Flyers Lineup 2016 - 2017

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I still don't understand this teams love affair with Vandavelde? He should have been waived before Weal. 

Might have something to do with where he went to college and who his coach was.

North Dakota.

Dave Hackstol.

46 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I still don't understand this teams love affair with Vandavelde? He should have been waived before Weal. 

Eh. Weal isn't really a 4th line/13th forward type of player, and he can probably benefit from time in the AHL. Vandevelde is the kind of guy I'd rather have in one of those spots (preferably 13th forward).

31 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Eh. Weal isn't really a 4th line/13th forward type of player, and he can probably benefit from time in the AHL. Vandevelde is the kind of guy I'd rather have in one of those spots (preferably 13th forward).

That's assuming Weal clears waivers, because he's not exempt.

I think he needs to play, the only question is whether it will be in Lehigh Valley.

3 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Gostisbehere is not being waived because he's waiver exempt. He can however, be demoted in order for us to get under the cap, and then re-called 

Whatever you know what i meant.

So i think that now with Weal waived Lyubimov will make the roster.

I like this move, no offense to Weal but he is more like just an AHL/NHl fringe guy...sure he scored some goals but he just didn't stand out much to me Luby brings more size and speed to the team....plus is just more positionally sound from what i've seen. 

Aside from Konecny and Provorov (who have been covered in another thread), has the team announced the opening night roster yet?  

i.e. have they announced the final cuts?  I know Weal cleared waivers and was sent to the Phantoms.  Is that it?  With the suspensions and injuries that that mean the 23 man roster is solidified for now?  

On 10/9/2016 at 3:43 PM, AJgoal said:

Totally.  Great for pointing this out.  

The other half is that Weal didn't play much last year.  If they keep him and he's the press box guy, he's not playing night in and night out.  If they could sneak him into the AHL (as they were able to do) he gets ice time and top 6 minutes every night as opposed to filling the pop corn bags and staying in shape in case someone gets hurt (which is probably what VV will be doing).  

Vandy knows his role and can execute at an acceptable degree.  Weal needs ice time.  

Also just like Konecny needed to be better than not just the worst forward, but the worst top 6 forward in order for making the team to really be of much use to him, Weal isn't a 4th line role player like Vandy.  He needs to be ready to go and better than Read, Raffl or Weise, Nor Gordon, Belly and VV at this point in order to make the Flyers roster.  

Weal is probably a third line, maybe second (someday) type guy.  At this point, they need the third and fourth to be able to play their roles in order to win games now.   Keeping Weal over VV doesn't do Weal any favors and worse leaves the 4th line with a player not suited for the role he needs to play.  

Dave IsaacVerified account‏@davegisaac

Hextall says they'll send Lyubimov down and keep Weal then LTIR Del Zotto tomorrow. Will be about $113K under cap. #Flyers

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Dave IsaacVerified account‏@davegisaac

Hextall says they'll send Lyubimov down and keep Weal then LTIR Del Zotto tomorrow. Will be about $113K under cap. #Flyers

He said they'd have to do things they didn't want to and I assume sending down Lyubimov is one of them.  I'm wondering, can Lyubimov come back to the Flyers with Ghost after they LTIR MDZ?

Yes. The assumption right now is that tomorrow, Lyubimov will come back up and Weal will get sent down, and MDZ will be placed on LTIR.

I believe what he meant when he said they'd have to do things they didn't want to do was using LTIR.

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I believe what he meant when he said they'd have to do things they didn't want to do was using LTIR.

I think he means they don't want to do it before the season starts. Do it right after. So this doesn't hurt them banking cap space.

Forwards (14):

#10 – Brayden Schenn (suspended)
#11 – Travis Konecny
#12 – Michael Raffl
#14 – Sean Couturier
#17 – Wayne Simmonds
#19 – Jordan Weal
#22 – Dale Weise
#24 – Matt Read
#25 – Nick Cousins
#27 – Boyd Gordon
#28 – Claude Giroux
#76 – Chris VandeVelde
#78 – Pierre-Edouard Bellemare
#93 – Jakub Voracek

Defensemen (7):

#3 – Radko Gudas (suspended)
#9 – Ivan Provorov
#23 – Brandon Manning
#32 – Mark Streit
#47 – Andrew MacDonald
#53 – Shayne Gostisbehere
#55 – Nick Schultz

Goaltenders (2):

#30 – Michal Neuvirth
#35 – Steve Mason

I'm ready it sucks i won't be able to stay up and watch the whole game versus LA because i'm going back to 1st shift saturday morning 5 am comes early........i hope i awake to a win!!!

GO FLYERS!!!!!!:flyers:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-On-Paper-vs-Actual-Opening-Night-Rosters-Line-Combos-Phantoms/45/79834

This will be the Flyers' actual roster and probable lines come Friday night:

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
11 Travis Konecny - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
25 Nick Cousins -76 P-E Bellemare - 22 Dale Weise
76 Chris VandeVelde - 27 Boyd Gordon - 24 Matt Read or 60 Roman Lyubimov

47 Andrew MacDonald - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
9 Ivan Provorov - 32 Mark Streit
55 Nick Schultz - 23 Brandon Manning

35 Steve Mason / 30 Michal Neuvirth

Scratches: Brayden Schenn (suspended by NHL for first three games), Radko Gudas (suspended by NHL for first six games), Michael Del Zotto (LTIR), Scott Laughton (LTIR), one of Roman Lyubimov or Matt Read (healthy).

Myself i'd love to see Lubi in the lineup instead of Van develde....just not very impressed by him and i think Lubi can move up in the lineup maybe with his smarts and speed.

I just think he has some upside to be explored. CVV is at his ceiling...meh!

And when Schenn gets back i think Matt Read could/should join CVV in the press box....just my 2 cents....Read could be trade bait at some point in the season...i guess we'll see.

And when Laughton is healthy he needs to join the Phantoms to work on his confidence and game....sorry he has work to do.

2 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Not likely anyone will take Read if he's struggling again.

True. Besides he could come in handy for the expansion draft because he is signed for next season to so there is that....

:beer:

Can't argue much about Laughton i think he is a victim of playing to soon and not getting any AHL to hone his game...he will be given that time this year though...we'll see...he is on his last year of his ELC so he won't get much on his qualifying offer to retain him.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

True. Besides he could come in handy for the expansion draft because he is signed for next season to so there is that....

:beer:

Can't argue much about Laughton i think he is a victim of playing to soon and not getting any AHL to hone his game...he will be given that time this year though...we'll see...he is on his last year of his ELC so he won't get much on his qualifying offer to retain him.

All I remember is the Flyers went "off the board" to draft him. When we could have and should have drafted someone like Maatta or Pearson. Thank God we were able to get Gostisbehere in the 3rd round.

Honestly, when Schenn gets back, I'd think hard about sliding Lyubimov into a top-6 role on the phantoms to see if he can develop into more than a 4th liner in the NHL. Run the lines:

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds

Konecny - Couturier - Voracek

Raffl - Cousins - Weisse

Bellemare - Gordon - Read

Vandevelde

It looks like they're going to carry 8 d when everyone is healthy. Unless they intend to send Schultz down.

21 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Honestly, when Schenn gets back, I'd think hard about sliding Lyubimov into a top-6 role on the phantoms to see if he can develop into more than a 4th liner in the NHL. Run the lines:

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds

Konecny - Couturier - Voracek

Raffl - Cousins - Weisse

Bellemare - Gordon - Read

Vandevelde

It looks like they're going to carry 8 d when everyone is healthy. Unless they intend to send Schultz down.

I assume Hextall will be shopping Read, Streit, Schultz and maybe others pretty hard starting 2 or 3 days ago.  

To be paying this much to have Read on the 4th line is a bit sickening.  At least it has a better chance of being effective than having VLC on the 4th line could possibly have been.  

Archived