Ray Shero new GM of the Devils

hf101

Their drafting of forwards has been bad for a while, but they've done a damn good job with defensemen. Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas, Severson, Santini were all picked from 2009-2013 when they were focusing on rebuilding the defense and still had Parise and/or Kovalchuk to build around. They've only recently started to go forward heavy in the draft (13 of their last 18 picks). Plus you add in trading the 9th overall pick in 2013 for Schneider (which was a great move), and then having what would have been 11th overall turned into 30th overall in 2014 because of the Kovalchuk penalty, and they haven't really had the chance to draft the top end forward prospects they need.

@hf101  He deserved that. When the rest of the Devils were looking to the off season, Tootoo was scoring key goals and busting his butt!!  Nice to see hard work rewarded!

The devils seem able to take guys we all think are done and make them somewhat serviceable.

Bernier double his point total over anything in the last 4 years. So did Gomez lol.

I wonder if they would take Burish from us + a 6th for free?

This is a team that needs a true stockpile of picks to renew their pool.

@mojo1917

Neal wasn't drafted. Despres isn't a bad pick. Pouliot came with the pick he got for Staal who was a 2nd overall to begin with and certainly no Toews, who he could have had.. Really, the only good pick Shero made in his entire tenure was Olli Maata.

When everyone was crediting Shero for being a brilliant gm...he was brilliant because he inherited Crosby/Malkin/Fleury and a 2nd overall pick.

I dunno. Anaheim fans are currently in love with Despres. So he may have turned out to be a GREAT pick, but mishandled in the pens system. All the ducks fans expected him to be scratched for their other guys and acquisitions, but then were shocked that he grabbed the job and did so well

Their drafting of forwards has been bad for a while, but they've done a damn good job with defensemen. Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas, Severson, Santini were all picked from 2009-2013 when they were focusing on rebuilding the defense and still had Parise and/or Kovalchuk to build around. They've only recently started to go forward heavy in the draft (13 of their last 18 picks). Plus you add in trading the 9th overall pick in 2013 for Schneider (which was a great move), and then having what would have been 11th overall turned into 30th overall in 2014 because of the Kovalchuk penalty, and they haven't really had the chance to draft the top end forward prospects they need.

What sort of forward do you see them going after?

I dunno. Anaheim fans are currently in love with Despres. So he may have turned out to be a GREAT pick, but mishandled in the pens system. All the ducks fans expected him to be scratched for their other guys and acquisitions, but then were shocked that he grabbed the job and did so well

One of the bad trades at the deadline. Despres was one of the rare physical defencemen the Pens had, and you need that in postseason.

oh i'm on totes in the Simon Depres fan club... i have no idea why Blysma never played him, and why Johnston didn't either , every time I watched the Pens he stood out as being a good defender , not a sissy, and a smart player he pinched at good times, backed off at good times... i was a fan, and openly pined for a player like him to be in the Flyers system...it was somewhat embarrassing actually.  I was being my typical underselling self when i called him a "not bad pick" fc knows I'm a Depres fan.

What sort of forward do you see them going after?

I'm still holding out hope that Marner drops to #6. If not, I think Barzal probably makes the most sense. They really only have one true center, and that's Zajac. So I'd like to them draft a center. Although I'd be lying if I said Crouse didn't sound like a prototypical Devils forward, which worries me. I think he's going to be a good player, but I'm not sure good enough to be taken that high.

Lou and Shero have both made mention of the Devils being in a good cap situation, so I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get a cap dump forward from somebody either. They've got 2 2nd round picks and could maybe package one of them with Merrill or Gelinas for some forward help.

I'm still holding out hope that Marner drops to #6. If not, I think Barzal probably makes the most sense. They really only have one true center, and that's Zajac. So I'd like to them draft a center. Although I'd be lying if I said Crouse didn't sound like a prototypical Devils forward, which worries me. I think he's going to be a good player, but I'm not sure good enough to be taken that high.

Lou and Shero have both made mention of the Devils being in a good cap situation, so I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get a cap dump forward from somebody either. They've got 2 2nd round picks and could maybe package one of them with Merrill or Gelinas for some forward help.

Marner is better than Strome IMO, so I don't blame you. I also don't know why Crouse is rated so high. Yes he is a physical corner mucking go to the net guy, but that's all I see from him. I have a hard time thinking of drafting a guy for a niche skillset when more dynamic options are available.

Marner is better than Strome IMO, so I don't blame you. I also don't know why Crouse is rated so high. Yes he is a physical corner mucking go to the net guy, but that's all I see from him. I have a hard time thinking of drafting a guy for a niche skillset when more dynamic options are available.

That's my thinking as well. If you've already got some dynamic players, he wouldn't be a bad addition. The Devils don't have dynamic forwards though, so drafting Crouse would be more of the same. He would be their best forward prospect, but unless he's the next Parise for Zajac I'm not sure how productive he's going to be. I'd rather get a more highly skilled center like Marner or Barzal and then focus on the wings.

Archived