Tank Nation: How will the upcoming Draft Lottery shake out for the Leafs?

WordsOfWisdom

post-1448-0-01670900-1446498023_thumb.jp

Questions:

• Who is the projected #1 and #2 players for this upcoming draft?
  • How do they compare to McDavid and Eichel?
  • Does the 30th place team still draft no lower than #2?
  • What are the probabilities this year?
  • Who is in the tank race this season? Toronto, Arizona, Columbus? ... ?
  • Who do you see the Leafs moving out at the deadline to remain 30th?

I guess this could be a general topic of discussion as well, but it's really only appealing to Leafs fans this year I think.   :)

1. Mathews and Chychryn...arguably. Laine/Puljujarvi/Tckachuk are others

2. They aren't in their league. Though I think Mathews is close to Eichel. But as a pair, no way.

3. Top 3 picks are up for grabs.

4.The probabilities? The Leafs will miss the playoffs. So will the Flyers.

5. I don't think teams are actually tanking like Buffalo did last year. But the Leafs certainly are purging.

6. Who knows..JVR? Bozak? Lupul? Phaneuf?

1. Mathews and Chychryn...arguably. Laine/Puljujarvi/Tckachuk are others

Spell checkers beware.  ;)

2. They aren't in their league. Though I think Mathews is close to Eichel. But as a pair, no way.

That's what I was afraid of.  :(

5. I don't think teams are actually tanking like Buffalo did last year. But the Leafs certainly are purging

Alright, let's call it "rebuilding" -- the accepted PR term for bottoming out and having zero expectations for about five consecutive years. :thumbsu:

At this point, WOW, it's impossible to say where the Leafs will be drafting, BUT, I'm hoping we don't darft first, if that makes any sense. Yah, I know there's an "elite" talent or two available at the front end of the draft but ask the Oilers how that's working out for them?  :huh:  If you really want a cup, you need a LOT more than talent alone......

Besides, I think this team will win enough games to put them out of the lottery anyway. I don't know about you, but I really liked what I saw last night  :cool[1]: .

Patience, Grasshopper... :P

At this point, WOW, it's impossible to say where the Leafs will be drafting, BUT, I'm hoping we don't darft first, if that makes any sense. Yah, I know there's an "elite" talent or two available at the front end of the draft but ask the Oilers how that's working out for them?  :huh:  If you really want a cup, you need a LOT more than talent alone......

Besides, I think this team will win enough games to put them out of the lottery anyway. I don't know about you, but I really liked what I saw last night  :cool[1]: .

Patience, Grasshopper... :P

For pride purposes I suppose. I lost any sense of dignity and self respect that I had long time ago. :thumbsu:

Iiieeeeeeeeeeee! :blink[1]: That would be bad, especially a 9th place finish. The tank ran out of gas last night, but that's to be expected after driving long and hard for 5 Ls. Not to worry, we'll get'r all fueled up and ready to roll again! 

(WARNING: Non-stop, face-palm inducing tank references lie ahead lol.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Geeze, WOW, it's getting frustrating watching these guys again. The same defensive mistakes over and over and over. The same missed opportunities in front of the opponents net. (LOFT). The same dump and chase (most time without the CHASE part though) which is really just a long pass to the opposition. And we keep hearing the same stuff out of Babcock. I so badly want somebody in the press to ask him after one of our pleasure skates, "Yeah, but what do you intend to DO about it, Mike?" in stead of his usual commentary on what we all just watched anyway.

Well, the good news is the Habs are losing.....  :P

21 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

Geeze, WOW, it's getting frustrating watching these guys again. The same defensive mistakes over and over and over. The same missed opportunities in front of the opponents net. (LOFT). The same dump and chase (most time without the CHASE part though) which is really just a long pass to the opposition. And we keep hearing the same stuff out of Babcock. I so badly want somebody in the press to ask him after one of our pleasure skates, "Yeah, but what do you intend to DO about it, Mike?" in stead of his usual commentary on what we all just watched anyway.

Well, the good news is the Habs are losing.....  :P

Babcock knows that he can't do anything with this group. It's the same rotten core that has been stinking for the past 5-6 years. Lots of changes need to be made, and they need to be made on the ice, not in the boardroom.  :(

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked the standings and it's NOT good. We have three games in hand over both Barfalo and the Oil. I think we are going to finish the season @ 27th or 4th pick. The top 3 are good players, but from there on down, it gets pretty slim (naturally, this would occur when we have an early pick). So let's say for the sake of argument that we don't get pulled out of the hat on the first three picks and that one team that does get pulled in the first 3 finished higher than we did. that will move us to 5th pick. And it only gets worse from there the more teams that finish above us that get a lottery pick (like say, the Habs?), or the higher we finish. I guess 50 years of futility wasn't enough....:cry:

Waaaahhhhh  ;)

There's plenty of really good players after the top 3. I'd be happy as heck to get Dubois, and he's rated 6-10. The leafs should be picking top 5 even if they lose the lottery. Any one of Chychryn/Tkachuk/Nylander/McLeod/Juolevi would be great for the Leafs...let alone if they got one of those top 3.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

There's plenty of really good players after the top 3. I'd be happy as heck to get Dubois, and he's rated 6-10. The leafs should be picking top 5 even if they lose the lottery. Any one of Chychryn/Tkachuk/Nylander/McLeod/Juolevi would be great for the Leafs...let alone if they got one of those top 3.

That is not correct. If the Leafs finish 27th, and all 3 lottery picks are above them in the standings they would pick 7th. Granted, the odds are against that happening but it is possible. 

8 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

That is not correct. If the Leafs finish 27th, and all 3 lottery picks are above them in the standings they would pick 7th. Granted, the odds are against that happening but it is possible. 

Sure.

But right now they're dead last and worst case scenario, they'd pick 4th. I really can't see 3 other teams ending up worse than what the Leafs are icing on a regular basis. One of those teams you could be battling for last is Buffalo, and they're in your division and have better players. McDavids back in Edmonton, him alone should be able to get more points than the Leafs.

This isn't the Leafs of old...who'd just plain suck until they were officially eliminated and then go on a ten game winning streak. This is a gawdawful team with a serious lack of talent who's probably overachieved. 

Sure it's possible they pick 7th. It's also possible they win the cup. But they won't.

Archived