The Habs without Price?

BluPuk

Montreal plays a complete team game for sure...they have since last season.

Only then, they had issues with putting pucks in nets.  Not so this season, hence their high ranking in the standings.

And yes, they are doing this without Carey Price (again, because of their complete team game) because players on the team are executing to the letter, stars are being stars, and some players may be overachieving.....all this going on at once is a GOOD thing for this team.

That all said, you can bet this team would NOT want to be without Price come the post season.

It's one thing to execute/overachieve, etc in the regular season....quite another to do that game in, game out when you are matched up against better teams for 7 game sets.

Hockey, in general, puts lots of emphasis on goalies winning games.

And more times than not, it is correct use of emphasis.

It almost never is, everyone makes up this notion that you need a good goalie and then they turn around and show you teams where the goalie has 2-3 good defensive pairings all blocking 20 shots a night. Everyone obsesses over "stealing" games that can't be stolen unless your team scores points.

A goalie is probably the most replaceable person on a team, otherwise the likes of Brodeur, Lundvist, Rask would have many, many more championships than they do have.

It almost never is, everyone makes up this notion that you need a good goalie and then they turn around and show you teams where the goalie has 2-3 good defensive pairings all blocking 20 shots a night. Everyone obsesses over "stealing" games that can't be stolen unless your team scores points.

A goalie is probably the most replaceable person on a team, otherwise the likes of Brodeur, Lundvist, Rask would have many, many more championships than they do have.

Hmm...in that case, give Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, Minnesota and a few others a call and let them know they are COMPLETELY wasting their time trying to maintain consistent goaltending.

You make some valid points on defense pairings and such, but if goalies were so replaceable, there are tons in the AHL, in Europe and in retirement who need to be called in for duty........880 save pct be damned. 

I like to think good defense pairings simply enhance a good goalie and can sometimes make a mediocre one look better than what he is.

But when you get right down to it...come crunch time in just about any playoff series, that 'replaceable goalie' is simply going to have to carry his team for stretches. And only a good one will be able to keep his team in, while an also ran will surely let in a back breaking goal.

Give Marc Bergevin a call too while you're at it....tell him he needn't worry about having Price for any sort of playoff run. Condon, Tokarski, Budaj, or even some ham n egger will do just fine. ;)

Hmm...in that case, give Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, Minnesota and a few others a call and let them know they are COMPLETELY wasting their time trying to maintain consistent goaltending.

You make some valid points on defense pairings and such, but if goalies were so replaceable, there are tons in the AHL, in Europe and in retirement who need to be called in for duty........880 save pct be damned. 

I like to think good defense pairings simply enhance a good goalie and can sometimes make a mediocre one look better than what he is.

But when you get right down to it...come crunch time in just about any playoff series, that 'replaceable goalie' is simply going to have to carry his team for stretches. And only a good one will be able to keep his team in, while an also ran will surely let in a back breaking goal.

Give Marc Bergevin a call too while you're at it....tell him he needn't worry about having Price for any sort of playoff run. Condon, Tokarski, Budaj, or even some ham n egger will do just fine. ;)

You're comparing someone in the AHL to NHL?

Well since we are throwing logic out the window and basing everything off of save % in a inferior league might as well call up pete rose from baseball too.

Take away Price's top line and watch his % drop dramatically, replace Price with his backup and watch the team keep winning.

How many of those teams have had a cup in the last decade? One?

Keep toeing the line and doing it like its always been done, that will surely win them a cup eventually.

You're comparing someone in the AHL to NHL?

Well since we are throwing logic out the window and basing everything off of save % in a inferior league might as well call up pete rose from baseball too.

Take away Price's top line and watch his % drop dramatically, replace Price with his backup and watch the team keep winning.

How many of those teams have had a cup in the last decade? One?

Point being, since goalies are so 'replaceable'...and how good they really are, according to your post...is how good a defense pairing or line they have in front of them, that it shouldn't matter WHERE they come from or how many pucks they can actually stop.

Those teams mentioned DON'T have Cups recently. Last four teams to win Cups were Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston and Pittsburgh....and look at some of the goalies involved there: Crawford, Quick, Thomas, and Fleury.

Anomalies will always rear their heads (Chicago comes to mind right away), but for the most part, those goalies are World Class netminders, and I am not really sure those teams win their Cups without the netminders playing lights out when they absolutely needed to.

But, following the premise you appear to be presenting to me, I guess the teams I mentioned won't be winning Cups anytime soon because they worry far too much about replaceable goaltending.

two of the teams you mentioned hadn't won since 1990 and 1989, so yeah, they're putting a lot of emphasis on net minders they shouldn't be only one of those teams has a cup win in the last decade of their "reliable and sustainable" goalies. It's clearly not the recipe for success as Price as proven the last few playoff runs he's had.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not good news for Montreal.  I would not be surprised if Columbus beats them tonight. Just on the emotional toll it may be taking on them and they are not near as good as many Western teams that have a ton more offense.  I hope they lose every night.  

I like your style.  :lol:

Archived