A nerds holiday, July First

yave1964

God I cannot wait for Friday. It is my holiday.

I will be kid free, grandkid free, wife free, just me and the NHL network and my binders of hockey cards. Yes, 51 years old but I am still that geeky. I collect cards and keep them by team and when someone is signed/traded  I move the card to the new team.

Hi, my name is Dave and I am a nerd. (hi Dave). th?id=OIP.M00f07373a7e5101e6bea32bc2aebb

Anyway looking at the names bandied about, and dreaming of what Holland will do with the 19 million dollars at his disposal. That is if he does not manage to find a sucker to take Howard off his hands. 19 million is a lot of jack.

First obviously there is Stamkos but he is first on a lot of teams lists, the price is going to be insane but I gotta dream we sign him.

Second now that the draft is over I hope the Blues come back to Earth in their asking price for Shattenkirk who is a power play God. Boston is said to have offered the 14th pick in the draft, the Blues wanted that and Krug, from the Wings they asked for Dylan Larkin, a non starter.

If we strike out on the two prized plumbs out there, I pray we do not go after any of the wingers, we do not need a Okposo or Lucic we need centerman and blueline help. Desperately.

Frans Neilson has been a favorite of mine for years, a true underrated 50 point a year guy who plays all situations, Backes would be great but term is an issue for a guy who is already showing signs of slipping. The Rangers are serious about Stamkos but to do so need to free salary and Stepan or Brassard might be got for 70 cents on the dollar.

On the back end, Cam Fowler is the name bandied about as the second best blueliner for whoever misses out on Shattenkirk. Now that Vatanan has been resigned and with the Ducks having kids pushing on the blueline, Fowler may be dealt for a winger (Nyquist?). He would fit nicely.

So perfect world we add Stamkos and Shattenkirk. I doubt that is going to happen but hey, we can all dream.

Imperfect world we add one and one of the rest, such as Brassard and Shattenkirk, or Stamkos and Fowler. Any of the above make me giddy.

Worst nightmare is something along the lines of Eric Staal and Dan Hamhuis, or Vrbata and Campbell. All would be a good signing. Elsewhere.

So Friday, just me and the NHL network and my tablet th?id=OIP.Macda21f24765e2a66af2cb0b90480 and my cards and my phone and my laptop, a regular nerdapalooza and I dont give a damn who calls I aint answering, the wife and the last remaining daughter who is still not raised will be gone by noon and not home until six, it will be a fun day. Ken Holland, please, PLEASE do not screw this up with more Weiss, Alfie, Tootoo, Gustafsson Modano, Richards crap. Get it right this time. If you get both Shatty and Stamkos I will not say another bad thing about you ever. I promise. At least until the next time.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of observing Canada Day in that special way, but I'm certain the data usage on my phone will make a large spike that afternoon.  Our town is hosting its annual Fourth of July fair this Friday with food, crafters, games, and fireworks.  We'll be heading over there right after I finish with a full day's work.  

Bang for the buck. I like it too. I think Drew's absence from the PK was very noticeable. He is about as defined a role player as the Wings have, and he does his job well when healthy. He needs to teach his PK to the younger players like Bertuzzi and AA, although I hope that AA is allowed to flourish offensively, even though he can and does play a PK role, he needs to be much more than a PK threat. 

That price is definitely right, allowing us to use our resources on obtaining offensive firepower. I'd love to nab a great D man, but there doesn't look like there's much out there in that department. I guess I will have to "settle" for Stamkos. ;-P

21 minutes ago, Old School Hockey said:

No Stamkos!!!!!  Now who??

DRAT!!

This kinda feels like the wake of not signing either Suter or Parise. I almost want to say, "Save some for next year."

Does this mean we keep Helm? (If Darren wants to stay in Detroit, this is probably the best news for him.)

Darren wants to test the waters in free agency, so if nothing comes up, expect him to sign about a week later.

As for losing out on Stamkos, well, now we know he is only in it for the money.  He spent all that time thinking about switching teams, then decided to stay home.  Passing up the opportunity to play on a new team, with the position that he wants, for more money, and he ended up staying where there ain't no income tax.

Don't spend it all in one place, Steve....

Still planning on taking tomorrow off, @yave1964?

@WingNut722 @SpikeDDS 

Signing Miller, as @ oldschool pointed out helps the P/K and is a good solid under the radar move. He has a solid motor and reminds me a lot of Maltby and comes cheap. Safe pickup.

Who now??!?? is the question with Stamkos staying in Tampa. Wow.

I still hope we can get in on Shattenkirk or Fowler, we need one of the two, Hell maybe we leave the forwards along and trust the kids and trade for them both, lol. Among free agent forwards, none impress me. We do not need a winger, we have them in spades, if anything we have too many and one might need to go. We need help down the middle unless the plan is to move Larkin to the 1C spot and Athanasiou to the 2C spot which might be stretching too young talents a bit thin. I would prefer them to remain on the Wing or down a line if possible. Among the free agents:

Okposo and Lucic getting old and play the position we dont need. Pass.

Staal and Backes, yes we need centers but these two are already clearly in decline and will be looking for term/money. That may hurt us long term more than help. I would not mind either in the right scenario but 5 years, 30 million would be the wrong move at the wrong time. If we could get either for 3 years it would be okay.

Frans Neilson, as I have mentioned many times is one of those guys who quietly scored 50-55 points a year playing in all situations and might come a bit cheaper. He is a 2C and fills a need for the right price.

Damn skippy I am still gonna be glued to the set. This is a critical week for the Wings future and I hpe we get it right.

23 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@WingNut722 @SpikeDDS 

Frans Neilson, as I have mentioned many times is one of those guys who quietly scored 50-55 points a year playing in all situations and might come a bit cheaper. He is a 2C and fills a need for the right price.

Damn skippy I am still gonna be glued to the set. This is a critical week for the Wings future and I hpe we get it right.

This.

I almost think we may be best underspending this season hoping for better FA opportunities next offseason. It won't be Stamkos, but in reality Stamkos never really was, was he? It was only in our hopes.

I'm hoping for better opportunities next offseason, when we will have a new, albeit poorly-named, arena to entice players with. Imagine a new star joining other current Red Wings' images on the new arena.

22 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

This.

I almost think we may be best underspending this season hoping for better FA opportunities next offseason. It won't be Stamkos, but in reality Stamkos never really was, was he? It was only in our hopes.

I'm hoping for better opportunities next offseason, when we will have a new, albeit poorly-named, arena to entice players with. Imagine a new star joining other current Red Wings' images on the new arena.

Next years free agent list includes that Benn guy in Dalas who would fit in quite nicely anywhere but is likely not going anywhere, and about half of the Sharks team (Thornton, Burns and Marleau) but is not a particularly deep class, but I agree, we need to play for 2017-18, get the kids involved, quit signing the guys like Alfie, Weiss, Tootoo, Richards and the rest. To be fair, I dont think Richards was so bad as poorly utilized, but hey, while I am on a role....

I do not want to see guys like Modano stumble around a shadow of their former glory, I would be okay with Staal on a short term deal only but I see him as that kind of guy and a 5 year deal would be counter to building properly. Same with Backes. More later. My biggest worry is long term deals to older players.

22 minutes ago, Old School Hockey said:

Short term contract I'd like Lucic.  This team hasn't had grit since Drake retired.  Okposo, now he's interesting.  And a trade for a defenseman.

I wouldn't have a problem with a short-term Lucic deal either, but is a guy like Lucic gonna accept a short-termer? I'm not so sure he'd take a 3-year deal or less. I suppose he might, but I think the market might give him more than that, and I don't want to commit for more than that for him.

I hate to say it, but I think we are gonna be stuck with Howard.

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

I have an 11:15 tee time at the local munie, and, yes, I suck at golf too.....:blushing:

Edit: it just started raining...

Why do you do this to yourself....?

1 hour ago, Old School Hockey said:

Frans Neilson.

THRILLED. I have mentioned in here a million times that he is as good of a two way player as there is in the game. A bit nervous about the term, six years, (oof) but he is a 55 point a year guy who plays in all situations and maybe most important, he is a great shootout guy.

5 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

THRILLED. I have mentioned in here a million times that he is as good of a two way player as there is in the game. A bit nervous about the term, six years, (oof) but he is a 55 point a year guy who plays in all situations and maybe most important, he is a great shootout guy.

The term is the way it goes these days.

Helm and Marchenko as well.

Archived