Grossmann and Schenn

brelic

Lol, thought this was mildly interesting... 

The Flyers gave Luke Schenn a 5-year contract at $3.6M/year. He's now got a 2-year, $1.25M contract with Arizona. And he's only 26, not even in his prime.

The Flyers gave Grossmann a 4-year contract at $3.5M with an NTC. He is now on a 1-year contract at league minimum, $575k. 

*That* was Holmgren's poor talent evaluation and atrocious asset management skills at work. 

17 minutes ago, brelic said:

Lol, thought this was mildly interesting... 

The Flyers gave Luke Schenn a 5-year contract at $3.6M/year. He's now got a 2-year, $1.25M contract with Arizona. And he's only 26, not even in his prime.

The Flyers gave Grossmann a 4-year contract at $3.5M with an NTC. He is now on a 1-year contract at league minimum, $575k. 

*That* was Holmgren's poor talent evaluation and atrocious asset management skills at work. 

I think the Leafs gave Schenn that contract. Homer was just stupid enough to trade for it.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I think the Leafs gave Schenn that contract. Homer was just stupid enough to trade for it.

Yeah, I think the Flyers must have given him an extension?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/luke-schenn

It says signing team is the Flyers, but the date is June 2013? 

Worse than being enough to trade for it is handing over JVR lol.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Also, 2 x 1.25 is not a bad deal for Luke.

Yeah, Luke's a bargain at that.

Luke really just didn't live up to expectations.  He was supposed to be much better than he ended up being and his first few years in TO really looked ike the start of good things.

But the Leafs saw something Homer didn't and fleeced us for our #2 overall pick who was just starting to work out his game and is now playing with a punk who can score 4 goals in his NHL debut.

Leafs still lost the game though :)

25 minutes ago, brelic said:

Exactly. It was someone other than the Flyers that gave him that. It better reflects his true value.

His true value lies somewhere in between in reality.  1.25 is a deal.  

That said, Homer was atrocious at overvaluing the wrong players and undervaluing the right ones.  

Grossman for instance wasn't bad for this team for a time and he probably could have commanded 3+ million on the open market at the time, but the idea that the team couldn't get along without him or put that 3.25 million to better use elsewhere is just absurd.  

I worry about Hextall in this regard a little bit.  He's been better, but the deal for Jake is just way off the deep and and the Gudas deal (while I like Gudas' game much better than either Grossman or Schenn and his advanced analytics are pretty strong from what I understand) also seems a little steep.  However, for a player of his age and upside, he is much more easily moveable than Grossman or Schenn and hextall managed to move both of those lugs.  

Making trades and sleeper picks seems to be where Hextall's inherent brilliance lies.  If he can get it through his head that a player really has to be top notch consistently to be worth  40+ million dollar deal, he'll be set.    But as of right now, it's his biggest weakness. 

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, Flyers extended Luke.

The Flyers never extended Luke. His contract was signed while he was in Toronto in 2011, while the Flyers traded for him in the summer of 2012

Year NHL Salary AHL Salary Performance Bonus Signing Bonus
  2011-12 $4,600,000 $1,000,000
  2012-13 $3,350,000
  2013-14 $3,350,000
  2014-15 $3,350,000
NTC 2015-16 $3,350,000

4 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

The Flyers never extended Luke. His contract was signed while he was in Toronto in 2011, while the Flyers traded for him in the summer of 2012

Year NHL Salary AHL Salary Performance Bonus Signing Bonus
  2011-12 $4,600,000 $1,000,000
  2012-13 $3,350,000
  2013-14 $3,350,000
  2014-15 $3,350,000
NTC 2015-16 $3,350,000

Thanks. If you had a nickel for every time you corrected me you'd be rich, lol

Archived