"Letting up" When Target is in a Vulnerable Position?

WordsOfWisdom

Is it the responsibility of a player to "let up" when their target is in a vulnerable position or is it the responsibility of a player to avoid putting themselves in a vulnerable position by keeping their head up and paying attention at all times so they don't get clobbered?

The Rinaldo play was a cheap shot at the end of a period against a defenseless player who had no possibility of defending himself. It was a penalty from start to finish.

The Gudas hit was a solid hockey play.

Neither were suspensions.

What evidence do you have for your "shift"?

Is it the responsibility of a player to "let up" when their target is in a vulnerable position or is it the responsibility of a player to avoid putting themselves in a vulnerable position by keeping their head up and paying attention at all times so they don't get clobbered?

Thornton got suspended for this one. Its not like he jumped into the hit, or even put much into it(He just stood him up straight). But a 6'4 guy hitting a short guy coming from the penalty box is going to kill them every time during a suicide pass.

I was mad when they suspended him for this one because Perron's head being turned due to the suicide pass while Joe was coming from the box was circumstantial.

Neither were suspensions.

What evidence do you have for your "shift"?

I think whether from fan pressure or media pressure, the league is starting to find ways to remove the big hits from the game. ("Big hit" = where the target is knocked out or injured by the hit.) Those are usually the hits that are delivered to a player with his head down or looking backward to receive a pass. Today, such hits are almost always an automatic penalty + game misconduct, and then it's usually just a question of how long the suspension will be.

("Big hit" = where the target is knocked out or injured by the hit.)

Losing consciousness is an injury.

If you can't enjoy the game without players getting injured, I suggest there might be something wrong with you. Risk of injury is a part of the game, it's not the point of the game. I've seen plenty of "big hits" that don't result in injury.

I don't think this has anything to do with fan pressure or media pressure - I think it has to do with the long term liability of the league informed by the NFL's current concussion situation.

Money talks.

Losing consciousness is an injury.

If you can't enjoy the game without players getting injured, I suggest there might be something wrong with you. Risk of injury is a part of the game, it's not the point of the game. I've seen plenty of "big hits" that don't result in injury.

I don't think this has anything to do with fan pressure or media pressure - I think it has to do with the long term liability of the league informed by the NFL's current concussion situation.

Money talks.

I never said that. You are putting words in my mouth.  :o

General questions to ponder:

• When is a penalty sufficient punishment for an illegal hit? (ie: boarding)
  • Should every illegal hit be accompanied by a suspension?
  • How does one determine what is intentional vs accidental?

There are so many "shades of grey" in the NHL, as in most sports.  :)

Archived