Bernier vs Reimer: The Debate Renewed

WordsOfWisdom

Reiterating what I said in the other thread......

I think we've seen all that we're going to see from Bernier. I'm now convinced that he's not "the guy". He also appears to be regressing. I would like to see Reimer get another push as the starter. Give Reimer the net and let him play a bundle of games. If that fails, then it would be time to start giving the #3 guy some action. Thoughts?

:)

You'll not likely get many responses on this site, WOW... :P

But here's mine: at this point I would give #3 (not even sure who that would be) a shot. OR, even better, trade for a goalie who is not so fragile as the two we have now.

Reimer tries hard but has little natural ability and is very fragile mentally.

Bernier has more talent (but not enough IMHO) but is also fragile mentally - maybe even more than Reimer.

We need a change in net - a real change. The Leafs work their butts off and Bernier lets in a softie to Pacioretti that would have been stopped by a Jr. B goalie standing up with his stick on the ice! Sooner or later if management doesn't do something - anything, the guys on the bench will quit working hard when they see stuff like that. Let's hope this management team has the cahones to  DO SOMETHING!!  :angry:

You'll not likely get many responses on this site, WOW... :P

But here's mine: at this point I would give #3 (not even sure who that would be) a shot. OR, even better, trade for a goalie who is not so fragile as the two we have now.

Reimer tries hard but has little natural ability and is very fragile mentally.

Bernier has more talent (but not enough IMHO) but is also fragile mentally - maybe even more than Reimer.

We need a change in net - a real change. The Leafs work their butts off and Bernier lets in a softie to Pacioretti that would have been stopped by a Jr. B goalie standing up with his stick on the ice! Sooner or later if management doesn't do something - anything, the guys on the bench will quit working hard when they see stuff like that. Let's hope this management team has the cahones to  DO SOMETHING!!  :angry:

I would have charged him with a defensive error on that play if not for the fact that it was a 2-on-1, so he caught a break there. It was a quality shot, but a questionable goal, and it has to be awful before I give the goalie a DE. He seems to alternate between great game and bad game, just like Reimer. In the games I watch, he is usually having a poor game.

The mark of an NHL starter is that you can play a decent game consistently. The bad games are exceptions, not 50% of the time. But I'm not sweating it because I know this is a throw-away year for the Leafs. They are collecting draft picks and this year is all about tanking.  :)

They both have the propensity to let in soft goals...and of late, Bernier is doing it early, and the Leafs really don't need to start out a game behind the 8 ball...they don't seem to be constructed to come from behind, so it's really important to do the exact opposite of what Bernier is doing. Riemer, he really has no upside, he's a back up, and a very average one at that. I would keep this duo, they will assure you of another quality draft pick, which this team needs really bad....even with Marner and Nylander on the way.

.. give #3...not so fragile as the two we have now.

....Reimer is very fragile mentally...

Bernier is also fragile mentally - maybe even more than Reimer.

You'd be mentally fragile too if you played goal in front of that team.

You'd be mentally fragile too if you played goal in front of that team.

Even with Babber's input and superior hockey knowledge, they are a piss poor excuse for a team, maybe the worst breakout patterns in the league. I'm sure Babber has worked on this continually through training camp and the early season, but hey, you can't make chicken sandwiches out of chicken ****.

• 2 weeks later...

Even with Babber's input and superior hockey knowledge, they are a piss poor excuse for a team, maybe the worst breakout patterns in the league. I'm sure Babber has worked on this continually through training camp and the early season, but hey, you can't make chicken sandwiches out of chicken ****.

I will have to disagree. Bottom third for sure, but definitely not basement.

After the Dallas game last night, Reimer should be the new #1 guy.

I'm sure he will be WOW, until he screws up. That tendency to let in soft goals can happen at other times besides early in the game.... :o

I'm sure he will be WOW, until he screws up. That tendency to let in soft goals can happen at other times besides early in the game.... :o

I just think Reimer has been screwed over ever since Bernier arrived. If you look at the numbers, Reimer was the #1 guy, and the Leafs last made the playoffs with Reimer as the #1 guy.

Bernier never had to "win" the #1 job away from Reimer, it was just given to him. Career wise, the two continue to have similar stats. The Leafs have given Bernier a two year look. Reimer has never had the chance to play more than ~35 games in a season. 

I would be playing Reimer every game in the month of November just to see what he's got, no matter what happens. Unless he falls flat on his face at month's end, I would go with Reimer the rest of the way in.  :)

I will have to disagree. Bottom third for sure, but definitely not basement.

If they are gonna avoid the bottom 3 spots (really, why would you want to?) they need better goaltending, a better transition game from the defense and there might not be a forward who gets 20 goals....that is pretty stinky. I suppose if JVR gets hot, he can...but Kessel was the straw that stirred the drink for the offense....not that I disagree with trading him, it was very wise indeed.

Leafs recall somebody named Bibeau. Bernie apparently injured vs PIT (except he wasn't so injured that he couldn't backup Reimer last night....hmmmm).

Bernie being traded maybe?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-recall-goaltender-antoine-bibeau-on-emergency-basis/

Leafs recall somebody named Bibeau. Bernie apparently injured vs PIT (except he wasn't so injured that he couldn't backup Reimer last night....hmmmm).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-recall-goaltender-antoine-bibeau-on-emergency-basis/

Ugggh, with our luck, he is a Flyer.....

We can always hope...... :cool[1]:

Ah, so the #3 guy finally surfaces. Earlier than expected, but I knew we'd see him this year at some point.  He's going to get a chance to steal the #1 job from both Reimer and Bernier. (A tough task to be sure, but a distinct possibility.) 

I just think Reimer should get first crack at it. He has never had a proper extended run as the #1 guy. He was always covering for an injury to someone else, battling for the spot, and then yanked on his first bad game.

But what I think will happen is Reimer is probably going to be traded or released and the Leafs will move forward with Bernier and Bibeau.  :mellow:

But what I think will happen is Reimer is probably going to be traded or released and the Leafs will move forward with Bernier and Bibeau.

I dunno. At this point in the proceedings, Bernier has more trade value than Reimer. Because he has pedigree. His numbers prior to joining the Leafs were good. And since joining the Leafs he has faced over 40 shots a game most of the time.  

I dunno. At this point in the proceedings, Bernier has more trade value than Reimer. Because he has pedigree. His numbers prior to joining the Leafs were good. And since joining the Leafs he has faced over 40 shots a game most of the time.  

Boy I wonder. Reimer might be getting playing time right now specifically to showcase him for a trade. I feel like management bailed on Reimer years ago. (I wouldn't have, but they did.) They are at the point where I think they will either get something for him in return or they will just release him and make Bibeau the new backup.

Bernier probably commands more in a trade, but given his propensity for allowing soft goals, I doubt he commands that much more... probably not nearly as much as the Leafs would hope he would if they wanted to flip him for a draft pick at the deadline.   :unsure[1]:

• 1 month later...

Looks like Bernier has reclaimed the #1 job again after his minor league confidence building stint. On one hand, you have to feel for Reimer. On the other hand, this is classic Reimer: never there when the team needs him most.

When Bernier was floundering, Reimer got injured. That was his chance to grab the #1 job and he failed again. Whether through poor play or brief glimpses of great play in between prolonged periods of injury, Reimer doesn't seem like he has the body to handle playing 60+ games as an NHL starter. He may be one of those guys that isn't built to be a workhorse. :ermm:

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Full tank mode now with Reimer gone! 

Leafs are going to regret this move because Reimer was just getting good.  :sick:

Stalock + Bernier must be the worst duo in the league. We were just talking a few days back on how bad Stalock was lol

Archived