3 Pens who could be traded during the off season

pilldoc

Calling all our Pens fans on here.  So what is your opinion on the following article?

http://thehockeywriters.com/3-penguins-who-will-be-traded-this-offseason/

The author gives current Pens players who could be traded.  Honestly, I don't think 2 out of the 3 players he listed should come to no surprise to anyone.  Rob Scuderi, Chris Kunitz and Brandon Sutter.  I can see Scuderi and Kunitz as the Pens definitely need to get younger, but having Sutter on this list comes as a surprise to me.  Now I must admit I don't watch alot of Pens games, so I am asking our Pens fans here, is Sutter overrated as the author suggests?

Rob Scuderi
scuderi_hit.jpg?resize=226%2C300

(Jayne Kamin-Oncea-US PRESSWIRE)

This should not come as a surprise to anyone. Rob Scuderi has played his last game in a Penguins uniform, one way or another.

Scuderi is a bottom-pairing defenseman, at best, in the current stage of his career and this would not be a problem, but he makes $3.375 million dollars.

He was never a fast player and his speed has rapidly vanished as he has aged. Scuderi misses assignments, is not effective in moving the puck and generally does not contribute much of anything to the Penguins.

Insider Josh Yohe, of DKonPittsburghSports.com, reported in his “Friday Insider” that the Pens will be looking to move Scuderi this offseason.

Here is Yohe’s take on Scuderi:

The Penguins want to become younger and more skilled. They don’t see a place for Scuderi and will consider trading him or buying him out, and the latter applies despite the news about ownership, as
Mario Lemieux
and
Ron Burkle
have given Rutherford that leeway.

Brandon Sutter

The Penguins acquired Brandon Sutter in the trade that sent Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes. He was supposed to be a valid replacement, or at least attempt, to replace Staal on Pittsburgh’s third line.

To say his tenure in Pittsburgh has been underwhelming, is an understatement.

Brandon-Sutter.jpg?resize=300%2C209

Could I be the Pittsburgh Penguins biggest surprise and fantasy hockey surprise? Maybe.(Chris Humphreys-USA TODAY Sports)

Sutter makes $3.3 million and plays like a fourth-line center. He’s weak on the boards, not a defensive force and degrades the wings who play around him.

I’ve already pointed out that if the Penguins want to improve their top-six, the trade package has to start with the vastly overrated Sutter.

He is not worth his current contract and, given that he just had his best season as a Penguin, his trade value will never be higher. Other teams see Sutter as a solid third-line center or a potential second-line center, who is just buried behind Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

Here is Yohe’s take on Sutter:

Sutter is a player Rutherford likes. He’s also someone Rutherford thinks can help fetch top-six winger help for Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Don’t be shocked if he goes.

Chris Kunitz

Kunitz is probably the player least likely to be traded this offseason. Why is that when he is now 35-years old and makes $3.85 million?

Simply put, I do not believe that Kunitz was healthy during the second half of the season. Before he injured his foot, Kunitz scored 8 goals in his first 11 games and just 10 in his final 68.

0Y7A9594.jpg?resize=300%2C200

Chris Kunitz has lost a step this season. Could he be available for trade? (Photo Credit: Andy Martin Jr)

People have cited Kunitz’s mysterious “iron deficiency” as why his production dropped, but this simply is not true. Kunitz did not get slammed by old age like some think; he was in a situation similar to Blake Comeau.

He could play the season, but his foot would not heal until the offseason, just like Comeau’s wrist, and hockey players are going to do everything they can to remain on the ice.

There’s always a chance that Kunitz will be traded this offseason, but of the three mentioned players, his departure is the most unlikely. The most realistic situation that Kunitz leaves the team is in a package deal to return a top-six forward to the Penguins.

Here is Yohe’s take on Kunitz:

Kunitz is still viewed favorably by management and the coaching staff but clearly lost a step last season. For salary cap reasons, if the Penguins can move him, they’ll consider it.

Outlook

It’s certainly going to be an interesting offseason for the Penguins.

There are rumors the Penguins will attempt to sign a player like Vladimir Tarasenko or Brandon Saad to an offer sheet.

malkin12.jpg?resize=300%2C225

There is rumors that everyone from Kris Letang to Evgeni Malkin could be traded. Then, there is always the perplexing situation surrounding Beau Bennett and whether or not some young forwards will make the roster.

In addition to all of this, the Penguins might be sold and there are a lot of changes that could go along with that.

For Penguins fans, this offseason looks to be as exciting as they come. However, one thing is certain: Scuderi will never put on a Penguins jersey again and that in itself is something to be celebrated.

OK Pens fans...thoughts?  Who do you want traded? if anybody? who should be traded if you were GM?

Glad to see Scuderi out of the way. We have a lot of talented young defensemen. Would be happy to see the space. Send Livejoy with him though. That trade still annoys me.

I'm a Sutter supporter. He has played better here in a third line role than Staal has in Carolina on the second line. Sutter plays his part well. He's not a huge offensive talent, but I happen to think he shuts opponents down pretty well, wins face offs, and is great on the PK.

Kunitz I'm still torn on. He started last season on fire, then got the foot injury. For me it comes down to was the post-injury play because of the injury and that has since healed? Or is that the true Kunitz now? I just don't know. But I also think if the Pens don't know for certain either then don't take the chance.

The author titles his article "Three Players Who Will Be Traded" then gives the reasons why 2 of the 3 (Kunitz and Scuderi) are practically untradeable: age, performance and contract.  

I/M/O, the Pens have no choice but to milk what they can from Kunitz as a 3rd line winer and Scuderi as a 3rd pairing defenseman.  I don't think Sutter alone fetches the Pens a top 6 winger which is really the only reason to trade him.  You need to give to get.  A top 6 winger will cost them one of their young defencemen.

Great topic.

My take is the pens are inneed of a gut che k they need to address the roster from a different angle which may include entertaining offers for Geno.

last yearthey added erhoff and perron and holmqvist and did t make it out of the firzt round. They look old and flat and in need of a overhaul.

trading Malkin should net threeplayers, save cap room as well.

Crosby is the face of tbe franchise and Fleury is a consistent tender, 5 straight years of 2.30sfor .gaaand they certainly could win with him. Shuffling the deck again is not enough. Malkin has slipped a bit, I feelhis window is quickly closing as anelite player and he is where I would look.

Great topic.

My take is the pens are inneed of a gut che k they need to address the roster from a different angle which may include entertaining offers for Geno.

last yearthey added erhoff and perron and holmqvist and did t make it out of the firzt round. They look old and flat and in need of a overhaul.

Crosby is the face of tbe franchise and Fleury is a consistent tender, 5 straight years of 2.30sfor .gaaand they certainly could win with him. Shuffling the deck again is not enough. Malkin has slipped a bit, I feelhis window is quickly closing as anelite player and he is where I would look.

I honestly don't know what to expect my friend.  I don't put much credence in the management saying the core will remain unchanged.  But I also don't bet Malkin's days are numbered, or Letang's.  In fact, I'd venture to say Letang is safer than Malkin right now.  I just don't know what to bet on.  You can't tell and I certainly don't think Rutherford knows what he is doing so it's anybody's guess with him in there.   LOL

Calling all our Pens fans on here.  So what is your opinion on the following article?

http://thehockeywriters.com/3-penguins-who-will-be-traded-this-offseason/

The author gives current Pens players who could be traded.  Honestly, I don't think 2 out of the 3 players he listed should come to no surprise to anyone.  Rob Scuderi, Chris Kunitz and Brandon Sutter.  I can see Scuderi and Kunitz as the Pens definitely need to get younger, but having Sutter on this list comes as a surprise to me.  Now I must admit I don't watch alot of Pens games, so I am asking our Pens fans here, is Sutter overrated as the author suggests?

Rob Scuderi

scuderi_hit.jpg?resize=226%2C300

(Jayne Kamin-Oncea-US PRESSWIRE)

This should not come as a surprise to anyone. Rob Scuderi has played his last game in a Penguins uniform, one way or another.

Scuderi is a bottom-pairing defenseman, at best, in the current stage of his career and this would not be a problem, but he makes $3.375 million dollars.

He was never a fast player and his speed has rapidly vanished as he has aged. Scuderi misses assignments, is not effective in moving the puck and generally does not contribute much of anything to the Penguins.

Insider Josh Yohe, of DKonPittsburghSports.com, reported in his “Friday Insider” that the Pens will be looking to move Scuderi this offseason.

Here is Yohe’s take on Scuderi:

The Penguins want to become younger and more skilled. They don’t see a place for Scuderi and will consider trading him or buying him out, and the latter applies despite the news about ownership, as Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle have given Rutherford that leeway.

Brandon Sutter

The Penguins acquired Brandon Sutter in the trade that sent Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes. He was supposed to be a valid replacement, or at least attempt, to replace Staal on Pittsburgh’s third line.

To say his tenure in Pittsburgh has been underwhelming, is an understatement.

Brandon-Sutter.jpg?resize=300%2C209

Could I be the Pittsburgh Penguins biggest surprise and fantasy hockey surprise? Maybe.(Chris Humphreys-USA TODAY Sports)

Sutter makes $3.3 million and plays like a fourth-line center. He’s weak on the boards, not a defensive force and degrades the wings who play around him.

I’ve already pointed out that if the Penguins want to improve their top-six, the trade package has to start with the vastly overrated Sutter.

He is not worth his current contract and, given that he just had his best season as a Penguin, his trade value will never be higher. Other teams see Sutter as a solid third-line center or a potential second-line center, who is just buried behind Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

Here is Yohe’s take on Sutter:

Sutter is a player Rutherford likes. He’s also someone Rutherford thinks can help fetch top-six winger help for Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Don’t be shocked if he goes.

Chris Kunitz

Kunitz is probably the player least likely to be traded this offseason. Why is that when he is now 35-years old and makes $3.85 million?

Simply put, I do not believe that Kunitz was healthy during the second half of the season. Before he injured his foot, Kunitz scored 8 goals in his first 11 games and just 10 in his final 68.

0Y7A9594.jpg?resize=300%2C200

Chris Kunitz has lost a step this season. Could he be available for trade? (Photo Credit: Andy Martin Jr)

People have cited Kunitz’s mysterious “iron deficiency” as why his production dropped, but this simply is not true. Kunitz did not get slammed by old age like some think; he was in a situation similar to Blake Comeau.

He could play the season, but his foot would not heal until the offseason, just like Comeau’s wrist, and hockey players are going to do everything they can to remain on the ice.

There’s always a chance that Kunitz will be traded this offseason, but of the three mentioned players, his departure is the most unlikely. The most realistic situation that Kunitz leaves the team is in a package deal to return a top-six forward to the Penguins.

Here is Yohe’s take on Kunitz:

Kunitz is still viewed favorably by management and the coaching staff but clearly lost a step last season. For salary cap reasons, if the Penguins can move him, they’ll consider it.

Outlook

It’s certainly going to be an interesting offseason for the Penguins.

There are rumors the Penguins will attempt to sign a player like Vladimir Tarasenko or Brandon Saad to an offer sheet.

malkin12.jpg?resize=300%2C225

There is rumors that everyone from Kris Letang to Evgeni Malkin could be traded. Then, there is always the perplexing situation surrounding Beau Bennett and whether or not some young forwards will make the roster.

In addition to all of this, the Penguins might be sold and there are a lot of changes that could go along with that.

For Penguins fans, this offseason looks to be as exciting as they come. However, one thing is certain: Scuderi will never put on a Penguins jersey again and that in itself is something to be celebrated.

OK Pens fans...thoughts?  Who do you want traded? if anybody? who should be traded if you were GM?

The Pens could possibly get a second or third round draft pick if they can't get a top six forward!

I wonder if the Pens would shop Fleury,what would they get in return? If we are talking trades! His numbers may get the Pens something! His playoffs numbers, well we could only hope!

1. There is no reason to

2. There is nobody better than him on the market

3. We need offense. Our goaltending has been good enough to win three playoff seasons in a row now, our scoring has not.

I'd like to see Kunitz traded, to say his best days are behind him is an understatement, and he's taking up space on the top lines.  I don't know who would take him without taking some of the contract.

Scuds was a big mistake, I didn't understand that move from the start.  His age is really telling.

Personally, I say admit your big mistake(he already kind of has), and get rid of Lovejoy.  He is a big reason this team struggled down the stretch.  I have no idea why he was given so much responsibility.  That plus every time I see him on the ice screwing things up I just mutter "And we got THIS for a young talented defenseman who has years of upside ahead?".   I will NEVER forgive Rutherford for that.

I have no problem with Sutter.  He was brought in as a third line center, and he fills that role well. People want him to be more than he is, and I don't think that's fair to him. Heck, I think 21 goals from a third line center is not to bad.  What could have been worse would have been to keep Staal with the contract he got, and watch his play stagnate.  Would anyone rather be carrying that salary at this point?

1. There is no reason to

3. We need offense. Our goaltending has been good enough to win three playoff seasons in a row now, our scoring has not.

my point being is getting some offense through trading Fleury. With some shrewd trading getting draft picks to stock up WBS with goaltenders, dmen and offense. I was always told to build from the goalie out. I would agree that Fleury played okay In the Rangers series with the exception of the hagelin goal. Lunquist beat us! I believe he not the Rangers beat us! To be honest I didn't think we would make the playoffs. Let alone winning a series!I have doubts about next year!

I'd like to see Kunitz traded, to say his best days are behind him is an understatement, and he's taking up space on the top lines.  I don't know who would take him without taking some of the contract.

Scuds was a big mistake, I didn't understand that move from the start.  His age is really telling.

Personally, I say admit your big mistake(he already kind of has), and get rid of Lovejoy.  He is a big reason this team struggled down the stretch.  I have no idea why he was given so much responsibility.  That plus every time I see him on the ice screwing things up I just mutter "And we got THIS for a young talented defenseman who has years of upside ahead?".   I will NEVER forgive Rutherford for that.

I have no problem with Sutter.  He was brought in as a third line center, and he fills that role well. People want him to be more than he is, and I don't think that's fair to him. Heck, I think 21 goals from a third line center is not to bad.  What could have been worse would have been to keep Staal with the contract he got, and watch his play stagnate.  Would anyone rather be carrying that salary at this point?

it may be a far fetch may be a couple of third round picks, package these picks for higher ones somewhere!

1. There is no reason to

I thoroughly disagree with your point number two!

Great topic.

hagelin tells a different story! And there are a few to many to count!

I thoroughly disagree with your point number two!

Without making a major trade , who do you suggest? There are no FA goalies better than MAF. MAF may have issues especially some of his playoff experience's, but he IS an upper tier goalie.

Without making a major trade , who do you suggest? There are no FA goalies better than MAF. MAF may have issues especially some of his playoff experience's, but he IS an upper tier goalie.
I would stay within the system, should we have draft picks rebuild/retool starting with a goalie, then defense and then offense!

I would stay within the system.

And again we ask WHO? There is nobody in the system or out of the system better or even equal to Fleury, so who is your acceptable downgrade??

I agree with you Polaris, there is no one in Pens system better than MAF.

And again we ask WHO? There is nobody in the system or out of the system better or even equal to Fleury, so who is your acceptable downgrade??

I guess he's back.  A few random token replies and it's back "on" the MAF wagon.  :confused[1]:

@Polaris922

@B21

Perhaps he is referring to this article?  http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/upgrading-the-penguins-from-within-goaltenders/

However, the viable candidates are only Matt Murray and Jeff Zatkoff

Matt Murray (WBS – AHL)

Murray attended training camp with Pittsburgh and is in his first pro season with Penguins AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in 2014-15. Making a smooth transition from juniors, he has combined with veteran Jeff Zatkoff to form one of the better goaltending tandems in the AHL. Murray has the physical and technical attributes to be an NHL starter in the future and should continue to refine his game as he gains more pro experience.

Jeff Zatkoff (WBS – AHL)

Tristan Jarry: (Edmon – WHL)

Jarry attended the Canada U20 team's summer camp and was in training camp with the Penguins before being returned to Edmonton for his third WHL season in 2014-15. With several players having moved on the Oil Kings have slipped to the middle of the pack in the WHL but Jarry is once again seeing the bulk of the action. He also represented the WHL in the Subway Series against Russia though he was not chosen for Team Canada for the 2014 World Juniors. Long-term he has all the requisite skills to be a starting goalie at the NHL level one day and should benefit from the challenges and experienced gained with the rebuilding Oil Kings.

Sean Maguire: (Boston U. – NCAA)

• Talent Analysis

Sean Maguire is a hybrid goaltender who possesses a solid frame and very good overall natural talent. He is fairly athletic with good lateral movement, but most importantly he is a winner. Maguire has a tendency to maybe overplay the puck or scramble around too much in his crease. He is considered raw at this point, but has the size and athleticism to potentially develop into an NHL caliber goaltender.

• Future

Maguire will miss the 2014-15 season due to his injury situation

Eric Hartzell: (Wheeling (ECHL) / WBS (AHL)

Hartzell attended his second training camp with the Penguins before being assigned to Pittsburgh AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and was subsequently loaned to the ECHL's Wheeling Nailers. The third of three talented Pittsburgh goalies at the minor level, he has played well when called upon at either the AHL or ECHL levels. While it is difficult to gauge Hartzell's ceiling as a prospect until he plays consistently at the AHL level, his skill set suggests that at the minimum he can be a reliable NHL backup one day.

As is clearly evidenced above, there is NO ONE in the Pens system who is currently better than MAF.  As a Flyers fan we pick on MAF for his shortcoming's in some recent playoff years, HOWEVER, he is an upper Tier goalie in the NHL.  To replace MAF with one of the above mentioned goalies, I doubt the Pens make the playoffs.

So I as again, @notfondajane, which goalie do you replace MAF with?

Archived