Top Defensive Players by Defensive Errors - Leafs Leaders - 2015-2016

WordsOfWisdom

Feb. 2: TOR vs BOS

1. Rielly, Bozak
  2. Hunwick, Spaling
  3. Parenteau, Grabner, Bozak

Final score: 4-3 (OT) TOR.

Leafs steal a win from the Bruins despite some awful sloppy play. 1: Rielly is caught out of position here and Bozak doesn't pick up his guy. 2: Hunwick goes for a skate (and is practically led out of the defensive zone by the Boston forward). Spaling is caught napping here. 3: Lazy back-checking here by all forwards involved. Parenteau leaves two Bruins players wide open on the far side. Grabner and Bozak are caught coasting back into the Leafs zone while their team mates deal with (what turns into) a 4-on-3. Ridiculous. 

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Learned a couple of things last night:

1. we might be able to get something good for Polak!
  2. we might be able to get something good for Bozak!
  3. what else Reimes with 'ak'?
  4. how many is that???

;)

Feb.6: TOR vs OTT

1. Phaneuf
  2. Matthias
  3. Reimer
  4. Boyes, Kadri
  5. Gardiner
  6. Hunwick, Matthias

Final score: 6-1 OTT.

A magical night! Two big points tonight for the Leafs!  :hyper:

Explanation:  1: Bad pinch. 2: Give away. 3: Soft/bad angle goal. 4: Lost coverage. 5: Bad pinch. 6: Lost coverage. 

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Man, they were brutal last night. Do I smell something???

The Leafs "cooked up" a surprise and left it under the sheets in their bed last night. :ph34r:

Oh, I almost forgot the explanation on the goals:

1: Bad pinch. 2: Give away. 3: Soft/bad angle goal. 4: Lost coverage. 5: Bad pinch. 6: Lost coverage. 

Or you can just condense that to:

1: Sucks. 2: Sucks. 3: Sucks. 4: Sucks. 5: Sucks. 6: Sucks.

The "legend" of Matthias grows. I'm going to start an entire thread about this guy soon. :ermm:

Feb.9: TOR vs CGY

1. Holland, Parenteau
  2. Leafs (team - too many men)
  3. Marincin
  4. Holland, Reimer

Final score: 4-3 CGY.

Whew! Dodged a bullet tonight. Leafs pick up a big two points to start their western road trip. This was huge. 

1: Holland puts himself completely out of position here. Parenteau can't keep the puck in and is out of position as well. 2: For the first time this season (maybe?) a goal was scored on a Too Many Men penalty, so this goes against the team but not any individual player. 3: Marincin gets beat clean to the outside, losing his man. 4: Holland needs to block this point shot, and Reimer needs to stop it. 

10 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Feb.9: TOR vs CGY

1. Holland, Parenteau
  2. Leafs (team - too many men)
  3. Marincin
  4. Holland, Reimer

Final score: 4-3 CGY.

Whew! Dodged a bullet tonight. Leafs pick up a big two points to start their western road trip. This was huge. 

1: Holland puts himself completely out of position here. Parenteau can't keep the puck in and is out of position as well. 2: For the first time this season (maybe?) a goal was scored on a Too Many Men penalty, so this goes against the team but not any individual player. 3: Marincin gets beat clean to the outside, losing his man. 4: Holland needs to block this point shot, and Reimer needs to stop it. 

I thought Reimer should have had the first one too even though it's a breakaway. It either went five-hole or short side, either way, you want our goalie to make that save. If Bernie had been in net, he'd be on your DE list, lol

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I thought Reimer should have had the first one too even though it's a breakaway. It either went five-hole or short side, either way, you want our goalie to make that save. If Bernie had been in net, he'd be on your DE list, lol

I never penalize the goalie if it's a breakaway.  Same for 2-on-1's, one-timers, etc. In last night's game, one goal was a clear breakaway, another was a one-timer in close, and another was a deflection on a power play if I recall correctly. :ermm:

It certainly wasn't a good game by Reimer, but he's only on the hook for one of those four goals in terms of errors. (Of course his save percentage took a beating though.) 

43 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I never penalize the goalie if it's a breakaway.  Same for 2-on-1's, one-timers, etc.

So even a shot that was right at his chest, but he managed to let squeeze in 7-hole style, would not be an error? Sorry, but that makes no sense to me

9 hours ago, Podein25 said:

So even a shot that was right at his chest, but he managed to let squeeze in 7-hole style, would not be an error? Sorry, but that makes no sense to me

It's because the defensive error is the reason why there was a breakaway. 

You have to remember that all goals allowed are covered by GAA and SV%. They all count against the goalie. Nothing is forgotten. The specific intent of this statistic is to find the non-goalie responsible for the goal. Only when it is clear that the defence has done its job, and no fault can be found with the skaters, do we then proceed to charge the goalie with an error.

Hope that helps.  :)

3 hours ago, BluPuk said:

LOL. We just hit last place all on our own. We're in a class by ourselves!   :cool[1]:

We're on track for the bottom... just a few games in hand that need to be burned off. Western road trip is looking good so far. The Canucks can be tough to lose to, but a loss to the Blackhawks should be fairly routine.  :-)

Feb.13: TOR vs VAN

1. Grabner
  2. Hunwick, Polak, Komarov

Final score: 5-2 TOR.

Wow. Canucks look finished. No danger of them wearing the black uniforms again if they're going to play like that. The errors tonight:  1: A give-away by Grabner. 2: Turnover by Hunwick, with Polak and Komarov caught puck watching. Leafs win easily. Thankfully Columbus did too.  :) 

Yah, I watched the game and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The 'nucks looked like the Leafs of last year! They're out-tanking us!! :lol:

Brendan Leipsic seems to have a nose for the net. He could be a keeper.

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

Yah, I watched the game and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The 'nucks looked like the Leafs of last year! They're out-tanking us!! :lol:

Brendan Leipsic seems to have a nose for the net. He could be a keeper.

Given everything I've seen this season, I'm surprised the Canucks haven't had a fire sale. They need to rebuild. Their window of opportunity to win the Cup closed long time ago and they blew it (as usual). They keep hanging onto the same losing group, kind of like the Leafs used to do prior to this season. 

Cute moment with Leipsic getting his first NHL goal. Reimer was in top form. The Leafs took it to them. The writing was on the wall for the Canucks.  :)

Feb.15: TOR vs CHI

1. Marincin, Froese
  2. Greening
  3. Polak, Komarov
  4. Grabner, Komarov, Hunwick
  5. Spaling, Holland, Reimer
  6. Marincin
  7. Marincin, Komarov, Grabner

Final score: 7-2 CHI.

Worst game of the season for Komarov. Lost coverage, no shot blocking, etc. I won't get into the details of this game because it took me nearly an hour to review the video of 7 @#*%$%^ goals and unbundle all the penalties. 

We look to be home and clear for 30th place at this point. (Fingers crossed!)  :biggrin:

Without looking at the videos again, I will try to remember what the DE descriptions were:

1: Turnover by Marincin along the boards, followed by a giveaway by Froese or something. (I don't recall.) 

2: Penalty by Greening.

3: Penalty by Polak, but Komarov gets one here too because he had 3 full seconds to block that point shot and did nothing but tip it in his own net.

4: Defensive assignment mixup here. 

5: The angle on this goal was sh_t, but Spaling and Holland allowed this to happen.

6: Penalty by Marincin.

7: Penalty by Marincin, with neither Komarov nor Grabner picking up the Blackhawk player in front that blasts it in. 

Interestingly enough, Marincin took a 4-minute double minor, and Froese(?) was in the box too at some point. Both DEs got charged to Marincin because his penalty was first, and after the first half of it expired on the goal, he was the only guy remaining in the box when the second goal was scored. So Froese sort of "dodges" a DE here. 

So, I dont exactly know the premise of this thread. However I can surmise that with the absence of Phaneuf, The Toronto Maple Leafs defense must have taken an astronomical decline in effectiveness.

With how he's played in Ottawa this season, im completely serious.

;)

7 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

We look to be home and clear for 30th place at this point. (Fingers crossed!)  :biggrin:

Ah, but you're forgetting about the Oilers. They're the real pro's here....:cry:

Good work on the all the goals, WOW. I think the boys were a tad overmatched though.....

Archived