5 Thoughts Going Into the Offseason

AJgoal

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Philly is at 47 contracts right now. You've suggested...what, 20 guys this year they should sign? The math doesn't work. Pick 3. :5726b5f7a17fd_cointoss:

They are at 36 contracts for next year so plenty of room. Besides most of the guys i suggested were for below the NHL. Drake i think could make the Flyers but he signed with the OIlers. Troy Stecher signed with the Canucks. I'm not sure who i like out there to sign for the Flyers specifically. I have to think about that some more. I'm talking about replacing the Davis Drewski's types with some better younger talent. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

yes, it is.

Nobody knew who they were until you put them up on here. next thing you know they've got contracts.

Coincidence? i think not.

Good point. I guess it is on me. Damn it. I guess i need to PM Hextall instead of putting this out here for all to see. It won't happen again.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

They are at 36 contracts for next year so plenty of room. Besides most of the guys i suggested were for below the NHL. Drake i think could make the Flyers but he signed with the OIlers. Troy Stecher signed with the Canucks. I'm not sure who i like out there to sign for the Flyers specifically. I have to think about that some more. I'm talking about replacing the Davis Drewski's types with some better younger talent. 

I'm yankin' your chain. 

I'm all for signing low priced FAs. Myers looks like a brilliant signing. But you can't sign two free agents every week.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good point. I guess it is on me. Damn it. I guess i need to PM Hextall instead of putting this out here for all to see. It won't happen again.

That's great....now go do some more scouting....mums the word!

57 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm all for signing low priced FAs. M

Well after thinking about it i will throw this name out there for the Flyers....Frans Nielsen, he has intrigued me for a while he is money in the shootout which the Flyers could sorely need.

However he is on the wrong side of 30 and will be 33 next April. So with that said the money he would ask for or demand could change that thought but he is a name to consider going forward i think.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well after thinking about it i will throw this name out there for the Flyers....Frans Nielsen, he has intrigued me for a while he is money in the shootout which the Flyers could sorely need.

However he is on the wrong side of 30 and will be 33 next April. So with that said the money he would ask for or demand could change that thought but he is a name to consider going forward i think.

I'd pass...not that he isn't an upgrade. I want a guy who makes us better going forward, not just for now. Nielson is FA and coming off a good year. it's likely his last good payday. And he's more likely to get worse than better each year. I'd look for someone younger...27-8ish. if i can't find one i'd just wait.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd look for someone younger...27-8ish.

Ok Viktor Tikhonov, Jamie Mcginn, Jiri Tlusty, David Perron, Michael Grabner and Mikkel Boedker are some quick names to throw out that are LWs.  

Now salary demands on all these guys i'm not sure of but some decent names to consider.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok Viktor Tikhonov, Jamie Mcginn, Jiri Tlusty, David Perron, Michael Grabner and Mikkel Boedker are some quick names to throw out that are LWs.  

Now salary demands on all these guys i'm not sure of but some decent names to consider.

And none of those guys are on my must sign list. 

We aren't contending yet. We don't need to sign anyone...unless it's cheap or short term. If they come that way, go for it.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

And none of those guys are on my must sign list. 

We aren't contending yet. We don't need to sign anyone...unless it's cheap or short term. If they come that way, go for it.

Of all those names i would be interested in Jamie Mcginn's physical game. But yes none are these are must sign guys for sure.

My gut says the fourth line is kept intact another year but I concur VDV is the weak link. 

Just remember RE: Gagner--his advanced stats for the second half of the year topped his teammates. I would not shed tears over his departure but if he signed cheaply that might not be so bad.  .Remember--he was one of the few Flyers who could carry the puck into the opponents' zone and keep it there.  Again-- I am not a big advocate. But he actually looked and played better than G, V, and Schenn down the stretch if you look at Corsi and other.  Just saying......he might be happy to sign with a place on the upside and prove is worth....

Howie

10 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

My gut says the fourth line is kept intact another year but I concur VDV is the weak link. 

Just remember RE: Gagner--his advanced stats for the second half of the year topped his teammates. I would not shed tears over his departure but if he signed cheaply that might not be so bad.  .Remember--he was one of the few Flyers who could carry the puck into the opponents' zone and keep it there.  Again-- I am not a big advocate. But he actually looked and played better than G, V, and Schenn down the stretch if you look at Corsi and other.  Just saying......he might be happy to sign with a place on the upside and prove is worth....

Howie

Howie,

I'd be more than OK with keeping Gagner if you could offload Read.

Let me preface this comment as not meant to be a dig...

...i hope Claude Giroux is watching hard at what Joe Pavelski (7th round pick) is doing as a Captain...this i what i want to see from him when he gets healthy next year.

Lead by example.

I know he can play like that...they are the same size...Joe outweighs him maybe by 5 pounds. If he studies hard and brings it he can reach this goal.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let me preface this comment as not meant to be a dig...

...i hope Claude Giroux is watching hard at what Joe Pavelski (7th round pick) is doing as a Captain...this i what i want to see from when he gets healthy next year.

Lead by example.

I know he can play like that...they are the same size...Joe outweighs him maybe by 5 pounds. If he studies hard and brings it he can reach this goal.

While I agree with you...there are also years when Shark fans wished Pavelski played like Giroux.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

While I agree with you...there are also years when Shark fans wished Pavelski played like Giroux.

Giroux is 3rd among active players in playoff points per game. This is the only year where Giroux hasn't approached a point per game in the playoffs. Before this season, Pavelski had fewer points total in 24 more games - 56 in 81 vs. 61 in 57. He's having a monster year, it's true, but Giroux has in the past, as well. And a sports hernia is no joke.  

5 thoughts going into the offseason...

Ghost up for rookie of the year 

Provorov wins best CHL defenceman

Sanheim puts up most points per game by WHL defenceman in 20 years

FA signing Myers QMJHL allstar

Gudas and MDZ both look like legit top 4 defencemen.

June 24/25/26 get forwards Mr. Hextall. (ok, so it's a bakers 5)

On May 24, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Howie58 said:

Howie

With Gagner, it's all about the contract he wants.  He hasn't earned a raise because he was getting more than he was meriting already, but the problem is someone else will probably give him one. 

I dint int think anyone including Hexy would mind keeping him, but he'll want at least 3.5 or 4 for a longer term deal and I just Think everyone believed there are better ways to spend that money. 

On 02/06/2016 at 0:03 PM, King Knut said:

With Gagner, it's all about the contract he wants.  He hasn't earned a raise because he was getting more than he was meriting already, but the problem is someone else will probably give him one. 

I dint int think anyone including Hexy would mind keeping him, but he'll want at least 3.5 or 4 for a longer term deal and I just Think everyone believed there are better ways to spend that money. 

I posted on another board what I would like to see this off season. Move out salary (Streit, Umberger, Read, Vande Velde), sign a left winger (not Lucic, but would have no problems with Eriksson), make room for three rookies to add to the lineup (Leier, Konecny, Provorov), sign Schenn and Gudas to reasonable contracts and just continue doing what needs to be done. You'd end up with something like this:

Eriksson - Giroux - Simmonds

Schenn - Couturier - Voracek

Laughton - Cousins - Konecny

Leier - Raffl - Bellemare

White as the 13th forward

MDZ - Gudas

Gostisbehere - MacDonald

Schultz - Provorov

Manning as the 7th defenseman

Mason

Neuvirth

I know some will complain that there isn't size, but a team like Chicago (who I think is probably the best run franchise the past 6 to 7 years) should be what the Flyers try to emulate. If you look at the lineup, there's speed, skill, size, tenacity and most important, smarts. 

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I posted on another board what I would like to see this off season. Move out salary (Streit, Umberger, Read, Vande Velde), sign a left winger (not Lucic, but would have no problems with Eriksson), make room for three rookies to add to the lineup (Leier, Konecny, Provorov), sign Schenn and Gudas to reasonable contracts and just continue doing what needs to be done. You'd end up with something like this:

Eriksson - Giroux - Simmonds

Schenn - Couturier - Voracek

Laughton - Cousins - Konecny

Leier - Raffl - Bellemare

White as the 13th forward

MDZ - Gudas

Gostisbehere - MacDonald

Schultz - Provorov

Manning as the 7th defenseman

Mason

Neuvirth

I know some will complain that there isn't size, but a team like Chicago (who I think is probably the best run franchise the past 6 to 7 years) should be what the Flyers try to emulate. If you look at the lineup, there's speed, skill, size, tenacity and most important, smarts. 

I'd rather dress Manning and waive Mcdud to the AHL.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd rather dress Manning and waive Mcdud to the AHL.

I would rather dress Manning...in a different uniform. 

We we all hate Mac's contract, but seeing him actually get his legs under him and play for a while made it pretty clear he's an NHL d-man. 

If if it didn't save money needed elsewhere, I'd never ever play manning over him unless I needed to lose games for some reason. 

21 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I would rather dress Manning...in a different uniform. 

We we all hate Mac's contract, but seeing him actually get his legs under him and play for a while made it pretty clear he's an NHL d-man. 

If if it didn't save money needed elsewhere, I'd never ever play manning over him unless I needed to lose games for some reason. 

I'm ok ageeing to disagree. 

I don't know about you but i expect more from a vet D man that just skating backwards conceding the whole defensive zone only to screen your own goaltender and then not even get a stick on the forwards stick or shot.

Nope i have higher expectations than that let him do that bulllshit in the AHL.

But hey maybe it's just me.

Perhaps Hexy can pull off another miracle and trade Mac? We didn't think he could do it with Lecavalier so let's hope there is another dumb team? Or a future expansion team could take him

Archived