Flyers Magic Number game

Poulin20

Yeah...what was the deal with the puck and our sticks last night! Like oil and vinegar!

Seems like every time we tried to keep a puck in the zone, or accept a pass or whatever the puck seemed to be made of silly puddy! I was going CRAZY!

(Unfortuntely I tortured myself thinking the flyers were gonna get some late game luck and come back to win in OT.....now I'm tired at work.

17 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

(Unfortuntely I tortured myself thinking the flyers were gonna get some late game luck and come back to win in OT.....now I'm tired at work.

It was when I was sitting in my chair calling the passes the Flyers were making next on the power play (and getting 90% of them right) that I kinda knew it wasn't gonna go their way.

They rarely seem to get the other team off balance when they have the man advantage.

And if me, sitting at home, knows what they are gonna do next I gotta imagine that the opposing coaches and players do, too.

Sometimes it works because a shot gets through oand goes in or there's a scrum in front and Simmonds pounds it home.

But it's damned predictable and has been for too too long now.

Just now, radoran said:

They rarely seem to get the other team off balance when they have the man advantage.

Shot blocking has gotten too good. Even the highly skilled Euros are doing it.

So, IMHO there are two keys to a dynamic PP these days: 1) lots of movement (not the puck, players): it opens up new angles, causes opponents to switch assignments (and therefore potential mistakes), and creates pick opportunities; 2) quick shots at unpredictable times and/or from unconventional angles. Together, they can cause chaos which is the only way to break down a good, disciplined PK.

27 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

So, IMHO there are two keys to a dynamic PP these days: 1) lots of movement (not the puck, players): it opens up new angles, causes opponents to switch assignments (and therefore potential mistakes), and creates pick opportunities; 2) quick shots at unpredictable times and/or from unconventional angles. Together, they can cause chaos which is the only way to break down a good, disciplined PK.

This is it exactly. Giroux goes to the side boards. Stands there. Simmonds goes down low. Stays there. Schenn on opposite side from Giroux. Stays there. Voracek and Ghost on the points.

And there you have it. Now, cycle the puck around. When it gets to either Ghost or Giroux look for the shot (Schenn would then "crash the net" a bit).

Occasionally Voracek moves in slightly from the point and shoots and/or passes back to Ghost for a shot. Or they telegraph a "one timer" (giving the goalie ample opportunity to set for it).

They all go to assigned places and more or less stay there.

All the while the PK box is sitting there waiting for any of their predictable shot attempts to be taken.

Now, I know the PP has been somewhat successful (it's where the VeeGees:56cd9dc70e2e2_smallTM: get a good portion of their points). But the Flyers are 16th in PP% and only three playoff teams are below them (NYI (17th), FLA (21) and TBL (26)).

The major difference is that while the Flyers get 24.6% of their goals on the PP, the Islanders get 18.3%, the Panthers 20.2% and the Lightning 19.9%.

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

This is it exactly. Giroux goes to the side boards. Stands there. Simmonds goes down low. Stays there. Schenn on opposite side from Giroux. Stays there. Voracek and Ghost on the points.

And there you have it. Now, cycle the puck around. When it gets to either Ghost or Giroux look for the shot (Schenn would then "crash the net" a bit).

Occasionally Voracek moves in slightly from the point and shoots and/or passes back to Ghost for a shot. Or they telegraph a "one timer" (giving the goalie ample opportunity to set for it).

They all go to assigned places and more or less stay there.

All the while the PK box is sitting there waiting for any of their predictable shot attempts to be taken.

Now, I know the PP has been somewhat successful (it's where the VeeGees:56cd9dc70e2e2_smallTM: get a good portion of their points). But the Flyers are 16th in PP% and only three playoff teams are below them (NYI (17th), FLA (21) and TBL (26)).

The major difference is that while the Flyers get 24.6% of their goals on the PP, the Islanders get 18.3%, the Panthers 20.2% and the Lightning 19.9%.

It's certainly not a good time for the PP to sputter and look stale. Was it you that said yesterday that they hate Jake on the point on the PP? I think I do as well. I'm not sure who to replace with though. I might try Schenn there. 

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

That is what is wrong not enough euros.

And they Swede and Finnless.....

....and zero long snappers!!!

With tonight's horrible loss to the Leafs.....:BrownBag: Thanks to the Buttman loser point....

The Flyers magic number now = Tom Bladon and Barry Ashbee

Still though the Playoff hopes took a huge hit tonight thanks to the Bruins winning....Our boys look like they may be spent. :sleep:

So if the Sens and Rangers do their job and Flyers earn two today however the Flyers can clinch a playoff spot before i get hime from work today at 7!!!!

Please let it be so!!!!

Then i'd play Neuvy for the Isles game rest Mase up.....a HUGE TASK though....

13 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

Wow Ashbee to Crossman to Howe to Bernie to the Playoffs!!! Thanks Sens and Pens for helping us out today!!!

Fleeced the Broons twice......1st for a 3rd round pick for Rinaldo then stole their playoff spot...find whomever tainted Rask's pre game meal (my money was it was Rux) and give them free playoff tickets!!!!!:D

Archived