay with it being merged in either direction depending on which forum they think it's more at home in.

Then the mods need to do their damn jobs....

:ph34r:

@OccamsRazor  very cool article....I always knew Stewart was a tough SOB...but to hang in there with Stan Jonathan....I'm impressed. I always thought Stan Johnathan was one of the toughest pound for pound guys to ever lace up skates....still think that.

Archived