Free Agents Galore: Who Stays, who comes, who goes?

ScottM

dstafford21.jpg

The Jets have a ridiculous number of free agents this year. According to HockeyBuzz.com, they have eleven unrestricted and eleven restricted. The offseason should be pretty busy in Winnipeg. With so many contracts expiring, how do the Jets prioritize?

I've got to think Peter Budaj is gone. He was waived this season and reassigned to St. John's. I'm far from sold on Michael Hutchinson, but I suspect that if they want to make a change at number two, it'll come in the form of Connor Hellebucyk. He raised some eyebrows at the world championships, and may have proven himself ready for the big time. I can't imagine the Jets holding onto Budaj just to have him in the AHL.

It appears that Frolik may be allowed to shop around. That brings the focus to Drew Stafford, whom the Jets appear to be very keen to hold onto. I think that's a must. If Frolik goes, a decent amount of offense goes. With Jiri Tlusty not really panning out (I think he's gone too), the Jets must hold onto Stafford. Who else do they go after to add some more offense? They're going to have to do it.

Mike Fisher looks like a lock to re-up in Nashville. What about St. Louis? I know Philly may be after him, but why not Winnipeg as well? No Frolik, no Budaj, no Tlusty would mean they free up over $7.6 million in cap space. They could add St. Louis and still have some money to play with. This may be the perfect chance for the Jets to get rid of some dead weight and add some firepower at the same time. If Frolik does end up staying, how much does it take to lure St. Louis? He's at $5 million now, but I can't see him staying there? Could the Jets still make enough room for him?

I may be totally out in left field, but it seems to me that those pieces could be a good way for the Jets to continue building short term. Anyone else?

The Flyers after MSL? I don't think so.

Actually, yeah, scratch that. I just realized it was a Fansided article. Lol. That's what happens when I can't give my full attention.

Regardless, I could see him as an excellent target for the Jets. I really think he would have something to offer with their less than consistent offense.

@ScottM

Stafford will be resigned. Looking more and more like Frolik won't. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/frolik-not-worth-huge--303856811.html

Tlusty I can't see them interested in re-signing. Will they re-sign Jim Slater? He's an original Thrasher. That's a toss up.

Can't see the Jets in the market for old guys like St. Louis. He wouldn't want to come to Wpg anyway. Can't see it. Jets will stick with the youth movement with guys like Andrew Copp who saw action in the last regular season game. That and guys like Armia who they got in the Kane deal will get a chance.

@ScottM

Stafford will be resigned. Looking more and more like Frolik won't. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/frolik-not-worth-huge--303856811.html

Tlusty I can't see them interested in re-signing. Will they re-sign Jim Slater? He's an original Thrasher. That's a toss up.

Can't see the Jets in the market for old guys like St. Louis. He wouldn't want to come to Wpg anyway. Can't see it. Jets will stick with the youth movement with guys like Andrew Copp who saw action in the last regular season game. That and guys like Armia who they got in the Kane deal will get a chance.

If they don't go after a big name forward, do you think they'll relapse a bit this season and begin a longer term growth with the young guys? Because personally, I can't see them doing much next season if they don't sign someone.

As for Frolik, I also saw a Winnipeg Sun article that suggested he was unlikely to return. Apparently Stafford is their top target, and like you said, I highly doubt he's going anywhere.

If they don't go after a big name forward, do you think they'll relapse a bit this season and begin a longer term growth with the young guys? Because personally, I can't see them doing much next season if they don't sign someone.

As for Frolik, I also saw a Winnipeg Sun article that suggested he was unlikely to return. Apparently Stafford is their top target, and like you said, I highly doubt he's going anywhere.

I think fans' expectations are now raised and they will expect them to make the playoffs again. So there will be pressure for them to sign Frolik, but not at any price. Frolik would be a loss - he does a lot of little things, is versatile and smart.  But if they can't get him at a reasonable price, I think they will try to find those qualities in the marketplace.

Perreault was their big FA signing last summer and he's a gem. Chevy will look for more guys like that. I could see them interested in Beleskey. I think they want to get bigger and tougher. That sounds weird, because the Jets are big and tough and fast. But they got beat by a bigger, tougher, faster team in the Ducks. That's not lost on them. 

@JackStraw@ScottM

MSL has stated that he wants to sign a one or at most two year contract to remain a Ranger and then retire. He and Boyle are tight, he likely isn't going anywhere.

Stafford absolutely has to be resigned. He rediscovered his passion for the game that had kind of went away playing for the Buffalo Foreign Legion team. Big, a goal scorer, the press likes him and a locker room favorite, he should absolutely not be allowed to go anywhere.

Only so much money to go around, of the rest, Frolik and Tlusty are the two that I would try to retain, at best you could only keep one in all likelihood. Slater, nah, dime a dozen fourth liner, plays hard but not very talented and lots of kids coming up pushing for jobs. The Jets have a deep system and better options.

Scott you and I seem to be the only ones not sold on Hutchinson. He was hot early in the year, pushing Pavelec for the starting job but cooled off significantly down the stretch and lost the job back to Pavelec who is Lehtonen revisited. If this team has an achiles heal it is netminding, for some reason they give chance after chance to Pavelec, he had the shutouts and they rode him hard at the end of the year to earn the team their first ever postseason in Winnipeg but for most of the year he was pedestrian. I think they will likely go with Pavs and Hutch again to start the year which might be a mistake. Lots of goalies available for cheap, if they are aggressive they could add a Craig Anderson or someone like that to fix the only real hole on the team.

@JackStraw@ScottM

MSL has stated that he wants to sign a one or at most two year contract to remain a Ranger and then retire. He and Boyle are tight, he likely isn't going anywhere.

Stafford absolutely has to be resigned. He rediscovered his passion for the game that had kind of went away playing for the Buffalo Foreign Legion team. Big, a goal scorer, the press likes him and a locker room favorite, he should absolutely not be allowed to go anywhere.

Only so much money to go around, of the rest, Frolik and Tlusty are the two that I would try to retain, at best you could only keep one in all likelihood. Slater, nah, dime a dozen fourth liner, plays hard but not very talented and lots of kids coming up pushing for jobs. The Jets have a deep system and better options.

Scott you and I seem to be the only ones not sold on Hutchinson. He was hot early in the year, pushing Pavelec for the starting job but cooled off significantly down the stretch and lost the job back to Pavelec who is Lehtonen revisited. If this team has an achiles heal it is netminding, for some reason they give chance after chance to Pavelec, he had the shutouts and they rode him hard at the end of the year to earn the team their first ever postseason in Winnipeg but for most of the year he was pedestrian. I think they will likely go with Pavs and Hutch again to start the year which might be a mistake. Lots of goalies available for cheap, if they are aggressive they could add a Craig Anderson or someone like that to fix the only real hole on the team.

Agree on Strafford, not Tlusty - unless he comes really, really cheap.

Re goaltending, I don't think Jets fans are sold on either Pavs or Hutch. I think they appreciate and respect Pavs for his late season heroics. But that doesn't mean they think he's their goalie of the future. That is Helleybuck. But he's a year away, at least.

@yave1964 I wasn't aware that MSL had made the comment about wanting to retire in New York. You can find several articles speculating about him with not too much work, so that was kind of what I was going on.

But as far as Tlusty is concerned, I'm completely with @Podein25 there. He was too much of a bust. If I were in management in Winnipeg, I wouldn't want to sink anything else into him. I just don't see enough promise.

Something kinda funny about Pavalec: I have a friend that has never followed hockey all of a sudden decide to turn himself into a hockey "expert." One day when some of my friends who are casual fans were raving over Quick, I pointed out that his stats weren't all that great, and my friend who was trying to be the expert told me that the only goalie he would possibly take over Quick was Pavalec (who was middle of the pack in save percentage and goals against average at the time). I jokingly told him to lay off the weed and he came back at me talking about one big game that Pavelec had a couple of days earlier and said, "YOU lay off the weed!" I came back with the stats, and his days of "experthood" suddenly and mysteriously ended without another word. Lol

@ScottM

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2015/4/10/8381933/martin-st-louis-i-want-to-finish-my-career-as-a-ranger

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25143510/martin-st-louis-wants-to-play-next-year-finish-career-with-rangers

barring the Rangers seriously lowballing him (anything is possible with Slats) he is wearing a blue sweater again next year, likely his final year in the NHL. He has stated categorically that he only wants to play for the Rangers and is a class act, I do not see him getting into a bidding war and going elsewhere.

@yave1964 If he likes it there, it makes sense for a couple of reasons. The fact that he likes it and the fact that they'll give him one of the best chances for another Cup. I couldn't blame him on either account.

I still might give it a shot if I'm a GM elsewhere, though. Nothing to lose.

I see 3 rookies cracking the Jets roster. Ejlers and Petan are close to locks moving forward. Josh Morrisey was one of the last cuts in TC last year, I see him making the jump, he's a great skater and his all round game is gonna force a vet out off the roster. Right there, you have 3 roster spots who will only count as 3 mill against the cap. Perreault had one of the best years in the entire league as far as secondary scoring goes. If I had to pick between Frolik and Stafford, it's Stafford all day long. He plays a terriffic 200 foot game and is one of those vets who can teach your kids on the ice AND how to live off the ice, just an all round quality human being.

I think Hutch is a great goalie, and he was among the league leaders before struggling in Feb and March and losing his hold on the starting job. Very, very nice fundamentally sound goalie who is only going to get better. If Helleybuck is as good as advertised, I see Pavlec being the odd man out eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

define the moon?

4.5 million? That is the most I see him getting

If its $4.5M, I expect the Jets to retain him. His agent Allan Walsh has snookered Chevy in the past (Pavelec), and Im guessing he wants in the range of $5.5M. I think anything north of $5M, the Jets wash thier hands with him IMO.

If its $4.5M, I expect the Jets to retain him. His agent Allan Walsh has snookered Chevy in the past (Pavelec), and Im guessing he wants in the range of $5.5M. I think anything north of $5M, the Jets wash thier hands with him IMO.

5.5? for a 19 goal, 42 point scorer? I doubt he asks for that much.

5.5? for a 19 goal, 42 point scorer? I doubt he asks for that much.

He was in the same spot a year ago. Wanted a long term deal, but settled for a one year at $3.5M? Somewhere around there.

I agree, like many others, he's a $4-$4.5M guy. Brings more to the table than just his 40 points.

I'm going to guess, whetever he gets, the first number will be a 5, He will be over paid. Of course this is my opinion, based on the stuff i've read over the last year.

• 2 weeks later...

My bad. The market is low it seems. If it was money he was looking for, he could have got what Calgary paid him. I guess it was a term thing? Or just wanted out of Winnipeg.

Archived