Hextall interviews possible AHL coach

brelic

I really like the direction Hextall is taking, and it seems to be consistent across the board. He interviewed someone young, promising, and from outside the organization for the Phantoms head coaching job. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150608_Sources__Flyers_interview_Kris_Knoblauch_for_Phantoms__coaching_job.html

BTW, Knoblauch in German means garlic. Hehe.

@brelic

Thanks for starting this thread. I posted a bunch of stuff in the shoutbox yesterday about him.

From the Erie Otters Bio....

http://www.ottershockey.com/page/kris_knoblauch

Kris Knoblauch was named the seventh head coach in Erie Otters history on November 29, 2012, in the midst of the 2012-2013 OHL season. He led the Otters to one of the biggest turnarounds in OHL history in the 2013-14 season, coaching the team to the best regular season record in franchise history at 52-14-2-0 and taking the team to the Western Conference Final.

Prior to joining Erie, Kris Knoblauch worked behind the bench for the Kootenay Ice of the Western Hockey League as an assistant coach from 2007-2010 before taking over head coaching duties from 2010-2012. As head coach, Kris guided Kootenay to an Ed Chynoweth Cup as WHL playoff champions in 2011, and earned a berth into that year’s Memorial Cup tournament.

From another article....

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/65234-hextall-interviews-possible-ahl-coach/

Knoblauch might be coming in with the image of being a defensive coach. That is clearly Erie's weak point, which will lead to questions about how this affects McDavid, the 15-year-old who is in the top 20 in OHL scoring with 34 points in 27 games. To be fair, it's doubtful Knoblauch had the clamps on Sam Reinhart last season. The Ice centre scored nearly a point per game in his age-16 season. Reinhart thrived within that system, so McDavid ought to be able to as well. But people will be on the lookout for it.

Kris began his junior coaching career in the 2006-2007 season when he served as an assistant coach for the Prince Albert Raiders of the WHL

If new Erie coach Kris Knoblauch puts in the same D system he had with Kootenay, I might just have to tear my eyes out for Knights-Otters.

— Ryan Pyette (@RyanatLFPress) November 29, 2012

@flyercanuck

Totally agree.  I am glad they are "looking outside the box" for potential Phantoms coach.  I like the idea of younger coaches with fresh new perspective ideas.  This is the culture change that this organization has longed for.

My biggest request for whomever they hire....I want the Hakstol and the future Phantoms coach to be on the same page, with similiar systems being played.  That way the transition of a player moving from the Phantoms to Flyers will be smoother and the player knows what is expected of him immediately.

If Knoblauch does gets the position, I would be very comfortable with this decision.

My biggest request for whomever they hire....I want the Hakstol and the future Phantoms coach to be on the same page, with similiar systems being played.  That way the transition of a player moving from the Phantoms to Flyers will be smoother and the player knows what is expected of him immediately.

This is the key, right here. Both teams playing the same system, both on the same page as far as how to instill the fundamentals and the messages being sent to players. The AHL coach has to be prepping players to play for Hakstol.

I really like the direction Hextall is taking, and it seems to be consistent across the board. He interviewed someone young, promising, and from outside the organization for the Phantoms head coaching job. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150608_Sources__Flyers_interview_Kris_Knoblauch_for_Phantoms__coaching_job.html

BTW, Knoblauch in German means garlic. Hehe.

Bill M. on hockeybuzz reported he said he didn't interview...so somebody telling a lie....

Bill M. on hockeybuzz reported he said he didn't interview...so somebody telling a lie....

hmmm inquiring minds want to know.........

interesting turn of events if true.....

I saw somewhere that Dallas Eakins was informed he was no longer being considered for the Flyers HC position after telling the local media he had been interviewed. Not that that means Knoblach did just because he denies interviewing, but Hextall apparently wants his interview process to be kept quiet.

Archived