Summary of moves - Philly.com article

brelic

Decent article this morning on the summary of roster changes Hextall has made. I agree with the author that this is probably pretty close to next season's roster. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150724_With_only_a_few_moves__Flyers_look_to_be_better_at_key_spots.html

Out: Rinaldo, Grossmann, Emery

In: Gagner, Medvedev, Neuvirth

I think he might move one more defenseman out. If not, Manning will be with the Phantoms.

@brelic  I think there is a real chance for some big surprises coming out of training camp. For the first time in a long time, a coach is coming in who is open minded and holds no alliances or friendships....no preconceived notions...a for real, legit fresh start for everyone involved. Maybe, just maybe, some players can come right out of left field and steal roster spots. Maybe something very close to our 20 best players will be selected to wear the O&B. If a rookie like Cousins, Leier or even a  Martel has a scorching hot pre-season, they might find room for him. Hexy seems very adept at cleaning up messy situations, so if a veteran was beaten out by a rook, I have confidence he could find a market for the player who lost the training camp battle.

This might be a new regime, but one thing remains the same.....the presence of McCrossin and the curse this tool has over the teams injuries. I'm willing to bet anything that at least one, maybe two guys we thought were roster locks will start out the season on the IR....and as per usual, these types of things can be a blessing in disguise.

@jammer2 

Hmmm... Who would/could be a LTIR candidate other than maybe RJ and they said he is fine after the surgery? Hextall is indeed adept at cleaning up messes but I don't care how big your Brillo pad is, it's gonna take more than that to scrub up RJ, VLC and McDonald...

Manning HAS to go down in my opinion. You have to be patient with our other 5 young d-men but you also can't wait to long. And what seems to be lost in the discussions so far is that it's less than a good idea to bring more than maybe 2 "kids" into the NHL at a time. You can't field a team of 3-5 rookie defense-men in one season, for their own good and for the teams. So, that means with 5 NHL's being close that would need to be spread out over 2-3 years on getting them in the NHL lineup. My point is, they almost are gonna have to start Provorov in the Flyers lineup despite what Hexy is saying publicly. I really don't want to see 3-4 kids starting out at the same time in 2016-17.... 

And there is a cap implication to so many rookies starting out at the same time. It won't show up for 3 years or so until all their ELC's are up. I suppose it's a nice problem but the chatter here in 3-4 years will be fascinating...

Manning HAS to go down in my opinion.

Not till they need to make a move really.

They can have 23.

20 dress and 3 scratches...so there is room for Manning, if he doesn't earn a spot he'll fetch popcorn...it's not ideal but theh can get by till something happens and they need his cap space...then you waive him.

@OccamsRazor

Well true. I didn't mean he has to go down immediately. I'm just painting in broad brush strokes. I'm sure this won't happen but I don't want to see some stupid move like Provorov, Sanheim or Ghost get left off because we are worried about Manning or McDonald. McDonald is of coarse more problematic to deal with....

@OccamsRazor

Well true. I didn't mean he has to go down immediately. I'm just painting in broad brush strokes. I'm sure this won't happen but I don't want to see some stupid move like Provorov, Sanheim or Ghost get left off because we are worried about Manning or McDonald. McDonald is of coarse more problematic to deal with....

Provorov or any other rookie won't get left off because of Manning. If the young guys don't make it, it's because the team doesn't think they're ready.

Provorov or any other rookie won't get left off because of Manning. If the young guys don't make it, it's because the team doesn't think they're ready.

That's what I figured as well and why I said Manning simply won't make the actual team, barring injuries. He may stay on the scratch list but I think Hextall would do better by getting a pick for him before he has been scratched 15 times... 

That's what I figured as well and why I said Manning simply won't make the actual team, barring injuries. He may stay on the scratch list but I think Hextall would do better by getting a pick for him before he has been scratched 15 times... 

Manning has no value in a trade. If we lose him, it will be because he's claimed off waivers 

My feeling is the Flyers ditch one of the vets and Manning plays full time on the third pair. Otherwise he goes to LV. Doesn't make sense otherwise. Manning should be at about the end of his development, but he needs to play to see what he's got. He's not an ideal candidate for a 7th defenseman. But I think this is it for Manning if he doesn't want to be one, or a career AHLer.

Archived