Marchand: "We were a divided team last year."

yave1964

Let me start by saying that unlike a lot of the guys in here, I like Marchand and would love to have him and his grit on the Wings. Especially after reading his most recent comments.

“It was different. In the past years, we were family, but for some reason this past year we were definitely a little bit divided, and had different cliques. It could've been because we had a lot of guys coming up in different times from Providence; they felt a lot more together, and it seemed like the older guys didn't do a good job at integrating other guys.

“So it's definitely a combination of things. This year we have to do a much better job collectively as a group to make sure we're all on [the same page], and we're a unit that will transfer over to the ice that will allow us to play better hockey.”

He went on to add, "The majority of the guys wanted nothing more to be in the playoffs last year and even if you have one passenger, that's enough to ruin your chances," Marchand told CSNNE.com.

Hmmm.

So in short, the kids came up and formed a clique because the vets did a poor job of acclimating them. Lets look at who they moved out.

Reilly Smith

Milan Lucic

Carl Soderberg

Dougie Hamilton

The Bruins were wretched on offense last year and these moves made them worse, the additions being Jimmy Hayes and Matt Belesky so they need health from their top two centers or they are going to be a slow grinding club again this year and even more so. You have to think that the clubhouse cancer was cleared out, likely two or more of the above named players. Lucic seems to be a no brainer IMHO as one of the guys who would not be welcoming to the kids, being on his back nine and knowing that any kid might take his job, Reilly Smith never struck me that way, so if there is another one of the guys who helped kill the chemistry last year it was in all likelihood either Soderberg or Hamilton. Curious.

Clubhouses do not have to be filled with the best of pals but everyone needs to be on the same page on the ice. Good for Marchand for serving notice that he is one of his teams leaders now and he will not tolerate the poison from last year.

I think Marchant has drive and grit. He's scored some important goals for Bruins.

BUT, he takes dumb, selfish penalties. Those penalties suck the life out of a team. Young guys trying to win, see him screw up their chances because he happens to be mad at somebody. He's a part of the problem. The fact that he doesn't see or admit that, means that Boston still has serious problems.

@blocker

For his career Marchand has played 377 games and has 344 penalty minutes, about 70 a year for an average. In truth he probably gets the other team off their game and gets as many penalties drawn with his style of play by the other team as he has called against him personally. At worst it is a wash. He really is not the big penalty magnet that a lot of folks see him as. But his schtick likely does get the zebra's watching the game a bit closer, and in a lot of ways can cause more total team penalties being called in the Bruins.

The point of writing this though was obviously he felt that the team last year had a cancer in the clubhouse, and he wanted to clear the air and possibly call out some vets who are still there and let them know it will not happen again this year. The press may not be the proper venue for this but I respect that he felt so passionate about it and is willing to put himself out there.

@yave1964

Of the 4 guys moved, he two that made the least sense from a outsiders perspective were Hamilton and Lucic.

I have no idea on SMith.

Soderberg was a cap casualty. We all knew they were not going to pay a 3rd line center that money, and no hard feelings.

Lucic epitomized what many thought the big bad bruins were supposed to be. Smashmouth hockey. His trade was surprising. Him being a deuce disturber behind the scenes would not surprise me either. Not the most mature, eeerrrrr, man on that Roster.

Hamilton's trade was the MOST surprising. We have a future franchise Dman and contract negotiations, we assume he is asking for the moon as his toilet. Ends up trading to and then signing in Calgary for near NOTHING, and then signed for far far below what most thought he wanted.

Something strange going on. You almost want to semi Absolve Sweeney and consider it may have been problems in the locker.......Then you remember his horrid draft an go "Nah, that dude is nuts"

@blocker

For his career Marchand has played 377 games and has 344 penalty minutes, about 70 a year for an average. In truth he probably gets the other team off their game and gets as many penalties drawn with his style of play by the other team as he has called against him personally. At worst it is a wash. He really is not the big penalty magnet that a lot of folks see him as. But his schtick likely does get the zebra's watching the game a bit closer, and in a lot of ways can cause more total team penalties being called in the Bruins.

The point of writing this though was obviously he felt that the team last year had a cancer in the clubhouse, and he wanted to clear the air and possibly call out some vets who are still there and let them know it will not happen again this year. The press may not be the proper venue for this but I respect that he felt so passionate about it and is willing to put himself out there.

Those are fair points.

@blocker

It really IS a wash. As per war on ice, Marchand has taken 133 penalties, and drawn 126. To put it in perspective, last year, Nazem Kadri had the best penalty differential at +25, while the worst was Andrew Ladd, at -23.

It really IS a wash. As per war on ice, Marchand has taken 133 penalties, and drawn 126. To put it in perspective, last year, Nazem Kadri had the best penalty differential at +25, while the worst was Andrew Ladd, at -23.

Ladd was -23??? I would not have guessd that

I'm also a fan of the rat... would LOVE him in O&B, but he'd set penalty records by the All-Star break.   

Blasphemer!!!   :D   There is only *one* rat!!   Kenny Linsemen be the name.....agaitat'in was his game.....HA HA!   Still think the Rat Patrol (linemates Brian Propp and Paul Holmgrem) was one of the best line names in Flyer lore.

Archived