Vancouver Canucks year in review

yave1964

PRESEASON Greatest Hockey Legends.com: What's With The Sedin Hate? OUTLOOK: Well they made the playoffs the year before and returned most of the roster from the year before, the hope was that the kids would step up and they would build off the momentum.

FINAL RECORD: 31-38-13 75 Points 13th in the West. Missed the playoffs.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR:  No idea what this means, Alex Edler was one of the top shot blockers per game in the NHL while on the road with 75 blocks in 29 games, but at home he must have jumped out of the way of the rubber or something, only 31 blocks in 23 games. Jannik Hansen had 13 assists (3rd on the team) on the road but only 3 all year at home.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR: Hard to find one but they did open the year by winning 3 of their first 4 games beating Calgary, Anaheim and the Kings.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR: They stumbled along, staying almost within shouting distance of the final playoff spot, but from March 14th through the 29th they lost 9 straight to end their hopes.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Daniel Sedin scored 28 goals and led the team with 61 points. Henrik scored 55 points. Nikita Tryamkin a huge monstrous blueliner came over at the end of the year from Russia and showed promise. Hansen scored 22 goals in 67 games. Ben Hutton was a solid young back end guy. Jared McCann and Jake Virtanen got their feet wet for extended times and showed promise.

WHAT WENT WRONG: The vets screwed this team over, Chris Higgins dissapeared, 3 goals in 33 games. Radem Vrbata fell from 30 goals to 13. Sven Baertschi was supposed to be a real player after they gave up a second rounder for him, he sucked, 15 goals and was one dimensional. Alex Burrows had only 9 goals after 18 the year before. Chris Tanev took a step back and could not stay healthy. Ryan Ryan Miller during a press conference introducing the 2014 USA Hockey ... Miller was somewhere between mediocre and awful. Derek Dorsett slipped to 5 goals. Brandon Sutter signed a ridiculous contract and then did absolutely zero. Bo Horvat was hit hard by the sophomore slump. Dan Hamhuis eroded and they could not trade him at the deadline.

MVP: Daniel by a significant amount. Nobody else stood out.

FREE AGENTS: Radim Vrbata is certainly gone, so is Hamhuis. Others who were just bodies like Brandon Prust, Yannick Weber and Bartkowski are soon to be forgotten.

TOP PROSPECTS: Nikita Nikita Tryamkin meets with his team after being drafted #66 by the ... Tryamkin wants to build off his cup of coffee and become a nasty force on the back end. Virtanen showed promise and wants to be a top six forward this year. Andrey Pedan should stick in the defense rotation this year.Quite a few young frowards such as Brendan Gaunce, Cole Cassels, Ronalds Kenins and Alex Grenier all can play and will fight for ice time with the veteran players being pruned out. Thatcher Demko hopes to work his way into the goaltending mix. Overall not a bad bunch of ready now or near ready players.

QUESTION MARKS: Do they commit to the kids or sign a few veteran bodies while the kids learn the NHL game? Can Miller bounce back or is this his new reality? Can Tryamkin make the defense something to fear?

9 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

This team will be in the shitter for years to come.

Yeah, terribly mismanaged. A few good pieces in place coming from the minors but they will probably shoot themselves in the foot and screw them up, lol

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Yeah, terribly mismanaged. A few good pieces in place coming from the minors but they will probably shoot themselves in the foot and screw them up, lol

They still have the Greatest goalie in the world in Mr. Miller  :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2016 at 9:09 AM, yave1964 said:

Do they commit to the kids or sign a few veteran bodies while the kids learn the NHL game?

Could Troy Brouwer who grew up in North Delta, a suburb of Vancouver sign with the Canucks???

PHILADELPHIA, PA - DECEMBER 21: Troy Brouwer #36 of the St. Louis Blues looks on against the Philadelphia Flyers at Wells Fargo Center on December 21, 2015 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/05/30/brouwer-mulling-signing-with-canucks-in-free-agency/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

If Canucks are smart they would steal this guy from one of their Western rivals if they can. This guy is coming off his best playoff performance of hos career.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Could Troy Brouwer who grew up in North Delta, a suburb of Vancouver sign with the Canucks???

PHILADELPHIA, PA - DECEMBER 21: Troy Brouwer #36 of the St. Louis Blues looks on against the Philadelphia Flyers at Wells Fargo Center on December 21, 2015 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/05/30/brouwer-mulling-signing-with-canucks-in-free-agency/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

If Canucks are smart they would steal this guy from one of their Western rivals if they can. This guy is coming off his best playoff performance of hos career.

First, let me state unequivocally that I LOVE Brouwer, his hard nosed play, his nose for the net, his responsible play in all three zones, an underrated player who makes any team better just by being on the ice. A pain in the ass for whoever he plays against. Love the guy.

That said, I do not think he is a good signing for the Canucks.

He is 31 when we drop the puck on the next season, the Canucks are years away from being a real contender again what with the Sedin boys growing old and the rest of the core that made the cup finals (Luongo, Schneider, Bieksa, Kesler) scattered to the wind. Brouwer does not make them a contender.

IMHO the trades they have made recently, a couple of former first rounders for a stay at home defender and a guy who they could have claimed on waivers if they had waited, were not the type of deals they needed. Trading Kesler and Luongo were not the wrong moves, but instead of blowing it up and going for picks and prosects they added lesser players and have failed to get younger and better. Instead they have a bunch of guys in their late twenties with few exceptions will you find a kid, Hutton and Horvat and Virtanen being about the only youth injected into the lineup.

Brouwer would certainly help the team short term. Does he make a difference in where they rank overall? Does he get them into contention for a cup, or a division title? Emphatically no. He makes them better, but a better BAD team if that makes sense. He takes a job from a Virtanen or one of their few real prospects and slows down the process of the rebuild.

I yhink Brouwer on the right team, the Ducks, the Blues again, teams like that could be a difference maker. On Vancouver, he becomes just one more aging vet collecting a paycheck.Wrong signing for both him and the team. Just my two cents.

9 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

First, let me state unequivocally that I LOVE Brouwer, his hard nosed play, his nose for the net, his responsible play in all three zones, an underrated player who makes any team better just by being on the ice. A pain in the ass for whoever he plays against. Love the guy.

That said, I do not think he is a good signing for the Canucks.

He is 31 when we drop the puck on the next season, the Canucks are years away from being a real contender again what with the Sedin boys growing old and the rest of the core that made the cup finals (Luongo, Schneider, Bieksa, Kesler) scattered to the wind. Brouwer does not make them a contender.

IMHO the trades they have made recently, a couple of former first rounders for a stay at home defender and a guy who they could have claimed on waivers if they had waited, were not the type of deals they needed. Trading Kesler and Luongo were not the wrong moves, but instead of blowing it up and going for picks and prosects they added lesser players and have failed to get younger and better. Instead they have a bunch of guys in their late twenties with few exceptions will you find a kid, Hutton and Horvat and Virtanen being about the only youth injected into the lineup.

Brouwer would certainly help the team short term. Does he make a difference in where they rank overall? Does he get them into contention for a cup, or a division title? Emphatically no. He makes them better, but a better BAD team if that makes sense. He takes a job from a Virtanen or one of their few real prospects and slows down the process of the rebuild.

I yhink Brouwer on the right team, the Ducks, the Blues again, teams like that could be a difference maker. On Vancouver, he becomes just one more aging vet collecting a paycheck.Wrong signing for both him and the team. Just my two cents.

I think he could be a better option on the 2nd line RW over Jannik Hansen (30 as well).

But i would not break the bank for him or offer a long deal.

And Virtanen might be ready to replace Hansen too and they could just swap spots.

But i think if the Blues are smart they would resign him so the point might be moot.

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think he could be a better option on the 2nd line RW over Jannik Hansen (30 as well).

But i would not break the bank for him or offer a long deal.

And Virtanen might be ready to replace Hansen too and they could just swap spots.

But i think if the Blues are smart they would resign him so the point might be moot.

Yeah, to me Brouwer on the Canucks is he difference between 12th and 13th place in the conference. The fans would feel warm and fuzzy over a local boy who wants to come play there but in the long run, it would be moot. Benning's legacy will be a scorched Earth for years to come.

Archived