Flyers vs Islanders. 2016-09-27

Digityman

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

r

I totally agree, some vets are needed, you can't go to young to fast on the blueline. Problem is he is UFA, so the Flyers would be in a very weak negotiating position. He makes 3.8 a year right now....can't see asking for less than 5 mill a year 4-5 years....he will get that on the open market. That means one of our young studs are traded out before they get a chance to play because of the lack of spots available. Plus, a good chance there is not a ton of drop off from Sanheim to MDZ when you factor in 5 mill against 1 mill a year.

Well he's 26, so 4-5 years are his prime. If he gets back to his healthy form and numbers he's worth that, and easily tradeable. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Well he's 26, so 4-5 years are his prime. If he gets back to his healthy form and numbers he's worth that, and easily tradeable. 

Let's see how his wrist holds up. He will never have full range of motion in it again is what he says so let's see how that effects his game this year.

On 10/1/2016 at 3:00 PM, ruxpin said:

I completely agree.

So here's the $64,000 question:   Say the Flyers are a borderline playoff team at the deadline (anywhere from 6th to 10th seed in a closely-grouped field).   Given the crop of dmen in the system do you keep MDZ for a (arguably futile) playoff run or do you try to trade him so you get something.

Or do you do a "trade the rights" after the season to a team that maybe has a chance of signing him.  I like this, but you probably get less than at the deadline.

You "MIGHT" get a prospect for him if traded at the deadline. I'm not sure if the prospect will make the big team it might be worth the gamble?!

Just now, notfondajane said:

You "MIGHT" get a prospect for him if traded at the deadline. I'm not sure if the prospect will make the big team it might be worth the gamble?!

The pick/prospect would be better than nothing for him if we were to let him walk in free agency.  But I'm not excited about either for MDZ in general.

4 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Might get a prospect? For Del Zotto?

How about a 1st + a prospect? 

44 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Might get a prospect? For Del Zotto?

How about a 1st + a prospect? 

Agree if he plays like he did last season pre-injury. That said, I'd rather re-sign him if the price is decent. He'd be a good vet for the young guys. But if he's not going to re-sign? You almost have to move him at the deadline. No way he pulls in nearly as much if you're trading his rights in the offseason.

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The pick/prospect would be better than nothing for him if we were to let him walk in free agency.  But I'm not excited about either for MDZ in general.

Agreed on this point! Let's see what happens!

Archived