3 on 3 discussion

King Knut

I agree with whoever said that the tie makes the playoffs seem more significant and the points system is one of the things that just seems to differentiate the NHL from the other major three.  I'd hate to give it up.

Ok we'll just have to agree to disagree then. It does nothing for the playoffs in my opinion...there are no shootouts in the playoffs...WINNER TAKES ALL!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Win the damn game in regulation...or OT or God forbid the shootout....but i bet teams play harder to get those points knowing they may get nothing for not bringing it.

That's what the playoffs are for.  I'd rather see Giroux play 75+ games a year and personally I think the Flyers have a better chance of ever making the playoffs again if Giroux is in the lineup.

is there another sport with an endless sudden death OT in the playoffs?   Baseball gives both teams an inning.  Football now gives both teams the ball.  the NBA scores so many damn points that sudden death would be a real short OT.

Let's keep that sacred and do what we have to to preserve it.

Ok we'll just have to agree to disagree then. It does nothing for the playoffs in my opinion...there are no shootouts in the playoffs...WINNER TAKES ALL!!!

I don't think you're thinking that through.  If every game never ended until someone broke the tie, then when it never ends in the playoffs, it wouldn't feel any different.

I don't think you're thinking that through.  If every game never ended until someone broke the tie, then when it never ends in the playoffs, it wouldn't feel any different.

I think you're confused here. The playoffs are winner takes how ever long it takes. I want the regular season to be winner take all. But in the same format at now.

regulation-OT- then a shootout.....the difference is only the winner gets a point. The loser nothing. Leave the playoffs alone. There are no shootouts in the playoffs...the loser gets nothing...so in the regular season to help prepare them....the loser gets nothing. Are we on the same page now.

I think you're confused here. The playoffs are winner takes how ever long it takes. I want the regular season to be winner take all. But in the same format at now.

regulation-OT- then a shootout.....the difference is only the winner gets a point. The loser nothing. Leave the playoffs alone. There are no shootouts in the playoffs...the loser gets nothing...so in the regular season to help prepare them....the loser gets nothing. Are we on the same page now.

I think we're just discussing two different points

I think we're just discussing two different points

No. The discussion was 3 on 3. That is only for the regular season. I'm saying keep the format the same as it is now....but however it ends the winner gets two points. The loser gets nothing.

I can't tell if I hate 3 on 3 more or less than the shootout, BUT either way, there look to be a ton of breakaway opportunities during 3 on 3, so it's still going to cost us a bunch of games if we can't score on the breakaway let alone when they gift wrap two penalty shots for us.

they aren't the same thing at all.  breakaways are at full game speed, with backcheckers and a goalie that has to worry about rebounds and taking himself out of the play on follow up chances.  penalty shots are in slow motion with no back pressure, and no opportunities for follow up.  it's an entirely different scenario, and a very different skill set.

i've never noticed a problem with flyers scoring on breakaways.  penalty shots are a different story, a story i find myself having a hard time caring about.

i'd like to see the NHL allow teams to decline penalty shots, though, and opt for a two minute PP.  that's neither here nor there, though.

i'd like to see the NHL allow teams to decline penalty shots, though, and opt for a two minute PP. that's neither here nor there, though.

you would not believe how many times we have joked about that during game chat over the course of the past 3 years.....

i'd like to see the NHL allow teams to decline penalty shots, though, and opt for a two minute PP.

Now this i like i haven't seen this recommendation before...bravo that would be interesting to have the option. I likey.

i'd like to see the NHL allow teams to decline penalty shots, though, and opt for a two minute PP.  that's neither here nor there, though.

USA Hockey used to have this as a rule...penalty shot/optional minor.  I never saw a team take the optional minor.  The scoring percentage is higher if you take the penalty shot.  Also, the opponent does not have an opportunity to score a short handed goal on a penalty shot. 

NHL teams would always pick the penalty shot.

Since the 2005-2006 NHL regular season, penalty shot opportunities consistently yielded a higher conversion percentage of goals made than power play opportunities.

AVqd7.png

*graph does not include data after the 2012-2013 NHL regular season

2014-2015 NHL regular season (82 game season):

Penalty Shots -- 14/41 = 34.1% 

Power Plays -- 1403/7281 = 19.2%

2013-2014 NHL regular season (82 game season):

Penalty Shots -- 21/69 = 30.4% 

Power Plays -- 1441/8055 = 17.9%

2012-2013 NHL regular season (48 game lockout-shortened season):

Penalty Shots -- 8/34 = 23.5%

Power Plays -- 872/4785 = 18.2%

2011-2012 NHL regular season (82 game season):

Penalty Shots -- 27/69 = 39.1%

Power Plays -- 1408/8132 = 17.3%

2010-2011 NHL regular season (82 game season):

Penalty Shots -- 27/78 = 34.6%

Power Plays -- 1571/8179 = 18.0%

2009-2010 NHL regular season (82 game season):

Penalty Shots -- 16/55 = 29.1%

Power Plays -- 1664/9136 = 18.2%

2008-2009 NHL regular season (82 game season):

Penalty Shots -- 23/59 = 39.0%

Power Plays -- 1938/10227 = 18.9%

2007-2008 NHL regular season (82 game season):

Penalty Shots -- 19/64 = 29.7%

Power Plays -- 1871/10536 = 17.8%

2006-2007 NHL regular season (82 game season):

Penalty Shots -- 25/70 = 35.7%

Power Plays -- 2099/11935 = 17.6%

2005-2006 NHL regular season (82 game season):

Penalty Shots -- 35/103 = 33.4%

Power Plays -- 2545/14390 = 17.7%

USA Hockey used to have this as a rule...penalty shot/optional minor.

Did not know this man learn something new everyday.

The scoring percentage is higher if you take the penalty shot.

Maybe but think of it this way a PP will keep you on the edge of your seat longer.

Did not know this man learn something new everyday.

I haven't looked at their rule book in a couple years so they may still have the rule.

Maybe but think of it this way a PP will keep you on the edge of your seat longer.

NHL teams want to win the game.  They don't care about keeping you on the edge of your seat.

NHL teams want to win the game.  They don't care about keeping you on the edge of your seat.

I know but that is the concern it's why they changed the rule because they said the games were getting to long and fans didn't want to stick around for 10 minutes of OT and then a shootout...so i'm thinking along those lines....i don't agree with it but it was their excuse.

Those percentagss are a good start, but i think if you have a 30% power play and/or can eat up two minutes of clock, I could see situations where you might take the two minutes.

I'd prefer there be the option to not having it.

I can think of times they might take it. Up one, less than 2 to go? Yeah, give me the power play.

exactly.  the PS might have the higher conversion rate, but the PP lets you control the game for 2 minutes.  provided you don't allow a shorthanded breakaway. 

USA Hockey used to have this as a rule...penalty shot/optional minor. I never saw a team take the optional minor. The scoring percentage is higher if you take the penalty shot. Also, the opponent does not have an opportunity to score a short handed goal on a penalty shot

Learn something new everyday....thanks for the info

NHL teams would always pick the penalty shot.

they would be stupid not too...too many skilled players taking the shot.

Yeah i don't want no tie..........eff that...loser gets NADA!!!!

I wholeheartedly agree with your ending statement.  Maybe players would try just that much harder in regulation if there were no "free" point for the OT loser.

Yeah big deal win a shootout......

scsc.gif

....there are no shootouts in the playoffs...i could careless about them...save that for the All Sar game!!!!

The playoffs it's all about hockey...it ends with 5 on 5 or 5 on 4 or 5 on 3 but not one on one!!!

You know who really get screwed stats-wise?

The goalie.

Mason put up a very good 60 minutes and his GAA goes from 2.00 to 2.91 in a five minute 3 on 3.

As if the 3 on 3 goal is really the same as the 5 on 5 60 minute goal.

Mason put up a very good 60 minutes and his GAA goes from 2.00 to 2.91 in a five minute 3 on 3.

Wow Rad good catch didn't even catch that.......it sucks.....but well he should have stop that shot by Garrison honestly in OT.

Archived