Gagne Wants Back In

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will bite...

He was a pretty damn good player.  Two +40 goal seasons and some very good productive years from '05-'09.  With that being said there is a following of fans that seem to think he is a legendary Flyer - I will definitely admit that.  I think of him as a very good player but not sure I would crown him legendary - class act and very good player

This is exactly my point.

This entire thread warrants that type of response. This conversation is as tired and Gagne's career.

I understand being horribly disappointed because your assertion that he wouldn't even break the Bruins roster last season was 100% totally, completely, irrevocably wrong.

One would think you would be more accustomed to being that wrong.

:hocky:

I understand being horribly disappointed because your assertion that he wouldn't even break the Bruins roster last season was 100% totally, completely, irrevocably wrong.

One would think you would be more accustomed to being that wrong.

:hocky:

Go here. Sort by games played and then again by total ice time. I'm being nice and didn't even mention points, because that isn't always the most accurate statement. The guy can't stay on the ice and hasn't been able to for a solid 5 years. This isn't an isolated incident, it's a pattern. You know what that spells out? D.O.N.E

Who am I kidding? You know all of this already. Everyone does. It's not like it's a secret. It's just taboo to criticize the almighty Simon.

Go here. Sort by games played and then again by total ice time. I'm being nice and didn't even mention points, because that isn't always the most accurate statement. The guy can't stay on the ice and hasn't been able to for a solid 5 years. This isn't an isolated incident, it's a pattern. You know what that spells out? D.O.N.E

Who am I kidding? You know all of this already. Everyone does. It's not like it's a secret. It's just taboo to criticize the almighty Simon.

Which is what you said last year before he got the contract with the Bruins...

Criticize all you want. You were wrong last year. You might be right this year.

Stranger things have happened...

I know this isn't popular, but Simon Gagne really needs to hang it up.  He is done.

If he wants to tilt at windmills, who are we to stop him?

It was Gospel last year that he was "done" and "needs to hang it up." And he played with the Bruins who, by all accounts, were happy to have him. He then went through a family tragedy.

I don't want him anywhere near the Flyers, but if he wants to take a shot at playing somewhere, I certainly don't give a rat's ass if he does.

While both of you are outright vehement and seem incensed that a professional hockey player at age 35 wants to play the game.

Why is it so important to you two that his career be over and he give up?

I don't want him anywhere near the Flyers, but if he wants to take a shot at playing somewhere, I certainly don't give a rat's ass if he does.

While both of you are outright vehement and seem incensed that a professional hockey player at age 35 wants to play the game.

Why is it so important to you two that his career be over and he give up?

Oh, if he wants to go elsewhere and play, that's terrific.  I actually don't care.

I do not him on the Flyers and was heading that drumbeat off at the pass.

Oh, if he wants to go elsewhere and play, that's terrific. I actually don't care.

I do not him on the Flyers and was heading that drumbeat off at the pass.

Aside from this appearing in the Flyers forum (I moved it to the FA forum) there has been no indication in any media I can find linking Gagne to a return to the Flyers.

Your comment also mentioned nothing about the Flyers and seemed to be piling on fanatic's screed that Gagne, apparently, shouldn't even be allowed to attend a training camp on a tryout contract - anywhere.

And I just don't get that.

What's the worst that could happen? A player who is "D.O.N.E." signs on with a team and then that team - allegedly playing a forward short since Gagne "can't play anymore" - plays the Flyers?

The horror. The horror.

Don't want him back with the Flyers - that's perfectly reasonable and I completely 100% agree with it.

But I find reading some petulant fool guy posting on a message board for the second year in a row trying desperately to justify his ridiculous rage about a player simply trying to extend his career and that people shouldn't even talk about it tiresome.

YMMV.

I think Gags is done. I think deep down, Gags knows he is done. Thing is, playing hockey is all he has ever known. So, I could imagine his thinking going along these lines "I want to make sure that last few years are for real, that the mounting injuries did not play a role in my ineffective play".....in short, he just wants the freedom to *know* it's actually over, rather than second guessing himself all through retirement, always wondering "what could have been....did I have 2-3 more years left in me...that I walked away from?"....this is quite normal and if he is cut again, it gives him closure on a great career...and NOTHING wrong with that...in fact, it's part of the healing process of retirement for many players. These guys are warriors, and quite a few have to be shown the door, kicking and screaming all the way.

Aside from this appearing in the Flyers forum (I moved it to the FA forum) there has been no indication in any media I can find linking Gagne to a return to the Flyers.

Your comment also mentioned nothing about the Flyers and seemed to be piling on fanatic's screed that Gagne, apparently, shouldn't even be allowed to attend a training camp on a tryout contract - anywhere.

Agree completely.   I assumed just talking about the relation to the Flyers, but it was a leap given the discussion.   It was more preemptive on my part to counter the "wouldn't he look good with Voracek and Giroux?" I assumed was eventually coming (and hasn't, unless I've missed it).

We pretty much agree (pauses for the posts about us agreeing...).   I don't want him on the Flyers but if the guy still loves the game and wants to try there's probably a place for him somewhere.

I think Gags is done. I think deep down, Gags knows he is done.

I think Gags is done in terms of a Top Six role, but I'm not so sure he couldn't play bottom six on a Phoenix or Buffalo (for example) next season.

If some team wants to give him vet minimum as a defensively responsible locker room guy, it wouldn't shock me.

It's exactly what happened last year...

@radoran Yeah, I could see that happening as well, as long as the wheels are still there....

Honestly, though, at this point in his career he goes to a loser? I don't think he fits on a contender, but a loser?

I don't know. For who? For what?

For what?

That may very well be the only way he stays in the league, playing the mentor role on a team that is up and coming but not quite there yet...like your Yotes or Sabres type of thing.

Honestly, though, at this point in his career he goes to a loser? I don't think he fits on a contender, but a loser?

I don't know. For who? For what?

Last year he hooked on with the Bruins.

I threw out Phoenix and Buffalo as low hanging fruit.

He's already on the Cup. Maybe he just likes getting paid to play hockey?

Weird, i know...

Last year he hooked on with the Bruins.

I threw out Phoenix and Buffalo as low hanging fruit.

He's already on the Cup. Maybe he just likes getting paid to play hockey?

Weird, i know...

Well yeah. Although I'm struggling with why last year and Boston is relevant to what the possibilities are going forward unless to say "Well, he signed but didn't fulfill his commitment so let's look at someone else who is old and whose effectiveness is greatly reduced."

Forgive me for trying to come up with a reason other than the dollar with him.

Well yeah. Although I'm struggling with why last year and Boston is relevant to what the possibilities are going forward unless to say "Well, he signed but didn't fulfill his commitment so let's look at someone else who is old and whose effectiveness is greatly reduced."

Forgive me for trying to come up with a reason other than the dollar with him.

He likes playing in the NHL? Like everyone else there?

"Didn't fulfill his commitment"!?!?

HIS DAD DIED. Just saying...

Boston is relevant because people were saying the exact same thing about Gagne last year - he was done, should hang it up, had no chance. And he made a roster and was a productive player - according to the Bruins.

"Didn't fulfill his commitment"!?!?

HIS DAD DIED. Just saying...

Boston is relevant because people were saying the exact same thing about Gagne last year - he was done, should hang it up, had no chance. And he made a roster and was a productive player - according to the Bruins.

Yeah, I know.  You and I both know how much that sucks, the pain involved, and we both know it doesn't go away over night (it doesn't ever go away, and we both know that).

But the rest of the season?  I guess we all deal with things differently, and I'm willing to allow for that.   But there is also commitment.

I'm not hurling an indictment, but what I am wondering is how that is/will be perceived by other GMs trying to fill their roster with a finite amount of resources and saying "do I fill with a cheap young guy or an old(er) guy," "do I sign player X or do I go with someone who didn't fulfill his contract just last year (for good or not good reason)," etc. etc.

If I'm a GM of Team X, I absolutely take those things into consideration.   As a fan, Gagne should try and good for him if he latches on somewhere.   As a GM?  I heavily considering other options.

@radoran

At the same time, and in the interest of full-disclosure, it's a bit hypocritical of me since I was particularly critical of Bill Barber going right back at it when his wife died.  I thought he should take some time.  We all deal with those things differently.   So, as a person, who am I to criticize how Gagne or anyone else deal with loss and family.

But since hockey is a business--as we're all fond [sic] of saying--I do wonder about that from the GM's chair.

@ruxpin

He's certainly not the first pro athlete to play past his due date.

I don't want Philly to sign him, but if someone else wants to give him a shot, go for it. 

Well, we agree on both counts.

I'm trying to remove myself from the Philly thing (it's difficult for me because I'm parochial enough in my hockey fandom that most things are viewed through that spectrum) and what I'm trying to get my mind around is if I'm a fan of any team, do I want him?  I'm not sure but leaning toward no.

And then the GM/business thing I mentioned above.

If he can latch on somewhere, good on him.  Seriously.  And I'm sure he can still contribute on some level.  It's not a Timonen situation.  If you're not ready to quit yet and still have the desire to play and someone is willing to pay you, why the hell not?   I'm good with that.  I'm not trying to say he shouldn't try.  

I just don't want him on my team.

If he can latch on somewhere, good on him. Seriously. And I'm sure he can still contribute on some level. It's not a Timonen situation. If you're not ready to quit yet and still have the desire to play and someone is willing to pay you, why the hell not? I'm good with that. I'm not trying to say he shouldn't try.

I just don't want him on my team.

QFT

Archived