Jersey number questions.....

jammer2

I'm looking to buy 3 new Flyer jersey's....2 will be current players and one will be a tip of the hat to the Cup days....The 2 current players are going to be Ghost and Provorov. Does anyone know which number Provs has been given for the upcoming year, have they touched on that at all? Will he get to pick cause he's a 1st rounder?  

Another question....does anyone know if Ghost is going to be keeping #53 permanently?  After all, as hockey numbers go, it's pretty blah....you would think he would want a more meaningful number that commands more respect than a 53....does anyone know if that number is specially meaningful to Ghost, or will he end up changing it?

I don't want to jump the gun on these two jersey's until I get absolute conformation on which numbers these two young guys will be wearing.

I don't think you'll have any idea what number Ghost wears next year until it gets close to the season, IIRC, they don't announce number changes until TC is close, and then again after final cut down. He wore 14 in college, so it's unlikely he'll go back to his old number at this point.

Provorov will wear #9 next year in Brandon. No current Flyers do, so I would guess he'll wear that when he makes the Flyers sometime in the 17-18 season, unless there's an acquisition.

Who is going to be honoured by the 3rd veteran/retired jersey you ask....well, I have decided to let everyone pick the jersey....lol.

I know I want number 12, but can't decide between 3 very interesting former Flyers that wore the #12. I'm torn between Gary Dornhoffer, Tim Kerr or Simon Gagne. All 3 were historically, very important Flyers, all wore the #12 for an entire decade or longer. Gary is an interesting option, cause I damn well know, there are not to many Dornhoffer jersey's being worn these days....LOL! Gary has always been one of my favourite all time Flyers, there for the cup wins, a tireless worker, went to the dirty areas so often, they called it his bedroom....ha ha. To me, he personified the Flyers of the 70's (along with Clarke etc of course), he had that never say die, never quit, do anything it took to win....qualities much revered in the hard core Flyer fan base.

Tim Kerr was very, very close the the type of player Dornsy was....he was just blessed with much better hands and eye/hand coordination...but both took merciless poundings in front to the net to gain an edge...anything to win. Really respect both these guys.

I'm throwing Gagne into the equation out of respect, and the fact he was a GREAT #12....but I think I"m looking for more of the lunch bucket approach than pure sniping skills like Simon possessed.

So, can we have a vote?

Which #12 should I buy?

1)Tim Kerr - 1981 - 1991

2) Gary Dornhoffer - 1968 - 1978

3)Simon Gagne....2000 - 2013

Incidentally, the entire list of players that wore #12 for the Flyers....

It kinda drops off a cliff after the 3 aforementioned stars....Listed in order of importance.....at least in my warped little world...

4)Craig Berube - 1999

5)Jim Cummins - 1994 (yeah, Cummns over Raffl....even thought the kid popped in 20 goals....Cummings gets the nod...that dude was crazy!!

6)Patrick Raffl - 2014-2016

7)John Paddock - 1980

8)Patrick Juhlin -  1995 - 1996

9)Greg Paslawski - 1993

Um, yeah....drops off Mt.St Helens after 3, huh?  HA HA!

I am leaning towards Kerr cause he was born literally 10 minutes from me....by FAR, the best player to ever come out of Essex County....but maybe not the best of all time...cause I do believe Mr.Exblad might have something to say about that honour.

I will abide on whoever wins the vote between Kerr and Dornhoffer....you people decide....LOL!

Patrick Raffl? Is that Michael's cousin?

Only jersey I have with a number is a Gagne jersey. I won't wear one of a current player. Too dangerous.

My son is 14, also plays hockey.  We were at a game about a month ago and he outgrew the jersey he had (Giroux) so I said I'd get him a new one.  I assumed it would be Gostisbehere, since my son plays D and during practices has been trying to emulate some of Ghost's moves.  So there we were looking at jerseys and he turns to me and says "I guess they don't have past Flyers jerseys here".  I tell him he can customize one and he says "I want 16.  Clarke.  And it has to have the C on the front.  And it has to be one of the current jerseys, you know the ones that look like the ones they wore back then".

Immediate Pride.  

But I digress...

I can't imagine Gostisbehere would change his jersey number, especially with how many #53's there are now in the crowd.  As for the #12, I'd go with Tim Kerr.  Dorny and Gagne got recognition in their day, and even to an extent after their playing days were done.  Kerr is just as symbolic of the mid 80's teams, which I think were every bit as good as the bullies teams.  Only reason they didn't win a Cup was because they had to play the greatest team of all time in the Oilers.

You could also mess with everyones head and get #12 - GAGNER

21 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I don't think you'll have any idea what number Ghost wears next year until it gets close to the season, IIRC, they don't announce number changes until TC is close, and then again after final cut down. He wore 14 in college, so it's unlikely he'll go back to his old number at this point.

Provorov will wear #9 next year in Brandon. No current Flyers do, so I would guess he'll wear that when he makes the Flyers sometime in the 17-18 season, unless there's an acquisition.

I know the Flyers have come out publically and stated that patience will be a top priority for the prospects....and to that end, I honestly believe that those are their true intentions....HOWEVER....I really, honestly believe that sending Provs back to the WHL will start to stunt his growth. He has accomplished and learned everything he can from jr. hockey...I believe he needs new challenges. Of course, he is to young to go to the AHL, which is probably where he should ideally start out next year....but I believe he will make the Flyers right out of camp.  I dont' think this is the best thing for the Flyers, it's the best thing for Provs.

A few more factors....not that these factors would dictate any decision one way or the other, but they are postives if indeed Provs plays himself on to the team...

A) our transition game sucks, Provs instantly becomes our best skater and is the only d-man that can actually control the pace of the game through skill from the back end.

B) Provs and Ghost on the top pp....are you kidding me...this will be LETHAL...and a huge step up from having a forward on the point on the top pp....and much less dangerous.

C)Provs and Ghost are the 2 fastest players on the Flyers....having them on the ice at the same time creates a natural mismatch....something the Flyers totally lacked last year.

D)Flyers are tight to the cap, another cheap young stud on the blueline means more money can be spent of the forwards.....goals, we need goals real bad.

35 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Ah, I thought I saw him wearing that #9 last week when I watched the Brandon game. #9 would be so cool for Provs to wear....a single digit number (hardly any left in Flyerville) and one of great historical significance....if he get's #9 I will **** my pants with joy!!

To counter: The Flyers don't have roster space for Provorov. They have 11 D under contract next year that are AHL/NHL eligible, plus 4 RFAs. Of those 15, they have 7 that are not waiver exempt, plus Ghost. You can send Macdonald down again pretty safely, but that still leaves you with seven, including Alt and Manning, both of whom would likely get claimed on waivers. And the guys currently on the Phantoms aren't old - aside from Drewiskie who is UFA at 31, the oldest is Alt at 24 - so those guys all need ice time, and there's no "veteran 7th guy" to scratch nightly in the AHL. There just isn't room - until 2017 when you have Streit, MDZ, and Schultz as UFAs. Now if the Flyers start trading off players, that can all change. Or they can let RFAs like Manning and Alt walk, but it would be unlike Hextall to allow an asset to leave without getting something in return.

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I'm looking to buy 3 new Flyer jersey's....2 will be current players and one will be a tip of the hat to the Cup days....The 2 current players are going to be Ghost and Provorov. Does anyone know which number Provs has been given for the upcoming year, have they touched on that at all? Will he get to pick cause he's a 1st rounder?  

Another question....does anyone know if Ghost is going to be keeping #53 permanently?  After all, as hockey numbers go, it's pretty blah....you would think he would want a more meaningful number that commands more respect than a 53....does anyone know if that number is specially meaningful to Ghost, or will he end up changing it?

I don't want to jump the gun on these two jersey's until I get absolute conformation on which numbers these two young guys will be wearing.

He is wearing #79 here....myself i'd prefer him to switch to #9 so not sure which he'd do...you might want to wait till next camp he'll be a Flyer next year.

Image result for ivan provorov

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is wearing #79 here....myself i'd prefer him to switch to #9 so not sure which he'd do...you might want to wait till next camp he'll be a Flyer next year.

I'm sure there are thousands of Flyer fans in the same boat, want a Provs jersey and can't pull the trigger because of the number. Think about it, why in the holy hell would the Flyers *not* generate hundreds of thousands by announcing the permanent number for Provs ahead of time. It would literally be like printing money....lol.

Hmmm I think I would go with Tim Kerr. :)    I was thinking that since Gostisbehere has been so successful this year while wearing 53 that he might keep it.   Nathan MacKinnon wore 22 in Junior but somebody was wearing 22 in Colorado so he took 29.   He had a great rookie year and stayed with 29 even when 22 became available.

As a lover of the 80s Flyers I would support Tim Kerr.  I rock the Kerr jersey quite often (with the black 31 for Pelle) at the games, along with Propp, Ron Sutter and of course Poulin. My current Flyers jerseys are blank as I got burned by Mike Richards and decided never again on a current.

As for your current do be careful about Ghost.  As I recall at the STH meeting when asked by a fan why so few Ghost jerseys abounded at the team store Hexy said "Well what if he has a new number next year?" Take that for what it's worth. Who knows he may keep it in the end but I just wanted to throw that in as an FYI.

21 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

As for your current do be careful about Ghost.  As I recall at the STH meeting when asked by a fan why so few Ghost jerseys abounded at the team store Hexy said "Well what if he has a new number next year?"

i figure it is almost a forgone conclusion that he'll have a new number next year.  the 50's are generally callup numbers.  he may keep it, i guess, but next camp will likely be the first time he'll be asked if he wants anything in particular.  

Archived