2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

pilldoc

2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks  

27 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

• Penguins in 4 (sweep)
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7
    • Sharks in 4 (sweep)
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Congratz to you too and your team.

I had to log off abruptly last night. Not because I am a poor sport, but just......... Being this close hurt more than the reverse sweep the kings gave us 2 years back despite all the embarrassment associated with that. In this case, we lost to a superior team, but thinking "2 wins from the first cup of my lifetime" and the game being so close just hurts. After years of having awful goalies who could never steal a game, we finally got one who could do just that and we came up 2 games short and were outplayed the whole series.

I suspect I would be a Chris Chelios type of NHL player in this situation, so infuriated on the ice that I would storm off before the handshake, but for myself I would probably return to try to do the handshake after. I literally turned the TV off when they called that Penalty in the last 10 seconds just infuriated unable to watch the celebrations going on before the horn. I have never been this down after a game. It might not be, but it feels like my favorite players last chance to win just passed by.

More than understand my friend.  Still your team outplayed anybody's expectations as well, and I think Jones will be a bright spot in the future as well.  

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I had to log off abruptly last night. Not because I am a poor sport, but just......... Being this close hurt more than the reverse sweep the kings gave us 2 years back despite all the embarrassment associated with that. In this case, we lost to a superior team, but thinking "2 wins from the first cup of my lifetime" and the game being so close just hurts. After years of having awful goalies who could never steal a game, we finally got one who could do just that and we came up 2 games short and were outplayed the whole series.

I suspect I would be a Chris Chelios type of NHL player in this situation, so infuriated on the ice that I would storm off before the handshake, but for myself I would probably return to try to do the handshake after. I literally turned the TV off when they called that Penalty in the last 10 seconds just infuriated unable to watch the celebrations going on before the horn. I have never been this down after a game. It might not be, but it feels like my favorite players last chance to win just passed by.

Joe, your team played great. As a team, the Sharks showed more toughness throughout the playoffs than I thought they had. I always knew they had a ton of skill. They just ran up against a team that had a ton of speed and skill with players that had won Cups before, and like everyone else who played against them, couldn't beat their forecheck consistently enough. They have a ton of veterans for sure, but they have Jones who played lights out and probably kept the Sharks from being swept.

You have players like Donskoi, Burns, Couture, Hertl and Nieto who are very young. The Sharks are going to very good for a while. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Jumbo Joe and the boys got back to the SCF next season. Their playoff performances as a team weren't a fluke by any stretch, and beat some damned good teams to get where they did.

9 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Joe,  we get it. I could give platitudes like "Hey, you had a great year", and "Hey, your team is young and the future is bright", but those don't help.  I think that hockey playoffs are just as hard on a teams fans as it is on the players.   I posted earlier in the playoffs, my oldest who just started getting into hockey with me this year stated midway through the playoffs that he can't follow hockey any more(after this season) as it was too strenuous on him.  We get it, and we know you live and breath Sharks hockey, and its hard.  

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Joe, your team played great. As a team, the Sharks showed more toughness throughout the playoffs than I thought they had. I always knew they had a ton of skill. They just ran up against a team that had a ton of speed and skill with players that had won Cups before, and like everyone else who played against them, couldn't beat their forecheck consistently enough. They have a ton of veterans for sure, but they have Jones who played lights out and probably kept the Sharks from being swept.

You have players like Donskoi, Burns, Couture, Hertl and Nieto who are very young. The Sharks are going to very good for a while. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Jumbo Joe and the boys got back to the SCF next season. Their playoff performances as a team weren't a fluke by any stretch, and beat some damned good teams to get where they did.

Oh, and of course you also have one of the best goalies in the league in Martin Jones. If it wasn't for some (cough) league bias, they would've given Murray or Jones the Conn Smythe. Both of these goalies deserved it more for their bodies of work over the entire course of the playoffs than did Crosby.

4 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

What made me laugh the most yesterday.

Well a sharks thread on a sharks board titled "What would you do for a miraculous series comeback"

Someone posted this picture.

81298D46-09D2-EBAD-0326497CBDF6B3FD.jpg

Dedication, yeah that's it...DEDICATION:eyeroll:.

Archived