Leafs Playoff Memories

WordsOfWisdom

Thought I'd start a new topic showcasing some events in the time before time,  something the millennial generation has yet to see: playoff games involving the Leafs!  (Particularly when they win a series.)  :ph34r:

Let's kick things off with something that used to be called the "battle of Ontario":

Leafs vs Senators (2003-04) : Game #7

My memories are the damn Leafs besting the much more talented and deserving team my Red Wings in 1993 in a precursor of what was to come against the Sens for the Leafs......

And the non call on the Great one against Gretzky, an absolutely horrible miss by Kerry Fraser

which propelled the Kings to the cup finals and the Leafs to the golf course in the same year. Ha, call it Karma.

Also in the late eighties under Demers the Wings were fun to watch and beat the Leafs twice in a row to make it to the conference finals, the two teams HATED each other then. I cannot remember who to attribute the quote about the Norris division to but someone once said about our shared division, "it is kind of like puppy love, it is funny to the rest of us but it is real to the puppies." which best sums up the Wings/Leafs/North Stars and Hawks of that era.......

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ah yes 2004.... the last year in which the Leafs won a playoff series. 

Let's see, what was happening in the world back in 2004?  

That JR goal was one of the happiest moments of my life as a hockey fan. On the heels of that series, was the BITTER heart break of the lowest scoring 6 game series of all time between the same teams years earlier. That little squeaker that made it by John Van Beezer still haunts me. So, when JR scored that goal, it exorcised demons from the bitter defeat years in the past, and the glorious way JR pulled it off...it was just beautiful, will NEVER forget that moment in time.

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

That JR goal was one of the happiest moments of my life as a hockey fan. On the heels of that series, was the BITTER heart break of the lowest scoring 6 game series of all time between the same teams years earlier. That little squeaker that made it by John Van Beezer still haunts me. So, when JR scored that goal, it exorcised demons from the bitter defeat years in the past, and the glorious way JR pulled it off...it was just beautiful, will NEVER forget that moment in time.

The Flyers beat the leafs in 7 games the year before...

6 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

The Flyers beat the leafs in 7 games the year before...

ha....how did that series slip my memory? Guess that makes me a typical Flyer fan though, only remembering the bad stuff. ha ha...from back in 99 no less.

7 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I vote to merge this thread with the shortest book ever written thread....LOL!  Modern Leafs only of course!!

I'm trying to see if there are any noticeable changes to the way the game was played back then versus today. I do see a noticeable change in the quality of the Leafs team. The skill and intensity is an order of magnitude higher than the product today.

High end skill with guys like Mogilny. Supreme character, intensity, leadership, grit, and skill from guys like Roberts. The Leafs today don't have anyone like Roberts. It's such a huge change.  

Archived