Game 3 of the Rangers series!

notfondajane

OK! This is game 3! Which in my opinion, is pivotal! Lose it and the rest of the series is a formality! Win it there is a chance! Could Sullivan make the proper adjustments? Will he make them? I believe he will! Zatkoff has to keep better eye con tact with the puck and have better movement side to side on passes! Hopefully the dmen will help in intercepting passes and keeping the Rangers shot to a minimum, a very low minimum!

Sigh, still no word on Fleury.  If we have to have Zatkoff in goal all series, this is going to be a BIG disappointment.   At this point even if Fleury or Murray come back, after a break, they still aren't going to be at the top of their games

5 hours ago, nossagog said:

Sigh, still no word on Fleury.  If we have to have Zatkoff in goal all series, this is going to be a BIG disappointment.   At this point even if Fleury or Murray come back, after a break, they still aren't going to be at the top of their games

Sullivan has officially declared Fleury out but still "day to day".  He did say Murray was an option.  Not sure if that is legit or if he is just giving the Rangers something to think about.

I'm not optimistic.I know I definitely would have waited on getting Malkin back in the line-up. They were doing fine without him.  The only reason to rush him back would have been if they were desperate which they weren't up 1-0.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Sullivan has officially declared Fleury out but still "day to day".  He did say Murray was an option.  Not sure if that is legit or if he is just giving the Rangers something to think about.

I'm not optimistic.I know I definitely would have waited on getting Malkin back in the line-up. They were doing fine without him.  The only reason to rush him back would have been if they were desperate which they weren't up 1-0.

Didn't have a problem getting Malkin in there to get the kinks out. But putting Rusty in there was another thing, didn't see what that gained with the way everyone else was playing. 

14 hours ago, nossagog said:

I'm not worried about Fleury being in net. To be honest, the Pens are better off without him!

Just now, notfondajane said:

Murray played well! Defense limited the blue shirts to 17 shots! Which made his job easy_ I'm hoping this trend continues.

I really see this series going to Game 7. It is going to be a really exciting series.

3 minutes ago, Hose Head said:

I really see this series going to Game 7. It is going to be a really exciting series.

I think if the Pens play like tonight, and goaltenders play well Pens may take this in 5! 6 at worst.

Hmmm, interesting. The Penguins made hockey history last night. First time ever 2 different goalies won their playoff debut's in the same series. Kinda cool.

I know this is a playoff thread, but I was just tossing around the possible implications an expansion draft would have for the Pens. They *really* hit you hard when you protect 2 goalies. I believe that Matt Murray is the future in net for the Pens....but how do you not protect Fleury, a guy who wears a Cup ring from not to long ago. They will have some gut wrenching decisions to make. I really like Murray's poise and quickness. I honestly believe he will be their goalie for the next decade....and at this time last year, I really thought Tristan Jerry had the inside track.....things have changed.

24 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Hmmm, interesting. The Penguins made hockey history last night. First time ever 2 different goalies won their playoff debut's in the same series. Kinda cool.

I know this is a playoff thread, but I was just tossing around the possible implications an expansion draft would have for the Pens. They *really* hit you hard when you protect 2 goalies. I believe that Matt Murray is the future in net for the Pens....but how do you not protect Fleury, a guy who wears a Cup ring from not to long ago. They will have some gut wrenching decisions to make. I really like Murray's poise and quickness. I honestly believe he will be their goalie for the next decade....and at this time last year, I really thought Tristan Jerry had the inside track.....things have changed.

If Fleury is somehow not protected by the penguins which I don't see happening I'd love seeing him in the Flames Red. :)

23 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Yeah, there is no way that they can afford to lose Murray in the expansion draft. They way that he has looked in games at the end of the regular season and the game last night show promise for him to be a top shelf NHL goalie.  His positioning and rebound control, for as young as he is, is phenomenal.  I can wait to see him when he fills out that 6'1" frame(he's listed at 178lbs at the moment).  Fleury is 31, Murray is 21.  Many years ahead of Murray.

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

As hard as  it is to say - I think they need to look to deal Fleury purely as a "business" move.  They have the most depth at the goaltending position and can save about $5,000,000 in cap space replacing Fleury with Murray.  I would hate it - Fleury has been here forever and is a consumate pro and total class act (and often under appreciated).

Such is life in the cap era.

46 minutes ago, B21 said:

As hard as  it is to say - I think they need to look to deal Fleury purely as a "business" move.  They have the most depth at the goaltending position and can save about $5,000,000 in cap space replacing Fleury with Murray.  I would hate it - Fleury has been here forever and is a consumate pro and total class act (and often under appreciated).

Such is life in the cap era.

Sadly, that's the way it HAS to be looked at, as a business.  As much as I like Fleury as a player and a person, the organization will need to look at what is best for the organization.  I don't think they've worked out the full details of what the expansion draft will follow.  Players with no movement clauses may HAVE to be protected due to their contracts, which would mean the Pens would HAVE to protect Fleury and risk Murray. 

28 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Sadly, that's the way it HAS to be looked at, as a business.  As much as I like Fleury as a player and a person, the organization will need to look at what is best for the organization.  I don't think they've worked out the full details of what the expansion draft will follow.  Players with no movement clauses may HAVE to be protected due to their contracts, which would mean the Pens would HAVE to protect Fleury and risk Murray. 

MAF has 3 years left on his deal, he can become a UFA in 2019. He does have a no movement clause included in his deal...but it is only a limited NMC. Marc Andre can block a trade to 12 different teams. If it was to come down to Murray or Fleury, yeah....I honestly believe the 21 year old promising stud gets the nod over the 31 year old franchise goalie. The Pens would be CRAZY to leave Murray unprotected. I could see a scenario where Fleury is dealt to a contender .....most likely in the Western Conference (so it does not come back to bite them in the ass) and Murray is the lone goalie protected. The Pens secure their goalie of the future AND deal a 5,750,000 cap hit....a win/win, as long as Fleury is happy with his new destination.

Oof, yeah. Since Murray played last year, next year will be his third pro year, so he won't be exempt. And with the projected rules re: NTCs/NMCs in place, Fluery would need to be on the protected list, along with Letang, Malkin, Crosby, and Hornqvist. so a couple out of Doumulin/Poulloit/Maata/Sundqvist/Sheary/Bennet/Rust will need to be left exposed as well.

Archived