3 to go and the Hockey Gods are smiling down on my Sabres

Buffalo Rick

It is the eleventh hour at First Niagra Center and at the Harbor.  I am sure they are still pouring drinks at the Pearl Street Grill and on the cobblestone path that runs just up the street.  There is an optimistic atmosphere here that has not been in the air since perhaps back in 06 or when Miller and Vanek and Pommenville wore the blue and gold.  It now seems a mathematical certainty that either Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel will be coming to play for our Sabres and likely some good free agents that will be eager to play along side this team that is growing in talent by the day.  Evander Kane and Sam Reinhart and guys like Moulson, Ristolanin and Bogosian and oh yeah, Girgensons!!  Remember that guy?  You will.  Most are likely hoping the balll drop in 14 days goes our way and that would mean McDavid would  be a Sabre.  But if that does not happen, we are gauranteed a guy that is not a consolation prize but a franchise player.  It matters not as long as we get one of these kids and then Murray can go to work and build a monster with the remaining quality picks.  A Monster I say!  And perhaps the second coming of Perrault.

@Hockey Junkie  There are some question marks like Evander Kane, but every core has a few key "what if's"....that is nothing new. Slowly but surely (really, the *right* way to do these things) they are accumulating assets and the early results are showing some very positive results. This next draft is HUGE for the Sabres and it does look like you will get one of the big 2....which means guaranteed stardom in the near future....kinda cool.

@Hockey Junkie  There are some question marks like Evander Kane, but every core has a few key "what if's"....that is nothing new. Slowly but surely (really, the *right* way to do these things) they are accumulating assets and the early results are showing some very positive results. This next draft is HUGE for the Sabres and it does look like you will get one of the big 2....which means guaranteed stardom in the near future....kinda cool.

I just ripped into a couple of clowns on the Buffalo News that think Nolan will be fired.  They are so full of it. Another guy agrees with me, he kept them in games they could have been blown out big time in.  He has earned a shot.  He was a victim of racism back in the late 90's.  I think Ted does deserve a shot to coach this team with some real players like they will have next year.  Yes, HUGE draft.  The biggest since their inception and the coin flip win over Vancouver that got us one Gilbert Perrault.  If either of these these guys turn out to be anything like Perrault, i will take it

@Hockey Junkie

I think Nolan deserves credit for the dignity and respect that he brought to this job and to this team, he kept them from becoming a laughing stock with his quiet demeanor and nobility. He should never have to buy his own drink in Buffalo again.

That said, it might be time to bring in someone for the next step, Nolan has been a teaching coach, it might be time for someone who demands more.

@Hockey Junkie

I think Nolan deserves credit for the dignity and respect that he brought to this job and to this team, he kept them from becoming a laughing stock with his quiet demeanor and nobility. He should never have to buy his own drink in Buffalo again.

That said, it might be time to bring in someone for the next step, Nolan has been a teaching coach, it might be time for someone who demands more.

That would not be fair to Ted IMO and he was screwed once by former owners here already.  Alot of young players will be part of next years team as well as some highly coveted vets that will want to play with one of these two kids assuming we do not mess this up in the last 3 games. Arizona may do the job for us tonight?  Nolan did one heck of a job with Latvia.  So he can coach with the best of them.  He should not be fired due to his race or any other reason at this stage.  He has earned the right to hold the seat

That would not be fair to Ted IMO and he was screwed once by former owners here already.  Alot of young players will be part of next years team as well as some highly coveted vets that will want to play with one of these two kids assuming we do not mess this up in the last 3 games. Arizona may do the job for us tonight?  Nolan did one heck of a job with Latvia.  So he can coach with the best of them.  He should not be fired due to his race or any other reason at this stage.  He has earned the right to hold the seat

Ted Nolan knows what he`s doing.... for the better of the franchise :ph34r:

@Hockey Junkie  There does not seem to be any quit in these Sabres, kudos for their last win....the could have folded like an accordion but showed some real grit and tenacity winning that game. At least they are going out like men, not like little weasels!

You have said it a few times....sure McDavid is the big prize, but finishing last assures you have getting Eichel at the very least....so either way you slice it, if the Sabres finish last, they will have McDavid/Eichel AND Bennett as their top 6 centers. Any great team is very talented down the middle, so the Sabres are gonna have this covered in spades. They have a ton of defensive prospects, so the only two areas they would have to address in coming drafts and free agency is wingers and securing the goalie of the future. Lindbck has looked very nice of late, but don't think he's a legit #1....they need to draft somebody...OR sign the Hamburgler as a restriced FA this summer. They could make some poison pills that would scare off the Sens from matching.

@Hockey Junkie  There does not seem to be any quit in these Sabres, kudos for their last win....the could have folded like an accordion but showed some real grit and tenacity winning that game. At least they are going out like men, not like little weasels!

You have said it a few times....sure McDavid is the big prize, but finishing last assures you have getting Eichel at the very least....so either way you slice it, if the Sabres finish last, they will have McDavid/Eichel AND Bennett as their top 6 centers. Any great team is very talented down the middle, so the Sabres are gonna have this covered in spades. They have a ton of defensive prospects, so the only two areas they would have to address in coming drafts and free agency is wingers and securing the goalie of the future. Lindbck has looked very nice of late, but don't think he's a legit #1....they need to draft somebody...OR sign the Hamburgler as a restriced FA this summer. They could make some poison pills that would scare off the Sens from matching.

What I fear is a win vs Pittsburgh.  We should get rolled by Columbus, and let me tell you, God forbid had they got in.  Next year i say nothing stops Columbus  from getting in and if they were to land McDavid, yikes.  We need to lose the last two games.  I know Arizona will lose at Vancouver and Calgary.  So if we lose at Columbus we need only lose at Pittsburgh to seal number 30.  But Pittsburgh is such a mess I worry and Nolan had best not win that game and blow losing Eichel.  Edmonton likely has Hanifin jersey's sold already.  I think that is his name?  The D man?  If we were to finish tied with Arizona I am not sure but think we would be 29th?  Disaster.  We want 30th.  If we were to blow it I would pass on the defenseman and take Strome.  

Must add, I think Talbot will  be available this summer.  The Rangers cannot keep them both.  He is not a guy that will want to be on the bench next year.  So they may have to deal him.  The Sabres should consider going after him or trying to lure Miller back

You need to get 3 points in 2 games to fall out of last, Arizona has more regular/OT wins than Buffalo, so a tie and the Yotes finish higher in the standings. Columbus is playing well, you just need to hope the Sabres don't take them to OT. Beating Pittsburgh is a real possibility, especially if  they lose to the Isles and Ottawa beats the Rangers and Flyers, placing all the pressure on the Pens.

Archived