LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2015-2016

pilldoc

Just now, pilldoc said:

Agree....I don't know about you, but it seems like Provorov has turned it up a notch since the WJC.  He is just playing lights out and as someone else mentioned, he is playing on the edge with a chip on his shoulder.  Again...hate to rush him, but how can the Flyers not have him on the roster next year.

The only way he doesn't make the BIG squad is he comes in and tries to do to much or just let's the pressure get the best of him....which from what i've seen with his smarts and maturity level can't see it affecting him.

Provorov, Ghost and MDZ will give the Flyers some much needed fire power from the backend for next year and should help take a load of the forwards.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phantoms lose again 5-1.

Labarbera gives up 5 goals for the 2nd game in a row...this time in only 40 minutes as he didn't play in the 3rd.

Phantoms don't stand a chance without Stolarz. 

Labarbera is swiss cheese.

If we can move Streit at the deadline, that opens up a spot for Provorov next year. It might be harder now that he's lost his spot on the top PP, since those are the skills another team would be interested in having.

MDZ/Ghost

Provorov/Medvedev

Gudas/Schultz

That third pairing would be a little slow, but could be a shut down pairing.

With all the contracts that are expiring, I also think a young forward makes the squad next year. Could be Konecny, but more likely to be Cousins if he can show he belongs with the opportunity he has right now.

It would be nice if AK or Lindblom (or even Straka or Martel?) can have strong starts to the AHL season and get a look. 

48 minutes ago, brelic said:

It would be nice if AK or Lindblom (or even Straka or Martel?) can have strong starts to the AHL season and get a look.

What makes you say that? Hell Straka was leading the whole AHL in goals before he got hurt and couldn't get a cup of coffee on a team struggling to score goals.

Martel right now leads Phantoms and all AHL rookies in goals with 17 (3 more than highly touted Mikko Rantanen) and can't get a callup on the unskilled Flyer team. He also has more goals than Nick Ritchie, Chase De Leo and Michael McCarron. And he was undrafted.

Hextall should of left Stolarz on the Phantoms so they would of had a chance to win these two games this weekend since he wasn't going to play him...hell Labarbera could have rode the damn pine....but no he left him on the Phantoms and he gives up 10 goals in two games...no way either club makes the playoffs this year.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

What makes you say that? Hell Straka was leading the whole AHL in goals before he got hurt and couldn't get a cup of coffee on a team struggling to score goals.

Martel right now leads Phantoms and all AHL rookies in goals with 17 (3 more than highly touted Mikko Rantanen) and can't get a callup on the unskilled Flyer team. He also has more goals than Nick Ritchie, Chase De Leo and Michael McCarron. And he was undrafted.

Well, we have Schenn, Gagner, Raffl, White, and Weal on expiring contracts. I figure Schenn gets resigned based on how he's developed chemistry with Couturier. It would be silly not to retain him. 

The other guys, I don't know. Gagner is the most likely to be gone. Personally, I would keep Raffl and White on cheap, bottom six contracts. Weal is a wildcard. He can barely crack the lineup now. I also think they will buy out Umberger. So here's what's left:

Simmonds/G/Voracek

? / Couturier/Schenn

Read/Laughton/Raffl

VV/Bellemare/White

I'd love to move Read, but based on his age, salary, and production, I doubt there'd be many takers. Two more years at $3.65M for a 25-point, 30 year old middle six winger. How would you feel if the Flyers traded for that kind of player? 

So I think there will be at least one open roster spot at forward, maybe more. I'm really not sure Hextall will go for drastic, wholesale changes. He seems like the slow, incremental type so far. 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Well, we have Schenn, Gagner, Raffl, White, and Weal on expiring contracts. I figure Schenn gets resigned based on how he's developed chemistry with Couturier. It would be silly not to retain him. 

The other guys, I don't know. Gagner is the most likely to be gone. Personally, I would keep Raffl and White on cheap, bottom six contracts. Weal is a wildcard. He can barely crack the lineup now. I also think they will buy out Umberger. So here's what's left:

Simmonds/G/Voracek

? / Couturier/Schenn

Read/Laughton/Raffl

VV/Bellemare/White

I'd love to move Read, but based on his age, salary, and production, I doubt there'd be many takers. Two more years at $3.65M for a 25-point, 30 year old middle six winger. How would you feel if the Flyers traded for that kind of player? 

So I think there will be at least one open roster spot at forward, maybe more. I'm really not sure Hextall will go for drastic, wholesale changes. He seems like the slow, incremental type so far. 

Hard to say. Ya never know some of those guys could be traded out of here...RJ they are stuck with...and yes i agree they could just say eff it and buy him out and move on.

I wonder if Leier could slot in on the LW of Coots and Schenn? He is a solid two way player that can put up points when put in that position.

Once he is ready, I believe he will be  better than anyone in the current  bottom six with the potential to be better than that. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

No "dabs" on any of his points, shots, or skates around the rink.

Well then it begs to be asked how good can he really be??

Love the awareness to pick off the pass around the boards and of course the finish..............hell they could be hard pressed to keep him off the Flyers next year too despite his size....just saying 

Phantoms with 5-game homestand coming up. And 7 of next 8 at home as well. Lots of hockey at PPL Center in February.

They need to send Stolarz down to play in some of these games if they want to win...especially if they aren't going to play him in the NHL the kid needs to play.

GOALTENDERS

LEAGUE PROSP. TALENT PROB. OF SUCCESS
1. Anthony Stolarz Pro 7.0 C
2. Merrick Madsen NCAA 7.0 D
3. Felix Sandstrom Europe 7.0 D
4. Matej Tomek NCAA 7.0 D
5. Ivan Fedotov Europe 6.5 D

RIGHT WING

1. Nicolas Aube-Kubel CHL 7.0 C
2. Michael Parks Pro 6.5 C
3. Cole Bardreau Pro 6.5 C
4. Petr Straka Pro 6.0 C
5. Brandon Alderson Pro 6.0 C
6. Derek Mathers Pro 5.5 D

LEFT WING

1. Taylor Leier Pro 6.5 C
2. Oskar Lindblom Europe 6.5 C
3. Radel Fazleev CHL 6.5 C
4. Samuel Dove-McFalls CHL 6.5 C
5. Danick Martel Pro 6.5 D
6. Andrew Johnston Pro 6.0 C
7. Tyrell Goulbourne Pro 6.0 D

CENTERS

1. Scott Laughton Pro 7.5 B
2. Travis Konecny CHL 7.5 B
3. Nick Cousins Pro 7.0 C
4. Jordan Weal Pro 7.0 D
5. David Kase Europe 7.0 D
6. Cooper Marody NCAA 6.5 C
7. Mikhail Vorobyov Europe 6.5 C

DEFENSEMEN

1. Ivan Provorov CHL 8.0 B
2. Samuel Morin Pro 7.5 B
3. Travis Sanheim CHL 7.5 B
4. Shayne Gostisbehere Pro 7.5 C
5. Mark Alt Pro 7.0 C
6. Robert Hagg Pro 7.0 C
7. Mark Friedman NCAA 7.0 C
8. Valeri Vasiliev Europe 6.5 C
9. Reece Willcox NCAA 6.5 C
10. Jesper Pettersson Pro 6.5 C
11. Terrance Amorosa NCAA 6.5 D
12. Christian Marti Pro 6.5 D
13. Brandon Manning Pro 6.0 C
14. David Drake NCAA 6.0 C
15. Maxim Lamarche Pro 6.0 C
16. Matt Konan Pro 6.0 D
17. Philippe Myers CHL 6.0 D

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Pretty sure HF can call Konecny a wing.

Yeah it hasn't really been updated in awhile i just copied and posted it...in fact they still have Andrew Johnston listed and they never resigned him.

But that prospect list has greatly improved in the last couple of years.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah it hasn't really been updated in awhile i just copied and posted it...in fact they still have Andrew Johnston listed and they never resigned him.

But that prospect list has greatly improved in the last couple of years.

Honestly I think they're top ten (just). It's a lot tougher and more value getting a group of Provorov/Sanheim/Ghost/Morin not to mention Konecny than any of the 5 listed ahead of Phillys IMO.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Honestly I think they're top ten (just). It's a lot tougher and more value getting a group of Provorov/Sanheim/Ghost/Morin not to mention Konecny than any of the 5 listed ahead of Phillys IMO.

Yes i would agree....i think even Calgary's farm should be rated way higher they have a good solid group as well.

TSN just released rankings with regards to the top 50 prospects and the Flyers had 4: Ivan Provorov, Travis Sanheim, Travis Konecny and Philippe Myers. From some of the hockey people I talk to, they're raving about Myers and his growth so far. They think the Flyers might have struck gold with Myers and it's yet another potential top 2 defender in the pipeline. I wad told that the Flyers pipeline with regards top defensive prospects it's considered an embarrassment of riches. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

TSN just released rankings with regards to the top 50 prospects and the Flyers had 4: Ivan Provorov, Travis Sanheim, Travis Konecny and Philippe Myers. From some of the hockey people I talk to, they're raving about Myers and his growth so far. They think the Flyers might have struck gold with Myers and it's yet another potential top 2 defender in the pipeline. I wad told that the Flyers pipeline with regards top defensive prospects it's considered an embarrassment of riches. 

I hope it doesn't turn into just an embarrassment! 

@flyercanuck

This kid is gonna be something special ..... this video is from 2 days ago.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/2/11/10972232/watch-travis-konecny-scores-before-anyone-even-knows-whats-happened

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/697809596321169408/pu/vid/1280x720/sa3vGIqyPbZWSSBo.mp4

Travis Konecny, the Philadelphia Flyers' 24th overall pick from the 2015 NHL draft, spent his entire OHL career with the Ottawa 67's - until he was traded to the Sarnia Sting. But even though he only played 29 games with Ottawa, he's still the 67's second-highest point scorer, with seven goals and 38 assists.

Seven goals really isn't a lot, though. But since ending up in Sarnia - and though he's only played 16 games with them, he's already fourth in team scoring - he has 12 goals and 16 assists.

Konecny wasn't scoring that much himself in Ottawa, but in Sarnia? Well, via Brady Trettenero here's his latest:
Konecny goes for a spin - and then the puck is off his stick and in the net before anyone is quite sure what happened. It was the game-tying goal; Sarnia won 2-1.

He now has 19 goals and 54 assists - 73 points - through 45 games, good for sixth overall in OHL scoring. The only players ahead of him his age are third and fourth overall picks Dylan Strome and Mitch Marner, as well as the draft-eligible Matthew Tkachuk, who is currently projected to go fourth overall this upcoming draft.

Remember, Konecny was chosen 24th overall, and that's the company he's keeping.

Konecny still has another 17 regular season games with Sarnia this season. If he keeps up his current pace, he'll have 101 points in junior this season. He's a March birthday, so next season, it's either the OHL or NHL for him - and where are you supposed to go from a 100-point season?

So if he keeps this type of pace up do Hakstsol/Hexy and company make room for him on the roster next year or does he go back to juniors?  Obviouosly he does not go to Lehigh Valley with the Phantoms. (IMO, if it was not for the AHL age rule, that is where I would want him). He is gonna make it real hard for them to send him back.

Archived