So We Added Phaneuf...

ScottM

ottawa-senators-defenseman-dion-phaneuf-

I haven't really been able to keep up with much of anything but getting quick score updates in the last few days, so you can imagine my surprise when I found out that we traded for Dion Phaneuf. I've been pretty critical of Phaneuf, and I don't have any intentions of backing down from what I said, so this will probably be a surprise: I'm happy with this move.

There are a couple of reasons that I say that. First, while I still really don't view Phaneuf as a true top pairing d-man, He's a definite step up for the Senators blue line. Methot did an admirable job filling that hole, but he's more of a second pair guy, truth be told, and aside from him and (obviously) Karlsson, I think we had a bunch of third pair guys (some are a stretch there). By comparison, Phaneuf looks like a superstar.

Secondly, I'm pretty happy with some of what we unloaded. I've not been a fan of Michalek's play for the last couple of years, and I'm not really sure we would have any improvement from him in Ottawa. I think a change of scenery was probably best for both parties. Jared Cowen was one of those defensemen that seemed like a stretch 5-6 guy, and I've felt like he's been a detriment for significant parts of the season. Colin Greening... well, I hate to put it this way, but he's been dead weight raking in 2.7 million per year. It's about time we dealt him.

So, much to the surprise of many here, I'm sure, I'm quite happy with this deal. Here's hoping a Karlsson-Phaneuf pairing gels nicely and helps us with a playoff push.

I agree with your assessment @ScottM .... just the fact alone that Phaneuf will NO longer have to be THE man (Karlsson is that in Ottawa), will help ease the pressure for him and simply allow him to do what he does on the ice: be a big, menacing hitting defenseman, with a pinch of offense....albeit, one subject to a brain cramp on more occasions than coaches and fans would probably like.

At the same time, Phaneuf's presence on the team helps deflect some attention away from Erik Karlsson.

Karlsson is still the most dangerous blueliner with regards to offense on the team (duh), but because Phaneuf does possess some offensive skill, teams will now have to assign some of their more responsible defenseman to him, leaving Karlsson with a few more holes in opponent's coverage to exploit on more occasions.

Finally, getting out of the 'fishbowl' Toronto market and into the relatively 'quieter' Ottawa market should do Phaneuf some good.

I know the Sens fans love their hockey and coverage of the sport is pretty good there too.....but I don't believe Ottawa has the insanity that usually accompanies Leafs Nation coverage.

Not a bad deal for the Sens. Fans just best hope Phaneuf is taking this as an opportunity to just focus on hockey and that he keeps his blunders to a minimum.

Phaneuf has achieved the rare Canadian Triple Crown*:  He has played his entire NHL career on Canadian based teams, three of them now.  

Quick, name the last player to accomplish such a feat! :hyper:

* Don't mind me, I completely made up/borrowed that term from horse racing. 

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I still maintain that Dion Phaneuf's greatest career accomplishment is this:

And if that doesn't put a smile on your face every day, I'm not sure what will.  :wub[1]:

ec.jpg

Damn, Phaneuf ended up marrying her. I thought the relationship ended for some inexplicable reason. But I will always remember this when anyone mentions Phaneuf's personal life

Also, Rachel Hunter is a beautiful woman as well...and 16 years older than Phaneuf

Damn, Phaneuf must be a rather endearing individual with the women he's been with. Although it sure as hell is difficult to envision :lol:

rachel_hunter_13.jpg

Man, these threads can get off topic soooo fast!

I think this was a good deal for both teams. It was obviously a salary dump for the Leafs, but if you're wondering who 'won' the trade from a hockey perspective, it was Ottawa IMHO. They at least got a hockey player out of it. One who went straight to their roster and played more than 20 minutes in his first game. The Leafs got a little potential but just maybe, not for sure. I HATE the cap.

I'd like to back to the simpler times when trades were always hockey trades. If you got the best player, you won. I don't care about money - only my team.....

Sucks to be me...;)

8 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

Also, Rachel Hunter is a beautiful woman as well...and 16 years older than Phaneuf

Damn, Phaneuf must be a rather endearing individual with the women he's been with. Although it sure as hell is difficult to envision :lol:

Holy smokes!!!  :wub[1]:

One of the perks of being a pro athlete is the women you attract. :cool[1]:

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

Man, these threads can get off topic soooo fast!

I think this was a good deal for both teams. It was obviously a salary dump for the Leafs, but if you're wondering who 'won' the trade from a hockey perspective, it was Ottawa IMHO. They at least got a hockey player out of it. One who went straight to their roster and played more than 20 minutes in his first game. The Leafs got a little potential but just maybe, not for sure. I HATE the cap.

I'd like to back to the simpler times when trades were always hockey trades. If you got the best player, you won. I don't care about money - only my team.....

Sucks to be me...;)

Prior to the salary cap, not only would this trade never happen, but the Leafs would have gone out and signed another defenceman like Phaneuf for even more money. :o

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

@JagerMeister

Why would you bring up Avery....the guy has zero class and prefers men.

Idk, I just thought of his comments when conversing about Phaneuf's girlfriends. Although completely irrelevant, how the hell is his sexual preference relevant either...

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Well Phaneuf seems to be the spark the Sens needed for their playoff push.....  :ph34r:

The very real possibility now exists that the Leafs will finish higher in the standings than the Senators. That would be awkward. :unsure[1]:

Its funny because I have seen Sens fans actually say that almost word for word, and they were completely serious.

Archived