Build by Draft

flyer4ever

Just sitting about still rehabbing after knee scope. I went back to 2004 entry draft and looked at players picked 9 to 14.  There is one guy who MIGHT get in the Hall of fame, Anze Kopitar drafted in 2005. There were 4 others who you could consider a 1 or 2d-man or a top line forward. Ryan Mcdonough, Tyler Myers, Cam Fowler and Filip Forsberg.  Currently the Flyers sit 14 in the draft. Get used to being mediocre, this method of Hextalls for building a cup contender might take a while. 

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

Just sitting about still rehabbing after knee scope. I went back to 2004 entry draft and looked at players picked 9 to 14.  There is one guy who MIGHT get in the Hall of fame, Anze Kopitar drafted in 2005. There were 4 others who you could consider a 1 or 2d-man or a top line forward. Ryan Mcdonough, Tyler Myers, Cam Fowler and Filip Forsberg.  Currently the Flyers sit 14 in the draft. Get used to being mediocre, this method of Hextalls for building a cup contender might take a while. 

Well, the Flyers have already committed themselves to Giroux/Voracek for the long term, have Wayne Simmonds signed for three more seasons, Sean Couturier for six and Brayden Schenn up as an RFA this offseason. That's five guys and there's one "big hole" you'd be looking to fill in the top six forward corps and that's not something that must come from the draft. The team finally has cap space to use and assets to exchange if a solid option at top line LW comes up.

On the defensive side of the roster, they already have a boatload of prized draft prospects in the system and their potential ROY candidate (Gotstobehere) was a third rounder. Moreover, the only long-term signing they have to deal with at the moment is MacDud:56cd9dc70e2e2_smallTM:.

As for the "method" being taken by Hextall, the Flyers have chased the dragon for the past 15 years and have zero (0) Cups to show for it. In fact, they have zero (0) Cups in the past forty years. In fact, they have three ECFs appearances and a Cup Final over the past 15 years.

On the flip side, they've been bounced in the first round five times and missed the playoffs as many times as they made the ECFs.

Rightnow, the team is competing for an actual playoff spot this season and is playing IMO a better brand of hockey than we've seen for the past 3-4 years. They have cap space, promising young players and a GM with a plan that doesn't seem to involve turning over the roster three times in five years.

I don't consider that "mediocre" - I consider that "promising".

Let's look at some of the biggest stars in the league:

Shea Weber - 49th

Jonathan Quick - 72nd

Claude Giroux - 22nd

PK Subban - 43rd

Jamie Benn - 129th

Erik Karlsson - 15th

Roman Josi - 38th

Braden Holtby - 93rd

Vladimir Tarasenko - 16th

Evgeny Kuznetsov - 26th

Justin Faulk - 37th

Johnny Gaudreau - 104th

Zach Parise - 17th

Ryan Getzlaf - 19th

Corey Perry - 28th

Loui Eriksson - 33rd

Patrice Bergeron - 45th

Henrik Lundqvist - 205th

Hall of famers? Probably a few in there. Solid scouting and drafting, as well as keeping draft picks in order to make these selections is important.

11 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

I hope you are both right. Just killing time.

I understand. I just come from a perspective of 30+ years of "killing me" and am willing to try "another way."

:hyper:

2 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

.....because the Holmgren method certainly worked. Fact is, building a Stanley Cup caliber club is NOT an easy task. Smart drafting, smart trading and smart free agent signings are a must. As well, good health certainly goes a long way. Add in the salary cap and fiscal management is also paramount in building a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup. Hextall is doing the right thing - you build your core through the draft. You compliment your core by trading and signing free agents. Holmgren had it all backwards - he built the core through trades and free agents and complimented it by drafting. While I was upset the Flyers didn't clear more space for the future today, it's easy to see what Hextall is doing and how he's very methodical in building things. The prospect depth in Philadelphia has never been deeper. He's drastically improved the financial structure of the club and there's going to be open positions for competition. Add in that the Flyers have five picks in the first three rounds and there's even more depth that's going to be added to the pipeline. That's how you build a club now a days. 

Archived