All-Time New Jersey Devils Team

ScottM

NJ-Devils.jpg

The Devils entered the league in 1974 as the Kansas City Scouts, and spent a few years in Denver as the Colorado Rockies before finally making their way to New Jersey. The vast majority of these players come from the Devils era, as that's where most of the franchise's success has come from, but there are a couple of "old-timers on the list.

First Line: Patrick Elias, Scott Gomez, Petr Sykora

Second Line: Zach Parise, Bobby Holik, Wilf Paiement

Third Line: Ilya Kovalchuk, Travis Zajac, John MacLean

Fourth Line: Kirk Muller, Brian Rolston, Pat Verbeek

First Defensive Pair: Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermeyer

Second Defensive Pair: Brian Rafalski, Kan Daneyko

Third Defensive Pair: Rob Ramage, Slava Fetisov

Goaltenders: Martin Brodeur, Chris Terreri, Cory Schneider

Coach: Jacqeus Lemaire

Some of the biggest names to ever play for the Devils aren't on this list since their best days (by far) came with other teams. Brendan Shanahan and Peter Stastny are two good examples. The forward groupings could have used their help, as I didn't find this group to be particularly impressive, especially at center. What the Devils have lacked up front, they've made up for on the blue line, though. The defensemen are an impressive bunch. At goalie, it was Brodeur and everyone else. In reality, he is the New Jersey Devils.

Seriously thank you for recognizing one of the all time most underrated players in the games history Wilf Paiement who spent the vast majority of his career playing for teams that no longer exist. The very definition of a power forward and a bit of a goon who was never afraid to take on a smaller opponent (just ask Dennis Polonich, Lars Erik Ericsson and a slew of Russian players from the World Championships in 1977) or a bigger one for that matter, he had nearly 400 career goals and was the last guy other than Gretzky to wear number 99. A near star who if he had wound up with the right team in the right situation would have been considered a great.

A friend of mine in Edmonton became, for some reason, a huge Ken Daneyko fan. I don't know why. Anyway, we ended up at a game when the Devils were in town, and my friend insisted that we get front row seats (after the Oilers dynasty was stripped for parts, it was very easy to get seats like that) so he could cheer him on close up.

My buddy spent the entire game supporting Daneyko: "Come on, Ken!", "Good job, Ken!", "Way to go, Daneyko!", etc. After a bit of it, Daneyko turned and looked at him with an "is this guy serious?" look on his face. Stay-at-home defensemen who play a tough game aren't usually the guys that get all the glory after all. The Devils won and as they were filing off the ice, Daneyko, laughing, "Here you go, man. Have a good night" and gave Jason his stick.

There's never been a young child given his dream gift that was as happy as my friend at that moment. He ended up putting the stick on his wall.

@yave1964 Paiement put up some great numbers for some truly dreadful Rockies teams back in the day. Wouldn't you have loved to see what he would've done with a cast like the Habs of that time?

@JR Ewing That's an awesome story. I got a good laugh from it. I'll have to keep it in mind should I ever get to go to a game with those kinds of seats. Maybe I could make it work for me.

@JR Ewing That's an awesome story. I got a good laugh from it. I'll have to keep it in mind should I ever get to go to a game with those kinds of seats. Maybe I could make it work for me.

Jason was a funny guy. He was about 19, still living at home while he was going to University. That year, Pro Set hockey cards came out, and sold like hot cakes in this country. They were cheap, easy to find, and of not so great quality. He bought about a million packs and proceeded to staple each of them to the wall, much to his parents' chagrin. The next time I went over (we ran leagues for both Earl Weaver Baseball and Wayne Gretzky Hockey 2 so I was over quite often) he showed me Daneyko's stick: he had driven two thick nails into the wall, using them as sort of a shelf to rest the stick on.

It was both ugly and awesome.

Jason was a funny guy. He was about 19, still living at home while he was going to University. That year, Pro Set hockey cards came out, and sold like hot cakes in this country. They were cheap, easy to find, and of not so great quality. He bought about a million packs and proceeded to staple each of them to the wall, much to his parents' chagrin. The next time I went over (we ran leagues for both Earl Weaver Baseball and Wayne Gretzky Hockey 2 so I was over quite often) he showed me Daneyko's stick: he had driven two thick nails into the wall, using them as sort of a shelf to rest the stick on.

It was both ugly and awesome.

I've never met the guy, and I like him anyway.

I've always been a big Ken Daneyko fan. Just a blood and guts warrior from the get go. This article has him voted best ever #18 overall draft pick. He richly deserves that honour. He was the glue that bound the Devils. His dedication and refusal to lose are legendary.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=673618

Seriously thank you for recognizing one of the all time most underrated players in the games history Wilf Paiement who spent the vast majority of his career playing for teams that no longer exist.

Totally agree, very underrated Mr.Paiement was. Hated when he became a Leaf, ie the enemy, cause before that, I thought he was an unsung hero type, used to follow his career as a youngster. For some reason, I associate Wilf with a very pleasant time in my life, funny....how players or songs can have that effect. Actually, the first time I kissed a girl was Grade 4, we were throwing cards against the wall (LOL....egad, how much those cards are worth today) I believe the game was called "Leansies"....first one to lean a card against the wall got all the cards....LMAO!, anyways, I won, and while scooping up the cards, Wilf was on top (in a Kansas City Scouts uniform no less)...I started gathering them and WHAM...this girl named Janet spun me around and planted one on me. Hilarious, I remember it like it was yesterday.

Totally agree, very underrated Mr.Paiement was. Hated when he became a Leaf, ie the enemy, cause before that, I thought he was an unsung hero type, used to follow his career as a youngster. For some reason, I associate Wilf with a very pleasant time in my life, funny....how players or songs can have that effect. Actually, the first time I kissed a girl was Grade 4, we were throwing cards against the wall (LOL....egad, how much those cards are worth today) I believe the game was called "Leansies"....first one to lean a card against the wall got all the cards....LMAO!, anyways, I won, and while scooping up the cards, Wilf was on top (in a Kansas City Scouts uniform no less)...I started gathering them and WHAM...this girl named Janet spun me around and planted one on me. Hilarious, I remember it like it was yesterday.

You guys are really cracking me up with these stories. Maybe I should post Devils stuff more often if it brings this out. Lol

Archived