Gagne Wants Back In

Not sure if it's a good idea for him at this point, but I also can't see how for half a million bucks a team like the Yotes or someone wouldn't want some veteran leadership. 

Maybe even the Sabres could use a mentor.

either way, I wish him well.  Hate seeing a great flyer peeter out the way he has, though I suppose peetering out is better than crashing and burning the way some have.

which is to say nothing for 2 time former flyer Pete Peeters who obviously had no choice but to Peeter out ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe even the Sabres could use a mentor.

For half a million, that might not be a bad move for Buffalo.

As for petering out.  I'm reminded of a poem.  I think it's written by Shakespeare.

"Friends may come and friends may go.  

and friends may peter out, you know

but, we'll be friends through thick or thin

peter out or peter in"

Just trying to add a little culture.

I don't know.  I think for half a million per, he could be useful to someone.

Old players aren't necessarily completely useless..  it's when they cost 5 million bucks a year that it starts to be a serious problem.

I'd trade Umberger or VLC for Gagne on that basis alone.  Wouldn't you?

love gagne.... but it is time for him to move on...

I don't know.  I think for half a million per, he could be useful to someone.

Old players aren't necessarily completely useless..  it's when they cost 5 million bucks a year that it starts to be a serious problem.

I'd trade Umberger or VLC for Gagne on that basis alone.  Wouldn't you?

except that isn't the case

except that isn't the case

what isn't the case?

that's not a real trade option?  I know that.  Gagne isn't even on a team to trade with.

I'm just saying we have old and useless players too and I think we hate them more because ours happen to cost about 10 million between them instead of half a million for one. 

If Umberger was costing 500K would we be on his case?

If VLC cost half of his salary, we'd probably be okay with him and how he's playing.

I'm talking conceptually, not about trying to move Umby and Vinny and bring in Gagne.  That's not a feasible reality. 

Ugh, go the f-ck away already. It's over fella. It was over 5 years ago. Start the next phase of your career instead of desperately clinging to this one.

5 years ago he was scoring goals and helping win game 7 against the Bruins.

3 years ago he was helping the Kings win their first Cup.

If a guy can still skate and make a contribution to a team, why shouldn't he?  So he's not going to pot 30 goals or even 20 goals ever again.  WHo cares?  he's not earning 20 goal dollars any more. 

If I'm a team on a budget and need some leadership with a low price tag, i'd take a chance on him.   Better than taking a chance on an over the hill guy with a high price tag like Homer loved to do (and Clarke before him).   That's my only point.  I don't want him on the Flyers, but I rooted for the guy for too long to not want to see him get another shot at a few more nights playing this game.

Why begrudge a dude that?  What'd he ever do to you?

absolutely.... but then that would never happen :D Even if the NHL were a game of Monopoly...

again... i don't want that to happen.  I'm not suggesting that can happen.  I just like Gagne because he was a stand up guy and a pretty good player here for a lot of years and I would just love to see him get a chance to go out with his skates on.

That's literally all I'm saying.

again... i don't want that to happen.  I'm not suggesting that can happen.  I just like Gagne because he was a stand up guy and a pretty good player here for a lot of years and I would just love to see him get a chance to go out with his skates on.

That's literally all I'm saying.

I loved Gagne... he was a great Flyers.  I just think his better days are long behind him.   If he catches on w/ another Team I will wish him all the best!!

If he catches on w/ another Team I will wish him all the best!!

And that is literally all I'm saying. 

As I typed elsewhere, just like the player enough to want him to go out with his skates on. 

Not suggesting some impossible deal with the devil to bring him in in exchange for 2 bums who cost literally 20 times as much.

5 years ago he was scoring goals and helping win game 7 against the Bruins.

3 years ago he was helping the Kings win their first Cup.

If a guy can still skate and make a contribution to a team, why shouldn't he?  So he's not going to pot 30 goals or even 20 goals ever again.  WHo cares?  he's not earning 20 goal dollars any more. 

If I'm a team on a budget and need some leadership with a low price tag, i'd take a chance on him.   Better than taking a chance on an over the hill guy with a high price tag like Homer loved to do (and Clarke before him).   That's my only point.  I don't want him on the Flyers, but I rooted for the guy for too long to not want to see him get another shot at a few more nights playing this game.

Why begrudge a dude that?  What'd he ever do to you?

Stop talking.

I can't find anywhere that Gagne continuing his career is reliant upon a return to Philadelphia. It would surprise me, after how everything ended, if that was even something he was considering.

Personally, I think he should hang it up but if there is a team out there that wants to take a chance on him, why shouldn't he go after it?

I loved Gagne... he was a great Flyers.  I just think his better days are long behind him.   If he catches on w/ another Team I will wish him all the best!!

You think it because it's true. You don't have to go diplomatic because there's a segment of the fanbase that can't admit it.

Stop talking.

Wow, someone ate a poop sandwhich for lunch today. 

Talking about random stupid Flyers B.S. is literally the only G.D. point to this message board.

Maybe you should just take your midol and log off?

Timonen on benching: “Am I frustrated & kind of surprised at that? Yeah, oh yeah. But this isn’t about me. It’s about the team and winning."

If Kimmo thinks he can still play, I'm pretty sure Gagne should have that same mind-set.  Gagne is 5 years younger and is NOT coming off a life-threatening condition. 

That being said, no way I want him anywhere near the Flyers.  

You think it because it's true. You don't have to go diplomatic because there's a segment of the fanbase that can't admit it.

The analytical thinking and contemplative capacity on this board astound me.

The whole point I'm trying to get at is that OF COURSE his best days are behind him.  There are plenty of worse guys you could put on your 4th line for 500k who wouldn't have the added benefit of being a positive influence and role model.

And there are a few worse guys for 10 x 500k too.

No one's saying he's coming back to score 30 goals.  Who the hell said that?   Seriously...  no wonder people hate Philly Fans.  We just love being pains in the butt for no good reason and refusing to hear what anyone's saying or thinking.

Now if you'll excuse me I have someone's child to go puke on and try to find some snow balls to throw at Santa Claus.

Wow, someone ate a poop sandwhich for lunch today. 

Talking about random stupid Flyers B.S. is literally the only G.D. point to this message board.

Maybe you should just take your midol and log off?

This conversation comes up once or twice a season. It's the same sh-t every year each time he comes back from the latest leave of absence. "You know, for a few hundred thousand....on the 4th line...I believe...." Mike Richards can't even find work in the league now, but you think Simon "I've haven't played half a season in about 5 years" Gagne has value? his. I don't even hate the guy, but

1. He was never that good to begin with. Before you or anyone else cries about that statement, I never said he was bad. He was just never soooo good that he deserves this cult-like dedication from a certain segment of the fanbase. Frankly, it's f-cking weird. Nice guy, nice player - really nice under Hitchcock - and I have no reason to wish him nothing but the best, but the peanut gallery needs to shut up on this one already. He's so far past done that this doesn't even count as beating a dead horse. You are beating horse's ghost, which has returned from the dead to haunt a family and had to be exorcised by a priest. Gagne's career is like the latest sequel in an 80s horror movie franchise: anything that was worse seeing happened long ago.

2. Helping the Kings win a Stanley Cup? He played 32 TOTAL minutes in the playoffs that year and had a whopping 0 points. Only two players played less than he did that year. Helping the Kings? What did he do? Hand them clean towels?

This conversation comes up once or twice a season. It's the same sh-t every year each time he comes back from the latest leave of absence. "You know, for a few hundred thousand....on the 4th line...I believe...." Mike Richards can't even find work in the league now, but you think Simon "I've haven't played half a season in about 5 years" Gagne has value? his. I don't even hate the guy, but

1. He was never that good to begin with. Before you or anyone else cries about that statement, I never said he was bad. He was just never soooo good that he deserves this cult-like dedication from a certain segment of the fanbase. Frankly, it's f-cking weird. Nice guy, nice player - really nice under Hitchcock - and I have no reason to wish him nothing but the best, but the peanut gallery needs to shut up on this one already. He's so far past done that this doesn't even count as beating a dead horse. You are beating horse's ghost, which has returned from the dead to haunt a family and had to be exorcised by a priest. Gagne's career is like the latest sequel in an 80s horror movie franchise: anything that was worse seeing happened long ago.

2. Helping the Kings win a Stanley Cup? He played 32 TOTAL minutes in the playoffs that year and had a whopping 0 points. Only two players played less than he did that year. Helping the Kings? What did he do? Hand them clean towels?

Willfull thick headedness s why they hate us. Not because we're lousy drunks. Though that doesn't help.

Why does a guy we'd to be "that good" to be a respected former flyer? He played hard and played well during difficult times with a myriad of teammates and captains and coaches almost all of whom he made better. Why does he need to have been a hart winner for us to wish him a decent burial?

B) Mike Richards would have teams link g up if he cost 500k. His contact is the problem, not his inability to crack a lineup. The Kings would rather eat 3/4 of his contract and be able to pay Quick and Kopitar for another year while they try to taunt Richards Into retiring.

Meanwhile they'll either have to reace him with Inexperience or a half million dollar role player like gagne.

Finally). All I'm saying is it would be nice if some crappy team who needed a forward to fill out a lineup took him to mentor a bit and let him skate off the ice.

Jesus, why is that so wrong?

Look, there was no way that the Bruins were going to pick up Gagne last season. He should have just packed it in because he simply didn't have a chance to get back to the NHL.

Or, you know, so we were told...

:hocky:

1. He was never that good to begin with. Before you or anyone else cries about that statement, I never said he was bad. He was just never soooo good that he deserves this cult-like dedication from a certain segment of the fanbase. Frankly, it's f-cking weird. Nice guy, nice player - really nice under Hitchcock - and I have no reason to wish him nothing but the best, but the peanut gallery needs to shut up on this one already. He's so far past done that this doesn't even count as beating a dead horse. You are beating horse's ghost, which has returned from the dead to haunt a family and had to be exorcised by a priest. Gagne's career is like the latest sequel in an 80s horror movie franchise: anything that was worse seeing happened long ago

I will bite...

He was a pretty damn good player.  Two +40 goal seasons and some very good productive years from '05-'09.  With that being said there is a following of fans that seem to think he is a legendary Flyer - I will definitely admit that.  I think of him as a very good player but not sure I would crown him legendary - class act and very good player

I'm gonna add some fuel to the fire.

Recently, Kovalev was in Montreal.  Said he was interested in returning to the NHL, if given the right offer.

Archived