Bad year for Canadian Hockey fans

yave1964

That is CanadianWhat Is Maple Syrup? - Canadian Maple Syrup with an A not Canadien with an E.  I took a look through the standings today, if the playoffs began today, not a single team from North of the Border would so much as make the postseason. After a year on 2015 when the Flames surprised, the Jets excelled, the Habs made the conference finals, the Oilers were putrid but won the Mcdavid sweepstakes, the Canucks bounced back and the Senators led by the Hamburgler streaked into the postseason. Only the Leafs were bunglers and they managed to trade Kessel at the end of the season. Canada was in a tizzy. But this year:

Carey Carey Price lies on the ice in MontrealPrice went down and took the Canadiens with him.

The Leafs Toronto Maple Leafs Jokes and Funny Pictures | HabsNews.caare the Leafs.

TheBlu-ray.com forum's #1 Chloe Grace Moretz fan! Sens crashed back to Earth. So did theVancouver Canucks Sucks!!!! Canucks, Jets and03/12/12 Why You Think You Want Calgary to Rebuild Flames.

The Oilers Funny edmonton oilers pictures | Funny and jokes pictureshigh hopes again proved to be smoke and mirrors as they struggle to avoid the leagues worst record yet again.

Canada might not have a single team make the playoffs for the first time since 1969-70, back then only the Canadiens and Leafs were from the great white north with ten teams from what Canadians not so respectfully refer to as South America.

Hard to believe that Canada cannot keep up, I know these things are cyclical but after the promise of last season it is hard to believe this happened so quick.

I'm Canadian and enjoying my Flyers play inspired hockey while competing for a lottery pick. 

Your Wings are a whole FOUR points ahead of the free falling Montreal Canadiens. 

I think the Leafs are finally doing it right. The Jets and Oilers have some of the best young talent in the entire league. The Flames came back to reality and the Habs are without arguably the best goalie in the world. The Canucks?....I got nothin'. Ottawa just traded for Phaneuf! ...You know they're cup bound now. :biggrin:

As for Canada not keeping up...I get that you mean NHL-wise. Cause best on best....other than the U20s they just lost to Finland they currently have every other championship there is in hockey as a nation. 

19 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm Canadian and enjoying my Flyers play inspired hockey while competing for a lottery pick. 

Your Wings are a whole FOUR points ahead of the free falling Montreal Canadiens. 

I think the Leafs are finally doing it right. The Jets and Oilers have some of the best young talent in the entire league. The Flames came back to reality and the Habs are without arguably the best goalie in the world. The Canucks?....I got nothin'. Ottawa just traded for Phaneuf! ...You know they're cup bound now. :biggrin:

As for Canada not keeping up...I get that you mean NHL-wise. Cause best on best....other than the U20s they just lost to Finland they currently have every other championship there is in hockey as a nation. 

Just kind of a fluky thing this year, just pointing out that for the first time in 46 years we may not have a single Canadian team in the postseason. The photos are just chop bustin...

As for my Wings, I am far from satisfied with the product that they are putting on the ice. I am tired of calling the continuation fo the postseason streak only to lose in the first round a moral victory. The Wings are mediocre as currently assembled and changes need made. We have no glaring weaknesses but we also have no glaring strengths either......I heard it said once that fans can love a bad team the same as a good team but a mediocre team is hard to watch. I know the feeling right now.

29 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Just kind of a fluky thing this year, just pointing out that for the first time in 46 years we may not have a single Canadian team in the postseason. The photos are just chop bustin...

As for my Wings, I am far from satisfied with the product that they are putting on the ice. I am tired of calling the continuation fo the postseason streak only to lose in the first round a moral victory. The Wings are mediocre as currently assembled and changes need made. We have no glaring weaknesses but we also have no glaring strengths either......I heard it said once that fans can love a bad team the same as a good team but a mediocre team is hard to watch. I know the feeling right now.

Just be glad your not a leafs fan :P

40 minutes ago, JagerMeister said:

Just be glad your not a leafs fan :P

thank god!

In truth, I look over the rosters of the also rans every year and pick a team to root for that may improve this season, kind of under the radar. Last year it was the Flames and Bob Hartley did not let me down. This year I even went out on a limb before the year and said I could see the Hurricanes kind of hanging around the fringes of the postseason and falling just short, they started slowly but have heated up and are only a few points out of a playoff spot so whew! My credibility is not completely ruined. I may not watch every Cane game but I damn sure check their score first when the Wings are not on. I figured Florida to be good, but not THIS good.

But back to the subject at hand, I thought teams like the Canucks, flames, Senators and Jets had played over their heads last year and a couple of them would fall back but all of them? No chance. Edmonton is really improved but still miles to go. Toronto got Babs and subtracted dough boy and the captain who looks like he needs a laxative in every picture so it is a win of a season.

Montreal is the team that blows my mind. Before this 3 game win streak with Scrivens (!) annointed as god and Emperor of Quebec they were flailing wildly and looked hopelessly lost. Markov looks old, Pacioretty looks over his head as the Captain and Therien should be put on suicide watch. Nobody has answered the bell with Price out, the Habs have been saying they are more than just Carey price for years, they had a ten point division lead early and are probable to miss the playoffs. Petry was a poor signing (too much money) Galchenyuk is good but not as good as he was supposed to be, Plekanec every third game is amazing, every third game he mails it in. This team IS Carey Price pure and simple.I was almost ready to drink the Koolaid early in the year even.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

@yave1964

With you 100% on the mediocre thing. If my team isn't a legit contender then I'd rather see them suck and get that near sure thing pick.

Since back to back Stanley Cup finals in 08 and 09 the Wings havent made it past the second round, and for years now we are an early exit. Wings fans pat themselves on the back and say, well, at least we kept the streak of postseason appearances going. 24 and going to date, in the age of parity and salary cap it really is a nice kind of fun streak. Someone wakes Kenny Holland up and he nods and smiles and they congratulate him on making the playoffs and losing in the first round again.

I am sick of it. Who cares if we make the playoffs and get dismanted in the first round in six games? Maybe as a Wings fan i feel I would rather have the team miss the postseason and then take an honest hard look at where we are. Kronwall, my favorite player is getting old and it is hard for me to admit is good but not as good as the publicity he gets. Pavel and Z are on the wrong side of 30. Nyquist, Pulkinnen and tatar are all one dimensional, think Kessel lite. Our defense is boring and ordinary. Thank god for Larkin and Mrazek or we would be a lottery team. Okay maybe a slight exageration but only slight.

Mediocre and boring and ordinary is the worst thing a team can be. Much worse than bad. At least with bad there is nowhere to go but up, with an ordinary team, you never know.

@yave1964  

* This is by far the best blog on the subect I've seen.  Good stuff, lol.

I know teams need to build from within an organization, but I can't help wonder if the decreasing dollar in Canada has made it less attractive for the best Free Agents over the last say 5 years from choosing Canadian teams.  

10 hours ago, yave1964 said:

thank god!

In truth, I look over the rosters of the also rans every year and pick a team to root for that may improve this season, kind of under the radar. Last year it was the Flames and Bob Hartley did not let me down. This year I even went out on a limb before the year and said I could see the Hurricanes kind of hanging around the fringes of the postseason and falling just short, they started slowly but have heated up and are only a few points out of a playoff spot so whew! My credibility is not completely ruined. I may not watch every Cane game but I damn sure check their score first when the Wings are not on. I figured Florida to be good, but not THIS good.

But back to the subject at hand, I thought teams like the Canucks, flames, Senators and Jets had played over their heads last year and a couple of them would fall back but all of them? No chance. Edmonton is really improved but still miles to go. Toronto got Babs and subtracted dough boy and the captain who looks like he needs a laxative in every picture so it is a win of a season.

Montreal is the team that blows my mind. Before this 3 game win streak with Scrivens (!) annointed as god and Emperor of Quebec they were flailing wildly and looked hopelessly lost. Markov looks old, Pacioretty looks over his head as the Captain and Therien should be put on suicide watch. Nobody has answered the bell with Price out, the Habs have been saying they are more than just Carey price for years, they had a ten point division lead early and are probable to miss the playoffs. Petry was a poor signing (too much money) Galchenyuk is good but not as good as he was supposed to be, Plekanec every third game is amazing, every third game he mails it in. This team IS Carey Price pure and simple.I was almost ready to drink the Koolaid early in the year even.

Unfortunately, that's true the majority of the time. IMO he's one of the only goalies that absolutely carry their team, the other being Schneider..

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

@yave1964  

* This is by far the best blog on the subect I've seen.  Good stuff, lol.

I know teams need to build from within an organization, but I can't help wonder if the decreasing dollar in Canada has made it less attractive for the best Free Agents over the last say 5 years from choosing Canadian teams.  

*cough* Duplicate thread *cough* LOL.  :biggrin:

I think it's just a case of the Canadian teams feeling no pressure to win. They always sell out their buildings, so they have no incentive to win. For most franchises, prolonged losing = franchise death. In Canada, it has been proven that the only thing that can kill a franchise is a weak Canadian dollar combined with an overzealous NHL commissioner that anxiously waits to rip teams away and send them south. Otherwise, once you have a team here you can ice any lineup you want and fans will keep coming. 

I'm guessing CBC, SportsNet, and TSN won't experience any dip in viewership whatsoever if the playoffs have zero Canadian teams. 

19 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Since back to back Stanley Cup finals in 08 and 09 the Wings havent made it past the second round, and for years now we are an early exit. Wings fans pat themselves on the back and say, well, at least we kept the streak of postseason appearances going. 24 and going to date, in the age of parity and salary cap it really is a nice kind of fun streak. Someone wakes Kenny Holland up and he nods and smiles and they congratulate him on making the playoffs and losing in the first round again.

I am sick of it. Who cares if we make the playoffs and get dismanted in the first round in six games? Maybe as a Wings fan i feel I would rather have the team miss the postseason and then take an honest hard look at where we are. Kronwall, my favorite player is getting old and it is hard for me to admit is good but not as good as the publicity he gets. Pavel and Z are on the wrong side of 30. Nyquist, Pulkinnen and tatar are all one dimensional, think Kessel lite. Our defense is boring and ordinary. Thank god for Larkin and Mrazek or we would be a lottery team. Okay maybe a slight exageration but only slight.

Mediocre and boring and ordinary is the worst thing a team can be. Much worse than bad. At least with bad there is nowhere to go but up, with an ordinary team, you never know.

I think you can also tell how long some people have been Flyer fans by how they want the team to do.

I'm sick of seeing them make the playoffs and win a round or two. After decades of it, it just doesn't do anything for me. Heck, I'm sick of seeing them lose in the finals. I'd prefer to see more bluechip prospects added and build a real contender...not a playoff contender, but a cup contender.

45 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I think you can also tell how long some people have been Flyer fans by how they want the team to do.

I'm sick of seeing them make the playoffs and win a round or two. After decades of it, it just doesn't do anything for me. Heck, I'm sick of seeing them lose in the finals. I'd prefer to see more bluechip prospects added and build a real contender...not a playoff contender, but a cup contender.

Yep, Wings 3 game winning streak puts distance between them and the pack but does NOTHING to really solve problems. First round, Tampa in al likelihood and on the golf course by mid- April with Ken Holland thinking he did a good job. They have had Larkin and Mrazek established as solid players but they are no further along than the end of the season.

Archived