Provorov

King Knut

I'm going out on a (very short) limb here and say that Provo is now this team's #1 Defenseman.  

He's now play as many or more minutes than anyone.

He's playing on both the PP and PK.  He's playing more PK minutes than anyone.  

And at this point, he's doing it all extremely well.  

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't think you're out on a limb...he's playing better than anyone else back there. And he's only going to get better. 

I said it was a short one :)

And I think I'm differentiating between people like us saying he's playing the best and Hakstol treating him like it and him responding like it.  

54 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Let's get real folks... the ONLY reason that Prov is playing well now is a direct result of Couts being out of the lineup.   Let's not overthink it....

:hocky:

Some things are just undeniable I guess. Color me converted..

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Let's get real folks... the ONLY reason that Prov is playing well now is a direct result of Couts being out of the lineup.   Let's not overthink it....

:hocky:

Well, I wouldn't give Provorov all the credit.

With Couturier - 9-8-3, giving up 3.3 goals/game

Without Couturier - 5-2, giving up 2.4 goals/game.

Clearly, Couturier is the problem.

:ph34r:

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Well, I wouldn't give Provorov all the credit.

With Couturier - 9-8-3, giving up 3.3 goals/game

Without Couturier - 5-2, giving up 2.4 goals/game.

Clearly, Couturier is the problem.

:ph34r:

Nice Try, but it seems far more likely that it's been MacDonald's presence that has stabilized things:

With Mac:  12-6-1   .632

Without Mac:  2-4-2  .250

Since bringing him back up controversially in mid-November they are 7-2 ( a full game before Coots got hurt).

I think the evidence is incontrovertible. 

Or maybe Hakstol's got the majority of the team playing better all around hockey and Mason is playing like the Mason we love. 

One or the other ;)

Joking aside, those number are very real and it confuses and frightens me.  

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

I'm going out on a (very short) limb here and say that Provo is now this team's #1 Defenseman.  

He's now play as many or more minutes than anyone.

He's playing on both the PP and PK.  He's playing more PK minutes than anyone.  

And at this point, he's doing it all extremely well.  

I'm with you man and honestly, it isn't even close. He just has that 'it' factor in terms of playing in all situations. People might point to his +/- as not being indicative of a number one defenseman, but Drew Doughty was a -17 his first year, PK Subban was -8, Erik Karlsson was -30, and the list goes on and on. I know that Werenski is the hot hand right now, but I'm willing to bet in the 2nd half of the season, his name will be heard less and less and Provorov's more and more.

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

!

Does this mean we have to stop calling him McDud and start calling him McWin? :572958dca2943_scratcheshead:

I wish I knew what it meant.  I've been struggling with it for a couple of weeks now and it keeps getting worse!

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

Nope, not yet.  I'm buying an A Mac Jersey instead.  I know it'll be accurate for several more years in any event.  

If he keeps this up Vegas will snag him! It's a diabolical strategy to get rid of a guy, I have to say.

12 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm old enough to remember when young Ivan was playing like crap and we questioned his ability to play in the bigs at his young age.

Yeah, me too.

Of course , I was already old enough at the time to think that was bollocks. 

I can't help but feel like some shots are being fired at me...some probably deserved.  I'll still try to defend some of my beliefs though.

I wanted to try to prove this topic wrong, but then I tried to think of a defenseman playing better right now...I couldn't.  Provorov is playing well, but sometimes it could be the tallest "little person" in the circus theory.  I don't want to take anything away from him though.  I can still see faults in his game, but he's improving and helping the team.

You know what else is improving the team...couturier not being in the lineup!  I don't know...maybe it's just a coincidence, but I honestly feel a jolt in the offense since he went down.  In general, the offense has pinned teams in their own zone more often and for longer periods of time.  Against good defenses too.  I feel like that new second line has had a lot more scoring chances too.  Those top two lines are very dangerous now.  Also, team defense has been much better.  We'll see what happens when couturier comes back.  Hopefully he has a permanent spot on the third line.

MacDonald has been a surprise but I still have an uneasy feeling when he's on the ice.

1 hour ago, icehole said:

I can't help but feel like some shots are being fired at me...some probably deserved.  I'll still try to defend some of my beliefs though.

I wanted to try to prove this topic wrong, but then I tried to think of a defenseman playing better right now...I couldn't.  Provorov is playing well, but sometimes it could be the tallest "little person" in the circus theory.  I don't want to take anything away from him though.  I can still see faults in his game, but he's improving and helping the team.

You know what else is improving the team...couturier not being in the lineup!  I don't know...maybe it's just a coincidence, but I honestly feel a jolt in the offense since he went down.  In general, the offense has pinned teams in their own zone more often and for longer periods of time.  Against good defenses too.  I feel like that new second line has had a lot more scoring chances too.  Those top two lines are very dangerous now.  Also, team defense has been much better.  We'll see what happens when couturier comes back.  Hopefully he has a permanent spot on the third line.

MacDonald has been a surprise but I still have an uneasy feeling when he's on the ice.

Lol, just for the record, if I take a shot at you, you'll be sure. 

It wasn't just you, though.   Seriously, if people are criticizing Provorov, they're simply going out of their way to point out he's human rather than just enjoying the rookie year of a star in the making. 

38 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Lol, just for the record, if I take a shot at you, you'll be sure. 

It wasn't just you, though.   Seriously, if people are criticizing Provorov, they're simply going out of their way to point out he's human rather than just enjoying the rookie year of a star in the making. 

Not necessarily. It's just me...I look at things differently.  I don't want to ruin anyone's fun.

21 minutes ago, icehole said:

Not necessarily. It's just me...I look at things differently.  I don't want to ruin anyone's fun.

Just to point out...after a heck of a performance for anyone, let alone a 19 year old defenceman where he scored twice AND batted a sure goal out of the air while diving across the back of the net, your first impression about him was the Hawks first goal being his fault (he lost an edge...something you can't learn NOT to do). 

I mean that's what stands out to you in that game? Cause there were a lot of stand outs by Provorov...and that wasn't one of them.

I have no problem with pointing out bad plays...that was bad luck. 

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Just to point out...after a heck of a performance for anyone, let alone a 19 year old defenceman where he scored twice AND batted a sure goal out of the air while diving across the back of the net, your first impression about him was the Hawks first goal being his fault (he lost an edge...something you can't learn NOT to do). 

I mean that's what stands out to you in that game? Cause there were a lot of stand outs by Provorov...and that wasn't one of them.

I have no problem with pointing out bad plays...that was bad luck. 

He had a great game against the Hawks.  I didn't point that out as the play that defined his day.  His transition from facing backward and making that turn to skate forward the opposite way has been a little bit of a struggle on many occasions this year.  If we can put blame on Mason, Macdonald, couturier, read, umberger (for old time sake), vandevelde, schenn or anyone else, we can also point out when provorov is to blame.

But as I said earlier, I don't want to drain the excitement from everyone so I'll try to stay out of that conversation.  I wish I could be as optimistic as the rest...it would make my life a lot better.

Archived