Datsyuk will retire after Playoffs

pilldoc

Just now, B21 said:

I think he (PD) did.  Like I said - that's Holland taking the high road. Holland could easily be saying "Pavel knew the rule, knew he was headed to the KHL in 1-2 years, didn't tell us and asked for a 3+ year deal anyway."

Well, right - and that's my point. If he didn't know then he's an idiot. And his agent is an idiot.

Which means, of course, that they did know.

Lost some respect for Datsyuk here. He didn't need to force the team to sign him to that contract. But he did.

And - high road or no - it's a stupid thing for Holland to say.

Yeah, shame he screwed his former team over like that. He was a beloved fan favorite with 3 consecutive Selke's and 3 more 3rd place finishes, won 2 cups with the team.

His number was destined for the rafters, but that may be a derailed train now.

Well, I'm not as bitter as @yave1964 and @Old School Hockey are.

For the record, I don't like this, and I agree that a deal should be a deal.

HOWEVER, Pav could have REALLY screwed the Wings had he left after the first year of his contract rather than playing an additional year. It appears that Holland negotiated to try to make the best of a lousy situation, and I think he did so admirably. And although the argument that Datsyuk should not have signed another contract if he wanted to go home is a valid one, it also appears that he really didn't know what he wanted, and Holland is right that if he had countered with a one year deal that his agent would have said, "See ya!" And can you imagine what the press would have done with THAT!

I would absolutely have. A problem with Pav playing in the KHL this next season, except for the fact that it seems Holland negotiated this so that the Red Wings would allow him to play if he played the additional year, which he did. You don't have to like it. I don't like it either, but I understand it. It is the best way to settle a no-win situation. Once that contract was signed, the no-win was invitable. The ONLY way it could really have worked was IF Datsyuk had KNOWN for dang sure he wanted to go home, and signed a 1-2 year deal. But he didn't know.

It sucks that the market will probably not allow us to move the contract without giving up too much for doing so, so we will eat the year and hopefully not lose anyone we would want to keep because of it. This does make keeping Helm look difficult to me, but I already thought that would be difficult anyway after the Abdelkader deal.

in the end, though I don't like it, I can't fault him for his reason for leaving--his teenage daughter needing him to be dad. Again, I don't have to like it, but I do respect it. Family comes first, and since the RW's negotiated the deal to let him play in the KHL, I will have minimal to no hard feelings about it. Won't do me any good to harbor any ill will anyway.

Thanks for all the years of great hockey, Pav.

Moving on...

9 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

Well, I'm not as bitter as @yave1964 and @Old School Hockey are.

For the record, I don't like this, and I agree that a deal should be a deal.

HOWEVER, Pav could have REALLY screwed the Wings had he left after the first year of his contract rather than playing an additional year. It appears that Holland negotiated to try to make the best of a lousy situation, and I think he did so admirably. And although the argument that Datsyuk should not have signed another contract if he wanted to go home is a valid one, it also appears that he really didn't know what he wanted, and Holland is right that if he had countered with a one year deal that his agent would have said, "See ya!" And can you imagine what the press would have done with THAT!

I would absolutely have. A problem with Pav playing in the KHL this next season, except for the fact that it seems Holland negotiated this so that the Red Wings would allow him to play if he played the additional year, which he did. You don't have to like it. I don't like it either, but I understand it. It is the best way to settle a no-win situation. Once that contract was signed, the no-win was invitable. The ONLY way it could really have worked was IF Datsyuk had KNOWN for dang sure he wanted to go home, and signed a 1-2 year deal. But he didn't know.

It sucks that the market will probably not allow us to move the contract without giving up too much for doing so, so we will eat the year and hopefully not lose anyone we would want to keep because of it. This does make keeping Helm look difficult to me, but I already thought that would be difficult anyway after the Abdelkader deal.

in the end, though I don't like it, I can't fault him for his reason for leaving--his teenage daughter needing him to be dad. Again, I don't have to like it, but I do respect it. Family comes first, and since the RW's negotiated the deal to let him play in the KHL, I will have minimal to no hard feelings about it. Won't do me any good to harbor any ill will anyway.

Thanks for all the years of great hockey, Pav.

Moving on...

@SpikeDDS

Pasha could not have left after the 2014-15 season as the no poaching agreement between the Khl and NHL was still in effect, so thanking Datsyuk for not leaving after year one of a three year deal is disingenuous, he could not have played in Russia last year anyway. Holland praising him for staying was taking the high road but was a joke.

Like you said, moving on.....

So, here is a hypothetical....

If in order to sign Stamkos we need to move Datsyuk's contract, and in order to move Datsyuk's contract it costs a first rounder or a top tier prospect such as Mantha, if you are stone cold certain that doing so would net you Stamkos, do you do it? I say absolutely. No questions asked.

On 6/21/2016 at 9:39 AM, yave1964 said:

A good thing he didn't need to sacrifice any $$$$$ to play for his family.  :DohSmiley:

@yave1964 @Old School Hockey @WingNut722

Just asking the the question I hadn't thought of until today:

How much--if at all--do we think that the rumors of the Swedish Mafia and Blashill possibly losing the room may have contributed to Datsyuk's decision to bolt? I've heard and read a bunch of articles on Datsyuk leaving, but I never once heard or read anyone either asking Pav that question or even broaching the subject with respect to his leaving.

My tendency is to overthink things, so my answer is that I'm probably way overthinking that, and that it probably had little to no part of it. But at the same time, I can't turn that part of my brain off that is mulling that over.

Hmmmm.

14 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

@yave1964 @Old School Hockey @WingNut722

Just asking the the question I hadn't thought of until today:

How much--if at all--do we think that the rumors of the Swedish Mafia and Blashill possibly losing the room may have contributed to Datsyuk's decision to bolt? I've heard and read a bunch of articles on Datsyuk leaving, but I never once heard or read anyone either asking Pav that question or even broaching the subject with respect to his leaving.

My tendency is to overthink things, so my answer is that I'm probably way overthinking that, and that it probably had little to no part of it. But at the same time, I can't turn that part of my brain off that is mulling that over.

Hmmmm.

While the things you mentioned are possible, I'm thinking not very likely.  Blashill had REALLY good people around him last year, so I don't he lost anyone (except for Howard).  I really think the family back home, the injuries and the ability to play a shorter season in the home land push Pav home.

17 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I think this was all pavel.

Wait, I wasn't implying that the Mafia wanted him gone so he is gone. If that's how this got translated, my apologies.

I'm suggesting that that this IS all Pavel, but wondering if a PART of his reasoning is that he can see that Blash has lost the room and he knows that because of that, next season will be a loser--well, at least a Red Wing loser, with all apologies to Leafs and Oilers fans.

But based upon the response I'm getting, it appears I AM overthinking this, which I suspected that I was.

Archived