• Chicago Blackhawks in 7
    • Tampa Bay Lightning in 4
    • Tampa Bay Lightning in 5
    • Tampa Bay Lightning in 6
    • Tampa Bay Lightning in 7

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it's fitting that a lot of people and sites are writing Tampa off, just like they have in every series these playoffs at some point.

Heh...pretty much.

And not that it means a whole lot, but well, something for Bolts fans to hang their goalie masks on:

--Bolts were down 3-2 to a Red Wings team that, while the Bolts were favored over, were supposed to 'put away' TB because the Wings 'knew how to close out opponents'..... A Tyler Johnson, Ben Bishop shut out, and two games later, the Bolts were shaking hands as the WINNERS.

--Tampa Bay needs to win two in a row against Chicago. Impossible you say? Well, the Lightning started the series down 1-0, came back to win the next two. It CAN be done.

--All of Chicago's wins were 2-1. Two to FREAKING one!!  That means, that while clutch players have stepped up for the Hawks, they STILL haven't exactly blown the Lightning away on ANY of their wins and the Bolts continue to get opportunities.....opportunities, that, granted, the Bolts have yet to capitalize on during those losses, but there nonetheless!

--Steve Stamkos hasn't gotten going yet. You mean to tell me the Hawks are going to completely shut this guy out for the series?? Have a hard time buying that. Mr. Stamkos, you have one (two if you show up in Game 6) games to break through the Hawks' "gang coverage".

--And finally, the posts. They have worked against both teams, but I will admit, I swear the posts usually wear Tampa Bay white n blue sweaters with a bolt slash across the chest!  Posts have been VERY friendly to the Lightning, and I believe Mr. and Mrs. Post don't want this series to end just yet, and they will find a way to confound the Hawks' offense once again!

So there you have it, @TBD_94 , some POSITIVITY sprinkled on top of the general perception that the "Bolts are done".  :lol:

Heh...pretty much.

And not that it means a whole lot, but well, something for Bolts fans to hang their goalie masks on:

--Bolts were down 3-2 to a Red Wings team that, while the Bolts were favored over, were supposed to 'put away' TB because the Wings 'knew how to close out opponents'..... A Tyler Johnson, Ben Bishop shut out, and two games later, the Bolts were shaking hands as the WINNERS.

--Tampa Bay needs to win two in a row against Chicago. Impossible you say? Well, the Lightning started the series down 1-0, came back to win the next two. It CAN be done.

--All of Chicago's wins were 2-1. Two to FREAKING one!!  That means, that while clutch players have stepped up for the Hawks, they STILL haven't exactly blown the Lightning away on ANY of their wins and the Bolts continue to get opportunities.....opportunities, that, granted, the Bolts have yet to capitalize on during those losses, but there nonetheless!

--Steve Stamkos hasn't gotten going yet. You mean to tell me the Hawks are going to completely shut this guy out for the series?? Have a hard time buying that. Mr. Stamkos, you have one (two if you show up in Game 6) games to break through the Hawks' "gang coverage".

--And finally, the posts. They have worked against both teams, but I will admit, I swear the posts usually wear Tampa Bay white n blue sweaters with a bolt slash across the chest!  Posts have been VERY friendly to the Lightning, and I believe Mr. and Mrs. Post don't want this series to end just yet, and they will find a way to confound the Hawks' offense once again!

So there you have it, @TBD_94 , some POSITIVITY sprinkled on top of the general perception that the "Bolts are done".  :lol:

Well, the Bolts aren't done by any means, but Tyler Johnson HAS to get going again if they even have a chance. I think that a lot of the game is mental, and he has to step up and answer that challenge when fatigue is a MAJOR factor right now. Also, I will take some crap for stating this, especially when he only gave up 2 goals, but I think Cooper made a mistake going back to Bishop. Vas has played very well for them. Being that Vas is more of a 'stay at home' goalie, they very well might have avoided that Sharp goal. I know it was an accidental collision, but...

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Gotta wonder what a different series this is if Tampa doesn't go into a shell in game 1 and pulls that game out.

I mean, who's to say they win games 2 and 3 if they win the first.  But pretending they do, they go into game four 3 games to 1, and game five 3-2.  Just such a different dynamic.

Certainly they can still pull this out.  They've proven they're capable.  It just remains to be seen if they WILL.

All I'm saying, to remain cautious, is that Chicago is a vastly different animal than any of the first three teams they've faced.  

Well, the Bolts aren't done by any means, but Tyler Johnson HAS to get going again if they even have a chance. I think that a lot of the game is mental, and he has to step up and answer that challenge when fatigue is a MAJOR factor right now. Also, I will take some crap for stating this, especially when he only gave up 2 goals, but I think Cooper made a mistake going back to Bishop. Vas has played very well for them. Being that Vas is more of a 'stay at home' goalie, they very well might have avoided that Sharp goal. I know it was an accidental collision, but...

Meh, I don't know about you getting crap over saying Vasi should have been in over Bishop.

Honestly, right now, the issue for the Bolts isn't goaltending.

Gaffe by Bishop aside and perceived 'soft play' by Vasilevskiy aside in his Game 4 start, Tampa Bay's issues are breaking through the very tough coverage of the Chicago defense AND making good on opportunities, both 5 on 5 and on the PP that the Hawks are sure to, have been, and continue, to present the Lightning.

If one were to ask me if I had a preference of who I'd want in goal, yea, it'd be Bishop, but I would be ok with Andre Vasilevskiy as well. I think they are both that good.

Chicago is up 3 games to 2....and all their wins were 2-1....this last one being 'won' basically on a very bad decision by Ben Bishop on a freebie goal.

True, Vasilevskiy WON'T make that mistake, because Vasi simply does not go out to play the puck that way.

But more often than not, Bishop playing the puck is a PLUS for the Bolts, in much the same way guys like Martin Brodeur, Rick DiPietro, and Mike Smith were for their respective teams.

Ben Bishop just screwed up real badly and didn't trust that Victor Hedman would make the play.  Patrick Sharp thanks them both.

Really though, Vasi instead of Bishop, not a bad call, though I understand WHY Coach Cooper went with Bishop if he is able to go.

Bishop -Vasilevskiy isn't as black n white as say, a situation where the Flyers would have had to choose between Mason and Emery, just as an example.

Flyers would go with Mason, if healthy, EVERY single time over Emery in a big game situation.......there is no disputing that.

Bishop is still the guy in net.....but Vasilevskiy sure is pushing him hard.  And you know what? When Stevie Y made Vasi the permanent number 2 after getting rid of Nabokov, THAT was the plan.

Push Bishop hard to greatness or push Bishop OUT.....one or the other.

I'd say Vasi is doing his job....all the while trying to capture that 'star status' himself.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Gotta wonder what a different series this is if Tampa doesn't go into a shell in game 1 and pulls that game out.

I mean, who's to say they win games 2 and 3 if they win the first.  But pretending they do, they go into game four 3 games to 1, and game five 3-2.  Just such a different dynamic.

Certainly they can still pull this out.  They've proven they're capable.  It just remains to be seen if they WILL.

All I'm saying, to remain cautious, is that Chicago is a vastly different animal than any of the first three teams they've faced.  

Well, see that's the thing: at NO point should the Lightning be going into defensive shells of ANY sort!

It's simply NOT who this team is.

Yes, I know defense has to be tightened up for the post season, but sometimes, it feels as if the Bolts are trying to force that, not let it come naturally, and it is coming at the expense of their greatest strength, which is pressure, pressure, pressure and speed on offense....keeping the opposition off balance....and if some rushes go the other way, trust whatever D-man is back and the goalie to make the appropriate play/save.

May not be the textbook playoff style to play, but it is who the Bolts currently are....and it's why they have gotten as far as they have through the regular season and into the Finals.

Team effort and both offense, defense and goaltending play a part...we all know that....but the Lightning are at their best when they have teams worrying about who THEY need to cover on Tampa Bay....NOT when the Bolts are playing 'cover up' and allowing teams to run all over them in their own zone.

Which is what happens when the Bolts go into their defensive shells.

I agree.

Totally different dynamic if the Bolts win Game 1....or even Game 4 for that matter....both, very, very winnable games.

Notice when the Bolts throw caution to the wind late in games when they are desperate, how much pressure they put on Chicago, and really has even that veteran defense scrambling around.

THAT is how they need to be. That is who they are.

Games 4-7 in the Finals is a hell of a time to be tooling around with play styles......they just need to go with who they are and let the chips fall where they may!

Obviously if the Blackhawks win tonight the Cup is theirs. If the Lighting win they will win game 7. I would like to see the Lighting win,so they could shove the ring up under Martin St. Louis nose and ask him if "this is what you are looking for?"

Like many before me have said the winner of the west is usually the favourite and the Blackhawks are the favourite in this series no doubt. The Lightning have proven to be a great team and anything could happen. If I have to choose I would pick the Blackhawks in either 6 or 7. I highly doubt this is going to be a short series. I love the captains in this series, 2 real stars in Stamkos and Toews, I'd love to see Stamkos win his first cup but I'd also like to see Toews continue adding to his already legendary trophy case. I say Blackhawks in 6.

Was my original prediction, if the Hawks win tonight Toews becomes the first Captain and leader of the first modern day NHL dynasty. 

Archived