Matthews REALLY Debuts!

SpikeDDS

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am watching the game.

Fantastic stuff. However, and NOT taking away from how impressive he has looked, he IS playing against the Ottawa Senators...not exactly defensive juggernauts.

After this, the Leafs get their home opener on Saturday against the Bruins, then go on the road against Winnipeg, Minnesota, and Chicago, before returning home against Tampa Bay.

Much better measuring stick of Matthews (and indeed, the Leafs as a whole) after the Leafs get through that.

But yea, if I am a Leafs fan, I am very excited about Toronto's number one pick.

I HATE that he did it to the Sens, but I LOVE that he did it. I'm obviously glad the Sens won, and especially that we beat the Leafs, but as a hockey fan, that performance was awesome. I can't wait to see what this kid does.

And then I think, he's barely older than a lot of the high schoolers I cover... Wow...

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Boy...if Matthews wins the Calder, the Leafs make the playoffs, and the Jays win the World Series, you my friend, may be a stroke candidate....

Now now @TropicalFruitGirl26. Let's not get too carried away. Leafs still lost the game in OT. There's reality, and then there's

HOLY SHNIKE'S! AUSTON MATTHEWS SCORED 4 GOALS IN HIS NHL DEBUT!

Let's keep things well-balanced, shall we? 

I loved some of the tweets from other players after Auston's debut. Kris Letang says "welcome to our little beer league...lol!"

and this gem from Marty St.Louis...."it was like watching a mite game where one kid is way better than everyone else!"

The Windsor Warriors would like the thank our NAHANA league for allowing me the honour of drafting Matthews with our first pick. I was selecting 16th....the two expansion teams picked 5 each to start out, and then I neverously sat through another 6 picks before I picked. 

Metadeke already offered me Laine AND Scheiffle for Auston, turned him down just to be a prick, cause i know how bad he wants him. LMAO.

Unbelieveable. I thought we (Leafs) dominated just about the entire game. Marner was good, Nylander was good Brown was good, almost everybody was good.

Just imagine what we could do if we had a goaltender.....:5722cdef07055_notfair:

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

The Windsor Warriors would like the thank our NAHANA league for allowing me the honour of drafting Matthews with our first pick. I was selecting 16th....the two expansion teams picked 5 each to start out, and then I neverously sat through another 6 picks before I picked. 

Metadeke already offered me Laine AND Scheiffle for Auston, turned him down just to be a prick, cause i know how bad he wants him. LMAO.

Its funny. I offered him Seguin, Hoffman and my 9th for Scheifele + Stastny and his 6th.

I was kinda relieved he did not take it.

Regardless, a lot of kids used to 50 game seasons vs other kids come out blowing all their fuel and we always have someone on pace for 200 points the first 20 games of the season before people start to feel the bumps and bruises and the muscle pain. Most veterans know to play a modest pace and conserve some energy for the 82 game season.

When we hit the 20 game mark and see the slowdown the waiver wire and Matthews true potential will become more clear.

2 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Its funny. I offered him Seguin, Hoffman and my 9th for Scheifele + Stastny and his 6th.

I was kinda relieved he did not take it.

Regardless, a lot of kids used to 50 game seasons vs other kids come out blowing all their fuel and we always have someone on pace for 200 points the first 20 games of the season before people start to feel the bumps and bruises and the muscle pain. Most veterans know to play a modest pace and conserve some energy for the 82 game season.

When we hit the 20 game mark and see the slowdown the waiver wire and Matthews true potential will become more clear.

You're right, of course. But I think Matthews, with his size to go along with his hands and ability to be in the right places, may have an easier time with it.

How many games per year to they play in the Swiss league? Anyone know?

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I think the best was Luongo:

6 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

You're right, of course. But I think Matthews, with his size to go along with his hands and ability to be in the right places, may have an easier time with it.

50 usually. He played 36 last year

33 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

I'm not directly comparing Auston to Crosby, but there is one tell tale similarity in their style of play, they both generate their speed and moves from tremendous leg strength. This allows them to cycle the puck better than most and gives them both break away speed and the ability to turn on a dime. That is why I thought Auston was the real deal, you can't teach the kind of leg drive he has, you can work on it and get it a bit better, but for the most part, when it's elite like these two guys, it's God given. It's also the reason why I don't think he will slow down like most rookies..

EDIT, just for the heck of it, I thought I would throw in, Crosby has NEVER scored 4 goals in a single game...ever. ha ha.

12 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

HOLY CRAP! Auston Matthews has 4 goals in his NHL debut, and the game isn't even over yet!

Here are the first three. The second one is a real statement goal.

https://www.nhl.com/video/matthews-nets-hat-trick-in-debut/t-277752844/c-45233203

200.gif

.....and lost.........

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Boy...if Matthews wins the Calder, the Leafs make the playoffs, and the Jays win the World Series, you my friend, may be a stroke candidate....

Let's take one thing at a time.  :thinking:   .....    :hyper:

The funniest thing would be if the Jays faced the Cubs in the World Series and won. Everyone outside Toronto would hate the Jays so much it would be hilarious. 

19 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Let's take one thing at a time.  :thinking:   .....    :hyper:

The funniest thing would be if the Jays faced the Cubs in the World Series and won. Everyone outside Toronto would hate the Jays so much it would be hilarious. 

Well, the upside to that would be that Steve Bartman might be able to go back home then... :5726b5f7a17fd_cointoss:

Auston-Mania is running wild (no pun intended) here in the Twin Cities even as the Wild get set to open their season in St. Louis.

He has been the talk of sports radio all morning (with some jokes thrown in about the Leafs STILL losing the game of course...heh), along with how well Connor McDavid did across the country of Canada in Edmonton last night.

Again, I don't want to take away from the Matthews history making night, but at the end of the day, it's still only one game, which the Leafs still lost, it was against the defensively challenged Senators, and there are still much bigger tests ahead for the young rookie.

Archived