Worst HHOF playoff performer?

JagerMeister

Who are the worst playoff performers of all time? Ofc, they have to be HHOF players or potential HHOF players in the future...

I'll throw a few names out there.

Teemu Selanne

One of my favourite players of all time, but he has an astonishingly substandard, or even downright atrocious playoff record for someone of his calibre.

A playoff resume of 88 points in 130 games is worse then many players that will never be inducted into the HHOF. In addition to that, he has never eclipsed 20 points.

Joe Thornton

An indisputable HHOFer, and an indisputable playoff choker....

100 points in 130 games, and has never eclipsed a ppg during a postseason. Perhaps the label of playoff choker is unjust, but he has not performed to the level he has during the regular season. While not as abysmal as Selanne, it's nothing exceptional either.

Marcel Dionne

For someone who is renowned as one of the best offensive producers in history, with a PPG that is eclipsed by only Gretzky, Lemieux and Howe among inactives. ( Ik Bossy had a higher ppg, but I discount him because of him never playing past his prime, call that stupid if you will...) A below PPG career in postseason is incredibly disappointing to say the least, and most of his postseason appearances where during his prime. So he doesn't have as much excuses as the other two mentioned.

With Dionne you have to take into account the godawful teams he played on. He put up great numbers in the regular season...he also lead those crappy teams in points in postseason...at least during his "prime" years. You can't blame him for being on a lousy team where he'd be the sole focus to shutting them down.

15 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

@WordsOfWisdom Exactly. But these players were among the best point producers during their prime, and yet they never exceeded a ppg in the playoffs.

That's because the rules change in the playoffs. You're allowed to hook, hold, trip, impale, gouge, clip, strangle, and kidnap opposing players. That's why the scoring always went down in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

It would be interesting to see a year by year league average of regular season PPG vs playoff PPG.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2016 at 9:10 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

That's because the rules change in the playoffs. You're allowed to hook, hold, trip, impale, gouge, clip, strangle, and kidnap opposing players. That's why the scoring always went down in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

In exceptional circumstances, I believe even murder is allowed.

M.A. Fleury post cup had an awful run. Simply dreadful. He may be a HOFer by the time he is done based off his career starting at such a young age his final numbers will be insane.

Pavel Datsyuk, the elephant in the room with him is he has 113 points in 157 career games, and is a point a game player in the regular season. Love him to death but he has been a mild disappointment in the second season.

The Sedin sisters are a combined 207 games and only 146 points. If you take their solid run in 2010-11 out, they are even worse, 157 games, 100 points. Very pedestrain.

Lundqvist is most certainly not the same player in the second season as he is in the first. He has laid some real stinkers on us.

All these folk are current players but most will be inducted some day, not trying to hijack the thread, just pointing out some of the current greats who are not so great come the postseason.

Some of my favorite candidates of the currently enshrined would be:

I LOVED Brendan Shanahan but he was ordinary in the postseason.

Jethro Gillies put up very ordinary numbers in the postseason.

Joe Mullen was a point a game player who scored only 106 points in 143 games. He did however have two brilliant runs but without them he was a non entity.

For my money, I may go with Tony Washington Capitals v Chicago Blackhawks Esposito. The HOFer goalie who for his career was a first or second team all star 5 times and won 3 Vezinas and averaged a shutout just under once every five starts had a postseason goals against of 3.07 with only 6 shutouts in 99 starts. He was strong early in his career but his last 9 years he went 11-30 with a goals against approaching 4. Those old enough to remember know that everything thrown at MAF was said about Tony back in the day.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Those old enough to remember know that everything thrown at MAF was said about Tony back in the day.

I'm not old enough to remember, but my gut says that when those not old enough to remember either, but understand the game, look back, Tony O will look a lot better.

That's just my two cents though. I've never been a fan of Fleury.

On 4/17/2016 at 7:10 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

It would be interesting to see a year by year league average of regular season PPG vs playoff PPG.  :)

I understand your production should decline in the postseason. But for players such as Joe Thornton and Teemu Selanne, they are among the best point producers of their generation. And their decrease in production was definitely more noticeable. Non hall of fame players have better production in the postseason than them.

@yave1964 Wasnt datsyuk's substandard playoff stats primarily becayse of the first half of his career? That, and even then he still provided adequate defense. 

As for the Sedins...Canucks have always been a mainly one line production team but as much as I admire them.  Even I have to concede to their dissapointing postseason stats. I mean, Kovalev was infamous for not giving 100 in regular season and he has a Better postseason record...

Archived