The Only Tribute Phil Kessel Should Get is Cookies Thrown At Him!

WordsOfWisdom

qTYEjffwRPKpqxYtKmOi_the-penguin-645x356

I keep reading articles about how Phil Kessel isn't going to get a tribute when he returns to Toronto as a Penguin tonight. Well boo hoo. You need to accomplish something during your time as a Leaf to get a tribute.

Actually, historically you don't need to accomplish anything. You just have to be an ex-Leaf player and you'll get a 30 minute tribute prior to the start of the game, just so it never starts at 7pm like it's supposed to and the team can sell more advertising revenue. That's really what the tributes are all about isn't it? Isn't it? Or is it just to celebrate mediocrity? Celebrate something because you can rather than because it's warranted right?  :confused[1]:

In any event, my take on Kessel was that he was a moody, selfish, one dimensional, "charisma vacuum" of a player that hated the spotlight in Toronto. He had zero leadership qualities, and did his best to disappear after games rather than give a 30 second sound bite. "Just gimme my 8-mil cheque and be happy I show up here at all" is the vibe I got from him.

I think fans were quite happy to see Kessel go. There were no fond memories to look back on during those years, and his act wore thin. Why should he receive a tribute? For what?

Finally, the Leafs get it right by not celebrating crap.

Maybe they were happy to see him go but he scored goals.  I actually am going to pick Toronto to win this game tonight.  I watched my Sabres put 53 shots on this soooo over rated Pittsburgh team.  They were LUCKY to escape with a win.  They will not always be so lucky.  A desperate Leafs team may be just what will do them in.  I think the Leafs will be desperate and no doubt Babcock has given them more than an earful since their last game.  I do not think they have alot of talent but i do think Pittsburgh has seen their better days for some time to come.  They do not scare me one bit. I hope the Leafs do them in.  They should, if they can get to Fluery.  As for Kessel, he has not brought instant magic to them as expected.  I wonder if Babcock is starting to regret not taking the job in Buffalo.  

1. If he would have smiled for the camera after games and just read out the usual PR-managed junk to the media, I bet you he would have received a tribute.
  2. I would be.  :) Actually no, he got the money. That's all that counts. :unsure[1]:

I like the no-tribute thing. It's not like Kessel spent his whole career here, or that he was madly in love with the TO fans or media.

I wish him well in Pittsburgh except when he plays the Leafs, and I'm not sorry he left at all.

Let's keep track of what we get in return, and give them a tribute.. :cool[1]:

Maybe they were happy to see him go but he scored goals.  I actually am going to pick Toronto to win this game tonight.  I watched my Sabres put 53 shots on this soooo over rated Pittsburgh team.  They were LUCKY to escape with a win.  They will not always be so lucky.  A desperate Leafs team may be just what will do them in.  I think the Leafs will be desperate and no doubt Babcock has given them more than an earful since their last game.  I do not think they have alot of talent but i do think Pittsburgh has seen their better days for some time to come.  They do not scare me one bit. I hope the Leafs do them in.  They should, if they can get to Fluery.  As for Kessel, he has not brought instant magic to them as expected.  I wonder if Babcock is starting to regret not taking the job in Buffalo.  

I swear someone could post something about their Aunt Mabel dying of brain cancer and you'd bring up how the Sabres are going to kick her ass.

As for Kessel, I don't think he deserves a tribute. The fans can cheer him, or boo him if they want. He brought skill, and one of the laziest attitudes I've seen to the franchise. He didn't make the deal that brought him there..but it set them back years.

As for Kessel, I don't think he deserves a tribute. The fans can cheer him, or boo him if they want. He brought skill, and one of the laziest attitudes I've seen to the franchise. He didn't make the deal that brought him there..but it set them back years.

Agreed, and he got booed big time. :thumbsu:

I like the no-tribute thing. It's not like Kessel spent his whole career here, or that he was madly in love with the TO fans or media.

I wish him well in Pittsburgh except when he plays the Leafs, and I'm not sorry he left at all.

Let's keep track of what we get in return, and give them a tribute.. :cool[1]:

I agree with everything you said, except for the wishing him well part. I was hoping Phaneuf or someone on the Leafs would have absolutely leveled him with a nasty bodycheck. I was kinda hoping to see him get knocked into the boards and concussed. :thumbsu:

I'm just going to pretend he never existed. Sundin is the best player we've had since Sundin.   :D

Really? I find that quite disrespectful, Kessel led the Leafs in scoring for his whole tenure in Toronto and was integral for them making the playoffs in the last 10 years. Atleast some acknowledgement from Toronto would have been satisfactory.

Really? I find that quite disrespectful, Kessel led the Leafs in scoring for his whole tenure in Toronto and was integral for them making the playoffs in the last 10 years. Atleast some acknowledgement from Toronto would have been satisfactory.

Who?  ;)

Sorry but you have to know the whole back story here. There is a reason he (who must not be named) got traded. It was an awful trade to get him here, and then he (who must not be named) managed to make the Leafs regret the trade even more by never becoming anything more than what he already was, and by living down to the bad reputation he had with the Bruins that saw him get shipped out of town.

Who?  ;)

Sorry but you have to know the whole back story here. There is a reason he (who must not be named) got traded. It was an awful trade to get him here, and then he (who must not be named) managed to make the Leafs regret the trade even more by never becoming anything more than what he already was, and by living down to the bad reputation he had with the Bruins that saw him get shipped out of town.

"it was an awful trade to get him here" Did Kessel make the trade? He is not to blame for that trade, maybe your incompetent GM can take the blame.

Again, that is not his fault. Whoever made the trade clearly overestimated his abilities, you simply expected more then you got.

"it was an awful trade to get him here" Did Kessel make the trade? He is not to blame for that trade, maybe your incompetent GM can take the blame.

Again, that is not his fault. Whoever made the trade clearly overestimated his abilities, you simply expected more then you got.

He (who must not be named) was given a SECOND CHANCE. The Bruins dumped his ass for various chemistry/locker room/attitude related issues, not for his on-ice performance. For an ELITE hockey player, that would motivate them to prove their old team wrong. Instead, he (who must not be named) never did anything when the Leafs played the Bruins. His replacement outperformed him on many occasions, and the Bruins quickly won a Stanley Cup without him, thereby proving the Bruins right in making that move.

When the Leafs acquired him, it was a bad trade. It cost Burke his job. Obviously that's a tough obstacle for a player to overcome. However, you can at least be a leader on the team, do your part, and answer the fracking media questions afterwards when you're the highest paid player by miles in a hockey mad market. You can't be invisible when you're the highest paid player.

He (who must not be named) was given a SECOND CHANCE. The Bruins dumped his ass for various chemistry/locker room/attitude related issues, not for his on-ice performance. For an ELITE hockey player, that would motivate them to prove their old team wrong. Instead, he (who must not be named) never did anything when the Leafs played the Bruins. His replacement outperformed him on many occasions, and the Bruins quickly won a Stanley Cup without him, thereby proving the Bruins right in making that move.

When the Leafs acquired him, it was a bad trade. It cost Burke his job. Obviously that's a tough obstacle for a player to overcome. However, you can at least be a leader on the team, do your part, and answer the fracking media questions afterwards when you're the highest paid player by miles in a hockey mad market. You can't be invisible when you're the highest paid player.

People simply expected too much,a leader? Some peoplesimply aaren't suited to be a leader. Now obviously Kessel did not like the limelight, seemed introverted to me. And he was invisible for the majority of his stay in Toronto, defensively? Undeniably. But he was their best and most relevant player for the majority of his stay there. Thats not being invisible, in addition to a integral part in the I only playoff appearance in ten years...not invisible, dissapointing? Sure. The rest of your comment I agree with.

People simply expected too much,a leader? Some peoplesimply aaren't suited to be a leader. Now obviously (he who must not be named) did not like the limelight, seemed introverted to me. And he was invisible for the majority of his stay in Toronto, defensively? Undeniably. But he was their best and most relevant player for the majority of his stay there. Thats not being invisible, in addition to a integral part in the I only playoff appearance in ten years...not invisible, dissapointing? Sure. The rest of your comment I agree with.

That's one of the things I noticed almost right away when he got here: the guy is shy. What a terrible fit for a city like Toronto. (Again, I blame Burke for all of that stuff.) I wish Toronto would acquire the second coming of JR (Jeremy Roenick), Brett Hull, and Patrick Roy. That's the kind of personality type that would thrive in this environment. I want players on the Leafs that will enjoy the spotlight.  :)

Archived