I'm not going to say I'm familiar with the Blue Jackets from a line standpoint, but it sure is going to be interesting how the line shape up this year. Anyone have any ideas? My thoughts:

Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson

Saad-Dubinksy-Jenner

Calvert-Wennberg-Hartnell

Boll-Campbell-Bourque/Clarkson

Johnson-Savard

Murray-Prout

Tyutin-Goloubef

Falk

Bob

McE

Thoughts?

I'm not going to say I'm familiar with the Blue Jackets from a line standpoint, but it sure is going to be interesting how the line shape up this year. Anyone have any ideas? My thoughts:

Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson

Saad-Dubinksy-Jenner

Calvert-Wennberg-Hartnell

Boll-Campbell-Bourque/Clarkson

Johnson-Savard

Murray-Prout

Tyutin-Goloubef

Falk

Bob

McE

Thoughts?

One thing is for sure, when I look at their cap.

I keep seeing Justin Falk and going "WTF? When did Carolina trade them Justin Faulk????????"

On another note, Hartnell will be 1st and 2nd line for stretches. He can play both wings. Boone Jenner healthy should be fun this season too.

Cam Atkinson was an enigma. He came out on FIRE, then cooled very quickly, then heated up again at points. Streaky

One thing is for sure, when I look at their cap.

I keep seeing Justin Falk and going "WTF? When did Carolina trade them Justin Faulk????????"

On another note, Hartnell will be 1st and 2nd line for stretches. He can play both wings. Boone Jenner healthy should be fun this season too.

Cam Atkinson was an enigma. He came out on FIRE, then cooled very quickly, then heated up again at points. Streaky

We should force Falk to retire so that we are never confused again. Carolina will never trade Faulk. Well, at least until they finally understand they need to rebuild. Or are they currently doing that? Wait... This is the Blue Jacket's feed.

Hartnell is slowing down. I agree with you. I think he is best suited for the third line, with a PP time. I think he will get a lot of chances to play with the Top 6, but he will be a third liner for a majority.

Let's assume this was a possibility, because everything is nowadays: Phil Kessel in Columbus. That would put this team way up there. Too bad it didn't happen. I think this team, like the Preds needs a pure goal scorer to be at the next level.

@teenagemutantninjahertl

Hi this is yave1964's wife, I am a Jacket fan and need to get my own account set up someday. I like the Jackets chances for next year. As for lines,

Jenner Johansen Foligno Jenner if healthy will be a perfect fit on the top line

Hartnell Dubinsky Saad Better than some teams first lines

Atkinson Wennberg Calvert Wennberg may be a future star playing with two opportunistic wingers

Campbell NOT SURE Clarkson or Boll

We need a number 4 center badly, I wish we had kept Letestu instead of signing Campbell. Now we have to get a number 4 center. My biggest fear is we will bump Wennberg to the 4th line and move Jenner off the wing and have him center the third line and bump Clarkson up. I love our first three lines, a lot and hope we simply sign a checker and faceoff guy who kills penalties to center the bottom group.

On defense, Johnson and Savard are both puck movers and Murray if finally healthy will hopefully be a stud. The rest are very average but if those three are all near double digits in goals we will be fine.

We have a lot of good prospects like Sonny Milano who we may give the number 4 center job to and break him in gently, Rychel and Bjorgstrand are solid scorers and on defense I like Heatherington a lot but he is a year or two away. Our defense is thinner than the forwards.

But it all comes down to Bobrovsky, the Jackets proved in their stretch drive just how good they are when Bob and the rest are healthy, if we cut the injuries in half, and keep Bob on the ice and consider the addition of Saad I think a 100 point season is within reach.

@teenagemutantninjahertl

Hi this is yave1964's wife, I am a Jacket fan and need to get my own account set up someday. I like the Jackets chances for next year. As for lines,

Jenner Johansen Foligno Jenner if healthy will be a perfect fit on the top line

Hartnell Dubinsky Saad Better than some teams first lines

Atkinson Wennberg Calvert Wennberg may be a future star playing with two opportunistic wingers

Campbell NOT SURE Clarkson or Boll

We need a number 4 center badly, I wish we had kept Letestu instead of signing Campbell. Now we have to get a number 4 center. My biggest fear is we will bump Wennberg to the 4th line and move Jenner off the wing and have him center the third line and bump Clarkson up. I love our first three lines, a lot and hope we simply sign a checker and faceoff guy who kills penalties to center the bottom group.

On defense, Johnson and Savard are both puck movers and Murray if finally healthy will hopefully be a stud. The rest are very average but if those three are all near double digits in goals we will be fine.

We have a lot of good prospects like Sonny Milano who we may give the number 4 center job to and break him in gently, Rychel and Bjorgstrand are solid scorers and on defense I like Heatherington a lot but he is a year or two away. Our defense is thinner than the forwards.

But it all comes down to Bobrovsky, the Jackets proved in their stretch drive just how good they are when Bob and the rest are healthy, if we cut the injuries in half, and keep Bob on the ice and consider the addition of Saad I think a 100 point season is within reach.

If you had to pick one of the third group to replace Hartnell on the second line, who would you pick? Atkinson, Wennberg, or Calvert?

I agree that the fourth line is kind of in question. Campbell replaced Letestu, but that's a downgrade. Maybe they have a prospect they like for the wings there,

A 100 point season is not out of the question!

@teenagemutantninjahertl

Atkinson for certain, Wennberg needs to play center and Calvert has shown nothing to make me think he is anything more than at best a third liner. Atkinson is a tough little guy who is sneaky good with an accurate shot. I love him on the third line, i like him on the second.

Hi this is yave1964's wife, I am a Jacket fan and need to get my own account set up someday.

Nice post btw.

and yes,  I hope that new account is soon.  :D

I noticed on the lines Connauton was missing, I thought he had a solid season last year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the second line with Murray.

So do you think Clarkson will live up to any of his worth as per his cap hit with the Jackets?

@hf101

Clarkson fits the Jackets way, big and tough to move, the Jackets keep getting bigger and bigger and harder to play against. In Toronto they thought he would score 30 goals and be a star, in Columbus if he plays his game and scores 15 and is a physical presence he will be a fan favorite. We were already warming up to him last year after his first few games and then he got hurt. Truthfully he is a New Jersey or Columbus kind of guy and I think Toronto was a horrible fit. Connauton was okay to good after Dallas traded him to us but I am leery because Dallas has no defense and if they just gave the guy up I don't think he is going to be very good. Maybe the first guy in if someone gets hurt or needs a day off, but I wouldn't think he can be a regular in the NHL. I love Savard and Johnson and hope Murray finally stays healthy though.

• 1 month later...

Blue Jackets win second straight Traverse City Tournament

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/09/15/blue-jackets-win-second-straight-traverse-city-tournament/

When given the opportunity, the Columbus Blue Jackets’ prospects gave their fans a reason to feel optimistic about the franchise’s future.

With a 5-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings tonight, Columbus’ prospects have won the Traverse City Tournament for the second straight year. Oliver Bjorkstrand was credited with the game-winning goal.

Bjorkstrand, along with linemates TJ Tynan and Kerby Rychel have been very effective throughout the tournament and that continued tonight even beyond the deciding marker. That has to be encouraging for the Blue Jackets as they are three of the team’s top forward prospects.

In the short-term, all three of them will have a difficult time securing a spot on the Blue Jackets’ opening game roster, although Rychel in particular can’t be overlooked. He already made his NHL debut last season with three assists in five contests and was also solid as an AHL rookie.

Columbus has now won this tournament four times, which puts it in a tie with St. Louis Blues over the event’s 17-year history.

I can see the Blue Jackets lines looking something close to this guess....

Line #1 = Ryan Johansson centering Cam Atkinson and Nick Foligno

Line #2 = Boone Jenner centering Brandon Saad and Scott Hartnell

Line #3 = Brandon Dubinsky centering Kerby Rychel and Oliver Bjorkstrand

Line #4 = Alexander Wennberg centering David Clarkson and Matt Calvert

On the outside looking in at forward.....a lot of depth forces some NHL players to the AHL or traded...Sonny Milano, William Karlsson, Jared Boll, Gregory Campbell, Paul Bittner. 

Very possible that Wennberg goes to the AHL to get more playing time, in such a case, I would imagine veteran Gregory Campbell may slip into the 4th line center role.

Defense

1st Pairing = Jack Johnson and Fedor Tyutin

2nd Pairing = Denis Savard and Daulton Prout

3rd Pairing = Ryan Murray and Kevin Cannauton

7th D-man = Justin Falk

D-men not making the cut....Zack Werenski (needs at least one more year of seasoning), Travis Dermott (TONS of upside, great pick),  Cody Goloubet, John Ramage.

Goalies

Starter = Sergi Bobrovski

Back Up = Curtis McElhinney

AHL starter = Oscar Dansk

AHL back up = Anton Forsberg

Archived