Flyers Magic Number game

Poulin20

Thanks to Boston blowing a point to the Canes last night the Flyer magic number now = 

Braydon Coburn, Kevin Haller, or even Kerry Huffman

Catch my drift?  Feel free to join in  especially as the number hopefully decreases!

@Poulin20

Was thinking of posting a similar post and you beat me to it.  Per Sam Carchidi the Flyers current magic # is 5.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-magic-number-for-playoff-berth-is-5-points.html

DETROIT -- The Flyers were idle Tuesday, but their playoff quest started to come into focus because of other results from the night.

The Islanders took a major step toward clinching the top wild-card spot (at the least) with a 4-3 overtime win in Washington, while Boston didn't help itself much by dropping a 2-1 shootout to visiting Carolina.

The Flyers, Boston and Detroit all have 91 points. The Flyers have four games left, Detroit has three, and Boston has two.

Detroit, which hosts the Flyers in a huge game Wednesday, is technically third in the Atlantic Division because it has played fewer games than division-partner Boston.

The Flyers and Bruins are tied for the final wild-card spot, though Philadelphia is considered the leader because it has two games in hand.

Should the Flyers and Boston finish with the same number of points, the Bruins have the first two tie-breaker advantages -- regulation and OT wins is first, and the season series, which excludes the first of two home games in an NHL setup that needs to be revisited, is second. The Bruins can finish with a maximum of 95 points.

The Flyers' magic number to clinch a playoff spot over Boston is five points. The Flyers, for instance, could go 2-1-1 in their final four games (at Detroit, Toronto, Pittsburgh, at the Isles) and they are in the playoffs -- regardless of what Boston does.

The Flyers magic number would drop every time the Bruins fail to get a win.

The Bruins finish with home games against the Red Wings and Ottawa.

If Detroit beats the Flyers in regulation Wednesday, it would jump two points ahead of them and have a 39-36 edge in ROW (regulation and OT wins). That would mean the Flyers would probably have to finish at least one point ahead of the Red Wings to beat them out because, in all likelihood, they would lose if they were tied and it was broken by the tie-breaker.

Bottom line: The Flyers can make their playoff quest a lot easier if they beat the Red Wings at ear-splitting Joe Louis Arena on Wednesday.

If the Flyers pick up at least a point Wednesday, there's a CHANCE they could clinch a playoff spot as early as Thursday against Toronto at the Wells Fargo Center.

Best-case for the Flyers: If they win in regulation Wednesday AND win on Thursday, they would clinch a playoff berth because they would have 95 points and Thursday's Boston-Detroit loser would only be able to accumulate 94.

One more thing: With the Islanders and Rangers winning their respective games Tuesday, it almost assures the Flyers won't be able to secure the first wild-card spot.

The second wild-card team gets to face best-in-the-NHL Washington, which blew a 3-1 lead to the Islanders on Tuesday

19 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Thanks to Boston blowing a point to the Canes last night the Flyer magic number now = 

Catch my drift?  Feel free to join in  especially as the number hopefully decreases!

What no love for Frank Bathe, lol

Hopefully after tonight we will be talking Behn Wilson and Doug Cossman!

2 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

I guess Izzy wasn't Goodenough to be included in the list, eh?

LOL i thought about including him in my example post but I wanted to leave some for you guys to name...so good call on Larry er um Izzy

4 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

So if my brain is working right if the Wings win versus the Bruins tomorrow night regardless of tonight they are in???

Correct???

No. If the Flyers win tonight and tomorrow, AND the Wings win tomorrow, the Flyers are in. If the Flyers lose out, they would miss, even if Boston doesn't win against Ottawa since Boston owns the first two tiebreakers.

Aside from the numbers game, tonight's game is really a must win game if the Flyers truly want to control their own destiny.  4 games left, 8 possible points, they need 5 of them.  It's a must win game in my opinion because I don't see them beating Pittsburgh.  Not the way the Pens are playing right now  The way Pittsburgh is playing right now I don't see the Flyers beating them.  The Pens are 15-1 in their last 16 and last night they were down 3-0 to Ottawa 25 mins into the game and won 5-4.  

Losing tonight with the assumption they would lose again to Pittsburgh would mean they need help to get in.  Worst case scenario would be an OT/SO loss to Detroit or Pittsburgh.

Either way, tonights game is the biggest of the year.  Detroit has a little more to play for, and they will be ready in front of their home crowd.  

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

No. If the Flyers win tonight and tomorrow, AND the Wings win tomorrow, the Flyers are in. If the Flyers lose out, they would miss, even if Boston doesn't win against Ottawa since Boston owns the first two tiebreakers.

I'm sorry i guess i didn't word that right. I was talking about the Wings as long as they beat the Bruins tomorrow night they are in (they meaning the Wings) regardless of tonight.

After thinking about this on the way to work. FC and i and others pretty much all season have been going back n forth on what is best for the team...finish low outside for a better draft pick or make the playoffs and get these kids some playoff experience i chose the latter he chose he the draft picks. And i will say i think we both had good points for each.

But what i guess i didn't think about since we are discusing teaching these kids a lesson what about this lessone which i hadn't considered:

Which would serve them best? To make the playoffs despite many many times not playing well in games for many different reasons like to many penalties or not playing for 60 minutes or play down to the competition or whatever may be the case and let them still get in. 2hich to me wouldn't change their regular season play much causing some of them to think hey we can have incosistent games and still get in despite it.

Or have them missed the playoffs by as little as a.point and have that stick in their crawl all offseason to use and motivate them for next year?

It is a hard one....

That OTL vs Columbus is the killer here.  The Flyers must finish with more points than Boston or Detroit because they will lose the tiebreaker with both.

Remaining Games:

Boston : Detroit, Ottawa

Detroit : @Boston @Rangers

Flyers : Toronto, Pittsburgh, @Islanders

Red Wings win both & beat Boston in regulation, Flyers need 3 of 6 points to make playoffs

Red Wings win both & beat Boston in OT, Flyers need 4 of 6 points.

Boston wins both, Flyers need 5 of 6 points.

Boston loses both, Flyers need 1 point

24 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

That OTL vs Columbus is the killer here.  The Flyers must finish with more points than Boston or Detroit because they will lose the tiebreaker with both.

Remaining Games:

Boston : Detroit, Ottawa

Detroit : @Boston @Rangers

Flyers : Toronto, Pittsburgh, @Islanders

Red Wings win both & beat Boston in regulation, Flyers need 3 of 6 points to make playoffs

Red Wings win both & beat Boston in OT, Flyers need 4 of 6 points.

Boston wins both, Flyers need 5 of 6 points.

Boston loses both, Flyers need 1 point

It's not just that one loss you can look back to several times through out the season and say these points would have helped. But i get what you're saying.

They won only 3 shootouts this year while losing i think 8 or more. Those 8 points could of helped or just say half those points could of helped.

3 hours ago, Samifan said:

if the Flyers cannot easily dispatch of the Toronto Marlies tonight at home then they do not deserve a playoff spot. 

Well said Samifan, if the Flyers don't deserve to make the playoffs if they can't beat the stinkin Leafs.

2 hours ago, TedZep said:

@OccamsRazor, I think Eleven24's point was that it was the refs that stole a point by blowing that extremely obvious puck deflected above the crossbar.  The ref waived it off initially!

Yeah i can't comment on it i didn't see it but i know they sure let a pretty bad hooking on Ghost slide by #17 on that 1st score.

Instead of the Flyers getting a 2 minute PP they let the hook go which is what caused Ghost's errant pass ending up on net.

I had enough so i just cut it off. It wasn't just that call but the sloppy play and he puck hopping over sticks i could tell it wasn't there night why waste my time and just get pissed. Go do something else is what i say with my 2 hours.

Archived