Provorov

King Knut

2 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I wouldnt. Don't get me wrong, Matthews is great, but a franchise defenseman is more important to a team 

99 times out of 100, you're right, but these two are special players.  

Provo is special as well... but Matthews and McDavid are the kind of players that will have changed the game by the time they're 25 or 26.  

Provo is quite good but is still a lot of Promise to fulfill.  McDavid and Matthews are pretty much that good now.  

The good news is that no one is going to trade any of them so we get to see how good Provo can get!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Hagg winds up having this long career where all he does is play big minutes and win.

Is it with us ? I hope so, He's the steady Swede you need on the middle pairing.

I also think Meyers is on the NHL team sooner than most of us think.  Scouting guys are a slobbering all over him. I think he might make the Flyers before Sanheim whom I think needs to eat some more cheeseburgers or poutine or something, he looks too slight for the NHL to me.

I am excited by the prospect of having really good home-grown defenders...such an nice change from the last, 15 years where we would have to gut the forward corps to get a good player.

9 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

My guess is Provorov, Gudas, Gostisbehere, MacDud, Hagg, Morin and Manning as the 7th 

My hope is that Sanheim can come up and provide more balance.

My guess is that we didn't see him and we did see the other two just becasue their games look more like Gudas' game than Sanheim's.  If MDZ or Ghost had gone down with an injury in the last week, we'd probably have seen Sanheim.

But no matter what, I feel like both Hexy and Hak are not going to be into the idea of three rookies.  Maybe Morin and Hagg will be in and out with Manning quite a bit?

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

Play Driver / Responsibility guy

Provo / Mac  (I know I know... IN THEORY)

Ghost  / Gudas

Sanheim / Morin/Manning

I disagree only in that I don't see Provorov as a "play driver." Yes, he does that, but he's also so good at reading things that he's also the "responsibility guy." You could really pair him with either "type" of player and I think they'd do quite well. You could, as @flyercanuck says, give him Sanheim or Myers or Friedman or Hagg... and I think the pair will perform well assuming the other player isn't a dud.

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I disagree only in that I don't see Provorov as a "play driver." Yes, he does that, but he's also so good at reading things that he's also the "responsibility guy." You could really pair him with either "type" of player and I think they'd do quite well. You could, as @flyercanuck says, give him Sanheim or Myers or Friedman or Hagg... and I think the pair will perform well assuming the other player isn't a dud.

I think I made that point, but it may have been in a different post.  

You could essentially put him with anyone which could be the balancing factor next year.  The long and short of my reasoning in that instance was that between MacDonald and himself, Provo is definitely more of the play driver in that pairing.  In an ideal world Morin, Hagg and Gudas are the responsibility guys and Mac is elsewhere (press bo of Phantoms).  Even in that instance that's three D focused guys that need a play driving partner.  Unless/Until they make some trades, Provo may have to act as the play driving partner to one of them at least by this way of thinking about the position.  

Unless Myers blows away Sanheim in camp (and the phantoms will be getting a first look at the kid now) I expect him to play in the AHL next year barring lots of injuries on the Flyers.  

How much more of a dud could any of these guys be than MacDonald?  I guess it's possible, but he's setting the bar for Provo's partner pretty securely at "Mediocre, more or less serviceable NHL player" right now.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I also think Meyers is on the NHL team sooner than most of us think.  Scouting guys are a slobbering all over him.

Yes his junior career could be over as we speak. His junior team got eliminated last night and could join the Phantoms as well for the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes his junior career could be over as we speak. His junior team got eliminated last night and could join the Phantoms as well for the playoffs.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/phantoms/2017/4/19/15359146/philippe-myers-flyers-phantoms-playoffs-2017

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Wow. They should have a nice run. Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Friedman and now Myers that is some sick depth right there.

Stolie has to hate to miss playing behind that.

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Judging by his injury history and the nature of those injuries, there's no way I let this kid make the team out of camp no matter how well he plays.

He's got to learn to play with man sized and at least AHL fast players.  He's been knocked around and wounded so many times already.   There have been a few bad runs and dirty hits, but that's not going to get any better by sticking him right in the NHL.

I was all for giving Provo and TK a shot and they didn't disappoint.  Provo absolutely amazed.  But Provo handles himself.  He absorbs hits, he seems to understand that they're coming and he's aware of what's going on around him.  

Myers may have the skill level to play in the NHL, but he needs to be able to mind himself to make sure he stays in the NHL.  He's got plenty of years ahead of him and the Flyers have plenty of young D-men.  Give him some time before putting him through the gauntlet.  

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow. They should have a nice run. Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Friedman and now Myers that is some sick depth right there.

Stolie has to hate to miss playing behind that.

What a crappy break for Stolarz.  Especially since the team doesn't seem to think so much of Lyon in the long run.  Wasted opportunity for Stolie to really establish himself.

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

Judging by his injury history and the nature of those injuries, there's no way I let this kid make the team out of camp no matter how well he plays.

He's got to learn to play with man sized and at least AHL fast players.  He's been knocked around and wounded so many times already.   There have been a few bad runs and dirty hits, but that's not going to get any better by sticking him right in the NHL.

I was all for giving Provo and TK a shot and they didn't disappoint.  Provo absolutely amazed.  But Provo handles himself.  He absorbs hits, he seems to understand that they're coming and he's aware of what's going on around him.  

Myers may have the skill level to play in the NHL, but he needs to be able to mind himself to make sure he stays in the NHL.  He's got plenty of years ahead of him and the Flyers have plenty of young D-men.  Give him some time before putting him through the gauntlet.  

Myers got hurt by a cheap headshot. You can't learn how to play against that.

I'm not saying Myers is ready, cause I doubt he is. But if some jerk wants to give you a shot to the head...well, most hockey players just expect you won't do that.

25 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Myers got hurt by a cheap headshot. You can't learn how to play against that.

I'm not saying Myers is ready, cause I doubt he is. But if some jerk wants to give you a shot to the head...well, most hockey players just expect you won't do that.

That was just the most public one.  He had hurt his knee and had Streit's pubic plate displacement issue as well. 

He's incredibly talented and won't be protected the way some young stars are.  He'll have to be able to mind his surroundings and take a little more care (kneeing guys, etc). 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Huh what gives you that idea?

Nothing. You're right.  I should amend. 

Mere heresay on the board and other places that chatter about such things. 

Maybe they're very high on him. I fully admit to just repeating the words of others on that one.  

Got me on the draft / signing order.  I had no idea. I just assumed they got high in the Ivy League all at once. 

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Nothing. You're right.  I should amend. 

Mere heresay on the board and other places that chatter about such things. 

Maybe they're very high on him. I fully admit to just repeating the words of others on that one.  

They can't be too down on him if they drafted his replacement at Harvard. 

Merrick Madsen was already in the system before they signed Lyon.

If they didn't think a lot of him i don't think they would have signed him last so he could burn a year of his entry level deal just to get him signed.

Besides in his 1st year of pro i think he put up pretty respectable numbers.

In fact he is a huge part of the Phantoms ever getting 100 points in a season. Never been none before regardless of where they were located.

In one year they went from 12th in the conference to what 2nd? Without Lyon that doesn't happen.

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Merrick Madsen was already in the system before they signed Lyon.

If they didn't think a lot of him i don't think they would have signed him last so he could burn a year of his entry level deal just to get him signed.

Besides in his 1st year of pro i think he put up pretty respectable numbers.

In fact he is a huge part of the Phantoms ever getting 100 points in a season. Never been none before regardless of where they were located.

In one year they went from 12th in the conference to what 2nd? Without Lyon that doesn't happen.

I hadn't realized he was drafted before college.  Crazy.  Thanks for the info. 

As far as Lyon goes, as I said I was shamefully just repeating rumor or conjecture I'd read here or on the blogs.  

My apologies to Alex. He's a monster. 

Obviously he's been excellent for the phantoms.  He was the man while Stolarz was changing Mason's water bottles. 

I just feel for stolarz getting hut just in time for the playoffs. 

Who the phantoms played was certainly up for grabs.  This almost makes it easier but if course you always want all your options.  

Cant wait to see Myers.  Trying to schedule one of the games in person. 

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

As far as Lyon goes, as I said I was shamefully just repeating rumor or conjecture I'd read here or on the blogs.  

Obviously he's been excellent for the phantoms.  He was the man while Stolarz was changing Mason's water bottles. 

Who the phantoms played was certainly up for grabs.  This almost makes it easier but if course you always want all your options.  

Yeah now would be a great time to check this loaded squad out!!!

They could be getting Oskar Lindblom and Doves-Mcfalls when their playoffs are over too.

8 hours ago, King Knut said:

If you're worried about Myers, look at Stolarz...this guy manages to get hurt or suspended every playoff.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If you're worried about Myers, look at Stolarz...this guy manages to get hurt or suspended every playoff.

Im worried about him too, but as a goalie I tend not to worry about the same things as I do with Myers.  

I look at Laughton. That's the kind of stuff that worried me.  Those kinds of injuries. 

I believe in the kid and want to see him succeed.  Just hoping he gets the best chance to do so. 

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

Im worried about him too, but as a goalie I tend not to worry about the same things as I do with Myers.  

I look at Laughton. That's the kind of stuff that worried me.  Those kinds of injuries. 

I believe in the kid and want to see him succeed.  Just hoping he gets the best chance to do so. 

Now that I think of it, Morin is another good example.

That guy looked really good at a 19 year old in camp and the preseason.  I wanted him to get his 9 games.  in Hindsight, that would have been a mistake. 

He was throwing his body around making big hits and creating room like he was Chris Pronger.  Really, he was a 19 year old with some size, but nowhere near the physical presence or hockey smarts to be able to pull that kind of game off.  Hungry as we were for his talent, and as much as the roster not having room was a crappy excuse, Morin needed time and guidance.  He's playing smarter now and he knows even two years later that he's not quite filled out enough yet.  

That could add not only effectiveness to his game when he does start playing for the Flyers, but years on the other end of his career.  

Archived