Matthews REALLY Debuts!

SpikeDDS

4 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

(Sigh.)    :5726b5faa5ef9_lookssad:   (Inserts meds.)   :ahappy:

You're right. I'm feeling much better.  

I'm just curious if players will alter their strategy. The odds of scoring on a breakaway are only ~35-40% maybe. If the player knows that a failed breakaway will cost his team a 2-on-1 the other way, the smart play is to hold back and wait for backup. If you don't have a 2-on-1 during 3-on-3 play, abort the breakaway attempt and defend. Or perhaps the player on a breakaway should cut in from the side, snipe a shot on goal from ~25 feet out and immediately circle back. If you get caught behind the goal line you're toast. You can't do a full breakaway attempt during 3-on-3. It's too risky. 

I don't know if you ever played hockey.....but you don't ever pass on a breakaway...ever! Ever!

Ever!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

punishment for doing so is that the play goes the other way and morphs into an unstoppable 2-on-1

Well your Russian defenseman did have a chance at it he just whiffed on it...and then it got by the goalie...

39 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

This is what I hate about 3-on-3 overtime and why I think it's such a ****** gimmick. A player makes an honest attempt to score on a break and the punishment for doing so is that the play goes the other way and morphs into an unstoppable 2-on-1. It's just shameless game manipulation by the NHL to turn the product into a live video game for people with ADHD. 

I guess players should now decline breakaways during 3-on-3 and wait until they get a 2-on-1. The odds of scoring are so much better with a 2-on-1. I guess a breakaway isn't worth the risk any more. 

I realize this immediate attack-counterattack does happen during regular play, but it's guaranteed to happen in 3-on-3 play. It's manufactured and fake in my opinion.  :confused[1]: 

Yes it cuts both ways. It to me is better than a shootout option. I wouldn't mind playing another 5 minutes of just 4 on 4.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Huh why be disappointed? He had a chance to win it and missed and the other guy didn't that's all nothing more.

Hasn't had a goal since his 1st game. Just saying.

Oh, okay. Just sounded like sour grapes to me. My bad :5726c71d97cb4_pleasestopnow:

1 minute ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

No..I'm troubleshooting something based on a question I asked HF earlier today.  Long story...

And yes, I'm sober too.

Ok just asking. I won't hi jack this thread anymore..back to the regular scheduled Matthews discussion...

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes it cuts both ways. It to me is better than a shootout option. I wouldn't mind playing another 5 minutes of just 4 on 4.

If I had to rank my preference for OT it would be:

1. 5 minutes of 5-on-5, end in a (see photo below).
  2. 5 minutes of 4-on-4, end in a (see photo below).
  3. 5 minutes of 5-on-5, have a shootout.
  4. 5 minutes of 4-on-4, have a shootout.
  5. 10 minutes of 5-on-5, etc.
  6. 10 minutes of 4-on-4, etc.
  7. Have a hot dog eating contest.
  8. 5 minutes of 3-on-3, etc.

I really don't want to watch the Leafs for another 5 minutes if I can avoid it! 65 minutes is painful enough. ;)

8f3a569f24f70e7463524e742472d65885e9fac8.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived