Flyers development camp starts Thursday: roster

jammer2

10 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Stopped in this afternoon for a bit. Started out watching some goalie drills. 

Lyon seemed pretty quick. Seemed to track the puck well. A couple of times he seemed to over commit side to side and kicked the puck out in front of an open net. Madsen is really big. Good puck tracking, but had some trouble with deflections. Also had one stick save where he directed the puck over his shoulder and into the net. Sandstrom was just all around solid. Good side-to-side control. Had a couple good stops on Konecny that I saw in the Group 1 drills.

Watching group 1, it was hard not to get mesmerized by Provorov's skating. Very compact stride and excellent body control. That said, Hagg's skating didn't seem too far behind. Provorov also had several good shots in drills. Konecny is fast, good hard shot. He and Fazleev seemed to have a bit of a rapport going. Bernhardt is a big, lanky kid. Skating wasn't as smooth as Hagg or Provorov, but he was able to keep Konecny outside pretty well in a one-on-one. Hogberg is really slight, he's listed as 6'1 but he seems smaller. He struggled some in one on ones, Goulborne went around him pretty easily at one point. Vala is interesting, think he's an invite. Really big kid, biggest in group 1. Skates well, though I don't think as well as Morin. Got beat outside, but used his reach well to deny the forward. Decent shot.

I only watched a bit of group 2. Morin was out on the ice, which is good since he had strep the past couple of days on top of the abdominal/hip surgery he had this summer. Allison moved pretty well for a bigger guy, and has a pretty good wrister. I don't know if Tomek was having a bad day or what. I'm probably exaggerating, but it seemed like guys scored on him 50% of the time. Hart looked very good in goal. Moved well and stopped just about everything. Freidman has a really nice release, and seemed bigger than the 5'10 they list him at.

It's really hard to judge these kids based on drills, but there's certainly a lot of skill there. I saw both Hakstol and Hextall on the balcony watching group 1. I think Pryor was up there watching both groups at various times. 

Thanks for the scouting report....what about Sanheim and Laberge?

Just now, pilldoc said:

@AJgoal

Thanks for the scourging report.  Did you get a chance to see Laberge?  Who, in your opinion surprised you the most?  Glad to hear Morin was back on the ice.

Laberge was in group 2. I saw him a little bit, but he didn't stand out to me in the brief time I was in there. I noticed Allison quite a bit on the ice in comparison. Doesn't mean he was having a bad time, but the way the drills were set up I was catching more of some guys than others. @flyercanuck Sanheim looked pretty good,  smooth stride like I'd expect to see. Skating-wise, he was the class of the group 2 D. He always seemed to be going down the ice away from me though. I know it's not really the case, but I think I only caught one shot of his.

I'm planning on grabbing an early breakfast and checking out the forward and defense drills tomorrow morning. If anyone wants me to try to concentrate on anyone in particular, let me know.

Also, @pilldoc, I think Bernhardt surprised me the most. Going in I expected to see good things from Konecny, Fazleev, Provorov, etc, but Bernhardt was a guy I kept noticing in drills. He'll need some work in the skating department, but he seems to have the physical tools.

On 7/7/2016 at 6:49 PM, pilldoc said:

Provorov..well what else is there to say.... I am beginning to feel more and more that he will make the Flyers squad this year.  There is nothing else for him to prove in juniors.  I feel the same way about Konecny.

On Provorov/Konecny possibly going back to junior: "You can always go back and become a better player."-Hextall    :eyeroll:

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

On Provorov/Konecny possibly going back to junior: "You can always go back and become a better player."-Hextall    :eyeroll:

Touche'!  ...yup totally agree....... of course I typed that post before I read the article on Hexy....:blushing:

11 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Laberge was in group 2. I saw him a little bit, but he didn't stand out to me in the brief time I was in there. I noticed Allison quite a bit on the ice in comparison. Doesn't mean he was having a bad time, but the way the drills were set up I was catching more of some guys than others. @flyercanuck Sanheim looked pretty good,  smooth stride like I'd expect to see. Skating-wise, he was the class of the group 2 D. He always seemed to be going down the ice away from me though. I know it's not really the case, but I think I only caught one shot of his.

Thanks AJ

Bunch of the D walked through on their way to a meeting. Morin's skinnier than I expected. Provorov signed a few pucks for a kid.

Madsen, Lyon, Sandstrom on the ice doing individual drills. No pucks. Sandstrom still looks to me to be incrementally better side to side.

Allison just rocked Martel pretty good in a board drill. Laberge won battle against Fazleev.

Laberge has a very good first step and is always under control. Quick ffrom point to point.

Lacynski is also a pretty quick guy.

Allison is a bit slower off the start. Stride not as compact.

Twarynski moves really well. Quick release and great velocity on his shots. Hit two crossbars on two shots in one drill.

Laberge has a nice release. Allison does as well, with great velocity on his wrist.

Sanheim very smooth. Changes direction easily, nice lateral movement. Hard, accurate wrist shot.

Freidman might be almost as good a skater, also has a nice shot. Both guys are under control at all times. 

Morin has impressive body control for a guy that big. Good shot. 

10 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Morin's skinnier than I expected.

You know you're a skyscraper when you're 227 and reading comments like that.

I think when all is said and done he should be 245-250.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived