The NCAA FA Loophole -- or is it one??

BluPuk

I find it curious (to say the least) that players in the NCAA can even do this. Why can't everyone? Are Canadian players are like slaves?  Why can't the home boys of Saskatchewan or Nova Scotia, or Ontario play for the team(s) of their choice? Always pisses me of when these guys do this. Just sayin'..

Rant done..

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

I find it curious (to say the least) that players in the NCAA can even do this. Why can't everyone? Are Canadian players are like slaves?  Why can't the home boys of Saskatchewan or Nova Scotia, or Ontario play for the team(s) of their choice? Always pisses me of when these guys do this. Just sayin'..

Rant done..

Lindros did back in 1991.  Was drafted by Quebec and refused to play for them.  Was then traded to the Flyers. It might also have to do the way the CBA is structured in such a way as how the NHL interacts with both the NCAA and the Canadian Junior teams.  Two sets of rules...why...I have no idea.

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Rant done..

Yeah it is called the NHL - CHL agreement. :5726b5f8a4ac0_drumsfingers:

I think I have this right...

First of all the CHL includes players that have signed professional contracts the NCAA does not.   Players leave the NCAA early all the time once given a NHL contract.  The so- said loophole is only for players who stay in college all 4 years.    CHL drated players have to sign a pro contract by age 20, if not they can re-enter the NHL draft.  If they are not drafted they then they to the best of my knowledge become a free agent.  --- So in other words, A CHL player needs to just suck and then some how blossom after age 20 so that a NHL team wants to sign said player.  Thus,  they too can become a FA like the NCAA at about the same age.

However, if a player stays in junior this long and not given a NHL contract he probably isn't really worth signing to anything more than a AHL deal.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

. It might also have to do the way the CBA is structured in such a way as how the NHL interacts with both the NCAA and the Canadian Junior teams.  Two sets of rules...why...I have no idea.

53 minutes ago, hf101 said:

First of all the CHL includes players that have signed professional contracts the NCAA does not.   Players leave the NCAA early all the time once given a NHL contract.  The so- said loophole is only for players who stay in college all 4 years.    CHL drated players have to sign a pro contract by age 20, if not they can re-enter the NHL draft.  If they are not drafted they then they to the best of my knowledge become a free agent.  --- So in other words, A CHL player needs to just suck and then some how blossom after age 20 so that a NHL team wants to sign said player.  Thus,  they too can become a FA like the NCAA at about the same age.

However, if a player stays in junior this long and not given a NHL contract he probably isn't really worth signing to anything more than a AHL deal.

thanks for the clarification ..I knew some of it..just not all of it

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

AKA Matt Read? 

yep, Read however, wasn't drafted.

I haven't researched it yet, but I not sure how many CHL players have chosen not to sign an ELC when offered?

There have been a few over the years who have chosen not to sign with the team that drafts them, re-entered the draft, and then gone FA. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but there have definitely been some. The issue is that by that point, they are 20 and out of developmental leagues to play in. So the guys that go that route don't seem to end up having any impact.

7 hours ago, hf101 said:

If said player spent a year in the development league like USHL then goes to college he can do this after his junior year like Jimmy V.

Archived