LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2016-2017

pilldoc

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lyubimov hoping his trip to North America isn’t short

IHOCKEY-WORLD-2016-RUS-NOR

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2016/09/20/roman-lyubimov-hoping-his-trip-north-america-isnt-short/90744288/

“I’m planning to come here for more than one year,” he said through the translation of Slava Kouznetsov, the Flyers’ skating coach. “I’m bringing my family already. They’re coming. I want to stay here more than one year. I will put everything I have into it.”

Ivan Provorov, Travis Konecny and the rest of the Flyers rookies open camp this morning

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/flyers-rookie-camp-opens-provorov-konecny/

Hockey season is here!

The Philadelphia Flyers will begin rookie camp today, September 20th, with a 10 a.m. practice in Voorhees. The Flyers rookies were initially scheduled to practice yesterday, but it was cancelled.

There are 21 players in total for the Flyers at rookie camp: 12 forwards, seven defensemen and two goaltenders.

flyersrookiecamp

Konecny is coming off a 101-point campaign with the Ottawa 67’s and Sarnia Sting in the OHL. The talented forward had a torrid start to his 2016 season as well. He scored six points (four goals, two assists) in two preseason games for Sarnia. He also recorded a shootout goal to help his team to victory.

The Russian defenseman also had one hell of a start to his preseason with the Brandon Wheat Kings. He 19-year old scored a goal and added three assists in three games for Brandon.

Ahhhh Hockey is back!!!!!!

O'Neill Looks Forward to Facing Penguins

29590391340_1d6d83c687_o.jpg

http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2016/09/oneill-looks-forward-to-facing-penguins.html

"The Flyers showed interest in the offseason," O'Neill answered when asked about his offseason search. "They're obviously an attractive organization to come to, from upper management all the way down. I'm really excited to be here."

Lyubimov feeling more comfortable in quest to crack NHL

IHOCKEY-WORLD-2016-RUS-SUI

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2016/09/27/roman-lyubimov-feeling-more-comfortable-quest-crack-nhl/91203552/

“If you have good defense, you have the chance to score a goal,” he said. “The play in the defensive zone wins games.”

Another read on Luby...

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/roman-lyubimov-getting-comfortable-impressing-hard-heavy-style

Lyubimov said what impressed him about the Flyers was how players are treated here, on and especially off the ice.

That was always something former Flyers loved about their late owner Ed Snider. He treated them as family, not employees.

“There is a difference,” Lyubimov said. “Everything here is comfortable and done for the players. Here I live five minutes from the rink. In Moscow, it’s 45 minutes. Everything works for me here.”

So much so, Lyubimov is bringing his wife, Katrina, and their 1-year-old daughter Alexa, over this fall to live here even though he has just a one-year deal worth $925,000.

“I want to stay here more than a year,” he said. “I will do whatever I have to do. This is the place I wanted to come.” :DancingGrape:

Sounds good this Russian sounds like he gets it.

SEPT. 29

ALT OUT INDEFINITELY
6:52 p.m.

Flyers GM also announced to the media an injury update:

"Defenseman Mark Alt is out indefinitely with an upper body injury. We will know more in a day or two."

Alt appeared in two preseason games for the Flyers, including Wednesday's 2-0 win over the New Jersey Devils at the PPL Center in Lehigh Valley.

FLYERS REDUCE TRAINING CAMP ROSTER BY 10 PLAYERS
2:28 p.m.

Flyers GM Ron Hextall announced that the club has reduced their training camp roster by 10 players.

The following players were released from training camp and sent to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms for their training camp which begins tomorrow, Sept. 30.

FORWARDS: Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Radel Fazleev, Tyrell Goulbourne, Corban Knight, Danick Martel and Mark Zengerle.

DEFENSEMEN: Robert Hagg and Reece Willcox.

GOALTENDERS: Alex Lyon and Anthony Stolarz.

Aube-Kubel, Fazleev, Goulbourne and Knight all appeared in two preseason games for the Flyers, while Martel and Zengerle appeared in one preseason game.

On defense, Robert Hagg played two of the three possible preseason games, recording one assist, while Willcox appeared in one preseason contest.

Stolarz and Lyon each appeared in parts of two preseason games. Stolarz recorded a 1.36 goals-against average and .944 save percentage in 88 minutes of playing time, while Lyon posted a 0.67 GAA and .972 save percentage in 90 minutes of playing time.

The duo also combined for a shutout in Wednesday's 2-0 win over the New Jersey Devils at the PPL Center in Lehigh Valley.

The Flyers training camp roster now stands at 39 players.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/otf-alt-injured-flyers-reduce-roster-by-10-players/c-282245132

Very disappointed in Hagg's play he did not display anything that resembled a guy fighting for a spot on the Flyers.

I know he is young only 21 but he just doesn't seem to want it. I see no fire or intensity from this guy. Zero even when it comes to loose pucks he displays no fght to win any battles.

I'm afraid this guy is a lost cause. I could see them moving him before long and getting whatever they can for him especially with the depth they have at that spot.

I don't like to rip on kids and there is a lot you can teach them...

...but you can't teach someone to WANT IT. You either do or you don't. And he looks like he don't give a f**k either way.

I hope i'm wrong we'll see.

He just isn't motivated or it seemed that way. Zero fire.

And now they have guys like Meyers, Friedman and Willcox whom can fill his void in time.

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Very disappointed in Hagg's play he did not display anything that resembled a guy fighting for a spot on the Flyers.

I know he is young only 21 but he just doesn't seem to want it. I see no fire or intensity from this guy. Zero even when it comes to loose pucks he displays no fght to win any battles.

I'm afraid this guy is a lost cause. I could see them moving him before long and getting whatever they can for him especially with the depth they have at that spot.

I don't like to rip on kids and there is a lot you can teach them...

...but you can't teach someone to WANT IT. You either do or you don't. And he looks like he don't give a f**k either way.

I hope i'm wrong we'll see.

He just isn't motivated or it seemed that way. Zero fire.

And now they have guys like Meyers, Friedman and Willcox whom can fill his void in time.

I don't know if he's a lost cause. He's only 21. And you need #5/6 guys. They can't all be top pairing! We couldn't afford it.

So, maybe he and Morin make up the third pairing in the future. Provorov, Sanheim, Ghost, and Myers make up the top 4.

Apparently we will get a glimpse of that tomorrow night, minus Hagg. They plan to ice Prov, Sanheim, Ghost, Myers, and Morin. :)

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

I don't know if he's a lost cause. He's only 21. And you need #5/6 guys. They can't all be top pairing! We couldn't afford it.

So, maybe he and Morin make up the third pairing in the future. Provorov, Sanheim, Ghost, and Myers make up the top 4.

Apparently we will get a glimpse of that tomorrow night, minus Hagg. They plan to ice Prov, Sanheim, Ghost, Myers, and Morin. :)

Can't see it...

....i can't see Hexy overlooking his lack of any hustle or intensity or go get it...sorry i can't and yes even if he is 21.

He is going to have to earn it and he isn't putting forth any effort.

He got sent packing quick so we'll see if that lights a fire under his ass.

He talked earlier in the summer about how Ghost made it and he would like to do the same.

Well he must not have watched Ghost because if he did the one thing Ghost always has is hustle and he goes out and competes for the puck he wants the puck.

Hagg never displayed that at all at any time of he game because i watched him and even rewound it to make sure i wasn't seeing things and i wasn't.

He has a long hard fight ahead of him and of now till he proves me wrong i'm saying he gets traded.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

I dare him.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can't see it...

....i can't see Hexy overlooking his lack of any hustle or intensity or go get it...sorry i can't and yes even if he is 21.

He is going to have to earn it and he isn't putting forth any effort.

He got sent packing quick so we'll see if that lights a fire under his ass.

He talked earlier in the summer about how Ghost made it and he would like to do the same.

Well he must not have watched Ghost because if he did the one thing Ghost always has is hustle and he goes out and competes for the puck he wants the puck.

Hagg never displayed that at all at any time of he game because i watched him and even rewound it to make sure i wasn't seeing things and i wasn't.

He has a long hard fight ahead of him and of now till he proves me wrong i'm saying he gets traded.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

I dare him.

Ya, that's been the knock on Hagg going into his draft year. I'm still not writing him off, but have never understood guys with that godgiven talent who can't be bothered. Hopefully he realizes one day what he's wasting.

For now, he's nowhere near our top prospect when it comes to D, so I'm not too concerned.

Tuesday's Topic - AHL Eligibility

We took a one-week break last week, but have discussed waiver exemptions and theAHL's veteran rule in prior weeks.

This week, it's all about understanding why Ivan Provorov and Travis Konecny aren't eligible to play in the AHL at 19 and why Robert Hagg was with the Phantoms full-time as a 19-year-old. It's actually a simple explanation of the rules.

For all the prospects playing in Canadian Junior hockey leagues (the WHL, OHL and QMJHL), the rule requires that the player must turn 20 years old by December 31st during that season to be eligible to play in the AHL.
Example: Player A played in the QMJHL and begins the 2016-17 season as a 19-year old. His birthday is on December 25th, 2016. Therefore, Player A is AHL eligible for the 2016-17.
For prospects playing overseas, there isn't a rule that limits them from playing in the AHL at 19 years old or even 18. More times than not, however, younger players overseas tend to continue to develop their game - be it because they are under contract for an overseas pro team (i.e. the SHL in Sweden or the KHL in Russia) or would prefer playing close to home professionally than move to North America to play in the minor leagues (AHL or ECHL).

The following is an interesting example, but nonetheless accurate under the current rules in the collective bargaining agreement (CBA)
Example: Auston Matthews might have been born in the United States, but because he played in the Swiss-A league with Zurich HC he's technically eligible to play in the AHL this season as an 19-year-old. Obviously, Matthews will be in the NHL with Arizona, but you might start to see a trend here.
Instead of playing junior hockey in Canada or going the collegiate route (NCAA) and thus needing to be 20 to play in the AHL, a guy could decide to take his talents overseas and bypass that rule - being able to play in the AHL a full year earlier.

From a Lehigh Valley Phantoms perspective, both sides of the rule are put into effect.

Technically, Oskar Lindblom was eligible to play in the AHL at the beginning of last season as a 19-year-old like Robert Hagg did at 19 since Lindblom also was playing overseas in Sweden and not subject to the CHL agreement that keeps players from playing in the AHL until age 20.

On the other side of it, CHL guys like Travis Konecny (OHL Sarnia Sting) and Ivan Provorov (WHL Brandon Wheat Kings) won't be AHL-eligible until their junior team's season has ended this spring or until next season (Konecny turns 20 in March, 

http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2016/10/tuesdays-talk-104.html

Good read...

HA i noticed Tony overlooked who Matthews plays for.....

Example: Auston Matthews might have been born in the United States, but because he played in the Swiss-A league with Zurich HC he's technically eligible to play in the AHL this season as an 19-year-old. Obviously, Matthews will be in the NHL with Arizona, but you might start to see a trend here.

Always great to read a hockey article from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Ya buddy, most Canadians are planning to go to Europe to play just so they can play in the AHL at 19. It's a dream.

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Always great to read a hockey article from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Ya buddy, most Canadians are planning to go to Europe to play just so they can play in the AHL at 19. It's a dream.

He didn't say "most Canadians," he said "a guy." It's a legitimate possibility, isn't it?

1 minute ago, brelic said:

He didn't say "most Canadians," he said "a guy." It's a legitimate possibility, isn't it?

Because Matthews did it?  Matthews basically knew he'd be in the NHL this year. he went to the Swiss league to earn some cash. Not so he could play in the A this year.

Is it possible? Sure. I just get sick of people who don't watch junior trying to 'fix it' by sending players to the A. When the other leagues catch up to the CHL in providing NHLers then maybe we should worry about development here. 

Archived