Ghost is a problem

fanaticV3.0

4 hours ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

It was that newbie a-hole. I think @vis is his name?

What did I do now?

Anyway, trying to follow along the last couple of pages.  As you or someone else mentioned, we (or at least myself) are just guessing that Ghost's confidence would be further shaken by a trip to the AHL.  I only mentioned the AHL because it's an option.  I'm not advocating for it.  But scratching him hasn't seemed to help and maybe has made his issues worse.  On that basis, one would think a demotion to the A, which is more severe than a scratch, would have an even more deleterious effect on him.  Again, pure conjecture on my part.  

I see his Corsi brought up in this thread and elsewhere.  I'm no fancy stay guru, but don't discount them entirely.  But with Ghost, he better have a high Corsi because he is the most sheltered player on the team - probably the league - in terms of offensive zone starts 5v5.  To me, it's no great shakes that his Corsi is highest on the team.  It better be given how he is utilized.

Also, I don't get the sense that they are trying to turn him into a two-way dman (seems some were alluding to that).  It would be foolish to scratch him because he gets muscled off the puck in his own zone.  That's going to happen given his size and game.   But I think they're trying get him to make smarter decisions and take some fewer risks.  And improve his positioning.  That doesn't mean they want him to be Brad Marsh.  It just means they want him to improve his defense - especially since he is a defenseman.  This is why many thought the AHL was the right place for him to develop last year.   But, then he got called up...

i hate to say this, because I like Konecny and Ghost, but it's no coincidence the flyers seemed to play a better defensive game without them in the lineup.  

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If Hagg is for real, this is a waste of him.

Better to hang on to Manning and dish Hagg for another asset you need.

More likely scenario is that not all these guys work out.  Myers in particular, I'm very concerned about his concussions.  

Not so quick. Let's see him play before you get rid of him. It isn't like it will go by what i laid out i just laid them out better by which side they play on so to speak.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Being that Myers and Gudas are both right hand shot i think the pairs will look different that above...

I can see this...

Provorov (6-1) / Myers (6-5)

Sanheim (6-4 ) / Gudas (6-0)

Morin (6-7) / Ghost (5-11)

----------------------------

Hagg (6-2) / Willcox (6-4)

That is a huge mobile blueline that i have never seen the Flyers have before.

That would give them 8 Dmen which Hextall likes to carry. 3 right hand shots and 5 lefties. Ghost would be the smallest.

You forgot Friedman.

And Hextall has said he prefers not to carry 8 defensemen. Though he's carried 8 a lot more than he hasn't. Might be for cap reasons,but WTFKATP...

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

And Hextall has said he prefers not to carry 8 defensemen

Sure he says it but he always seems to do it.

Willcox could be on the Phantoms still he has one more year on his entry level deal next year anyways...besides Myers may be a Phantom a year or two first.

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not so quick. Let's see him play before you get rid of him. It isn't like it will go by what i laid out i just laid them out better by which side they play on so to speak.

I guess I just meant in general.  Either one or more of them won't work out or if they do, we'd be better suited to trade one for a different asset. 

I didn't mean him in particular and obviously, I'd like to see them all play and make assessments at that point.  

Just now, King Knut said:

I guess I just meant in general.  Either one or more of them won't work out or if they do, we'd be better suited to trade one for a different asset. 

I didn't mean him in particular and obviously, I'd like to see them all play and make assessments at that point.  

Well as of right now it is to hard to say.

Hagg Willcox and Morin still have next year on their entry level deals.

Sanheim still has two more years.

And if Myers joins the Phantoms he'll have 3 years. So no need to stress aboot it now.

Ivan still has two more years on his entry level to after this one so plenty of time for this kids to keep developing.

I'm just looking ahead kind of. And as mention by AJ Friedman will be offered a contract after this year too i imagine.

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Question, how is a player, rookie or 2nd year, deadly accurate one year and can't hit the broad side of a barn in his 2nd. I can see a slight drop off, but he showed pinpoint shooting last year, put in the perfect spot for a tip and or rebound....on purpose. This year, no sign of that skill....

maybe he needs contact eye lenses!  just like the character from Major League..Ricky Vaughn..... 

Seriously.....

Maybe we can we all just kind of agree that Ghost is enduring that "sophomore slump"  Also agree because of his instant success last year everyone just kind of expected it this year.  As much as I want to worry about Ghost, unless there is a fundamental flaw in his game, I say chalk it up to a VERY bad year and see what next year holds..   If next year he has repeat performance of this year then yes...there may be more to it "than just a sophomore slump." 

I am curious to see how he responds with better defensive partners.......

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

maybe he needs contact eye lenses!  just like the character from Major League..Ricky Vaughn..... 

Seriously.....

Maybe we can we all just kind of agree that Ghost is enduring that "sophomore slump"  Also agree because of his instant success last year everyone just kind of expected it this year.  As much as I want to worry about Ghost, unless there is a fundamental flaw in his game, I say chalk it up to a VERY bad year and see what next year holds..   If next year he has repeat performance of this year then yes...there may be more to it "than just a sophomore slump." 

I agree hell he wouldn't be the 1st it happened too.......

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

To be fair, one of those seasons was strike shortened.  

He's averaged over 30 goals per 82 games since arriving in LA and contrary to popular belief he actually scored pretty well in Columbus as well (15 goals in 39 games),  his +/- was god awful there though.

Long story short, I love Jake and Coots, and wouldn't undo that trade, but I'd take Jeff Carter on my team right now in a heartbeat.  

All that is true.  But the joke here was the prediction made by a well-loved poster early on that Crater would be a 60-goal scorer. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

All that is true.  But the joke here was the prediction made by a well-loved poster early on that Crater would be a 60-goal scorer. 

Who was this "well-loved" poster?

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Agree with all of this, but I think it's fair to say that his defensive play is a fundamental flaw.  It was tolerated last year because he was spectacular offensively.  Which is fine.  However, without that spectacular offense, it's harder to tolerate the flaws. 

I do think/hope it is a sophomore slump.  All the more reason to play it out in the NHL rather than AHL.  Besides, isn't watching these growing pains what we signed up for when it was decided to rebuild?

I'm not nearly as frustrated with watching Ghost and Konecny turn over pucks as I am when Voracek, Giroux and MacDonald cough it up.  

2 minutes ago, vis said:

The well-loved threw me off.  Is he here under a different name?

Btw, I thought you were referring to yourself...

Lol. I'm kidding.  I was referring to jammer.  I wasn't going to throw him under the bus, but someone else already did. 

NTP66 was here briefly. Didn't take.  No long Island ice tea here. 

12 minutes ago, vis said:

ah, gotcha.

lol @ long island ice tea...

Is Superfan88 anywhere to be found these days?

No.   His sister keeps him pretty busy taking care of their kid. 

(not a peep since he went to nursing school.  I don't think he's here under a different name. He would be easily recognizable) 

On February 1, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Bertmega said:

Wow  “Martinez” from 97.5  predicted Ghost would have a sophomore slump.  Somebody call the brain trust in Toronto because there is a "hockey genius" wasting away in a decaying local market. 

SMH. 

This whole team blows, let's see where he is next season before circling the wagons.

If you have heard my point of view from last year when I made the proclamation it was based on seeing a player that does not skate nearly as well as we all hoped. My thoughts were simple. He would be an easy adjustment to eliminate his time and space quickly leaving him little space make decisions. He can easily be worn down. I watched teams begin the adjustment last season. Dumps in his corner to wear him down. This is not just a sophomore,ore slump.  It's is just a fact that people got carried away with the expectations of him. He became mythic. Fans went overboard way to fast. He has obvious areas to clean up. And he may. I just saw a player that was going to be an easy adjustment and now it is on him adjust. So far he has not been able to do that. 

Jason myrtetus

On February 2, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Bertmega said:

I literally am having a tough time responding to your hypocrisy, but I'll try.  

First off, low level itern on the radio says player X will never be able to sustain his numbers that he did in his rookie year, so we must cut him loose, or something like that. So now it's gospel? You practically could make that argument for any player that had a great rookie year. This is what is know is the sophomore slump. Call Martinz and let him know this, he'll look like a genius next time he uses that phrase during his on-air analysis. 

Anyhow, I guess I should start threads on what Joe the facilities guy thinks about Claude Giroux. I mean in all fairness, if you associate a name with the criticizer it must have more validity to it? The problem here is it was a blanket statement with absolutely no analysis or thought put into it. When you analyze the team in its entirety there is a pattern. Maybe Martinez from 97.5 could call out the entire team instead of one player?

Anyhow, @fanaticV3.0, have a little self respect and stop listening to the official station of the Philadelphia Wing Bowl, or posting their thoughts on my beloved Flyers. 

Maybe if you listened you would have heard me call out many other players. 

On February 2, 2017 at 11:45 AM, fanaticV3.0 said:

I am not blaming anything other than his own play on him. I never mentioned anything about the team as a whole in this conversation tbh.

No, it's Jason Myrtetus. The dude that has a man crush on G and defends him with the same vigor as a teenage girl does a boy band.

You do understand the G thimg is Schick right?

2 minutes ago, Myrtman said:

Maybe if you listened you would have heard me call out many other players. 

Since when did Philly sports radio start talking Flyers?  I gave up listening years ago with the 360 day non-stop Eagles talk.

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

Since when did Philly sports radio start talking Flyers?  I gave up listening years ago with the 360 day non-stop Eagles talk.

When I am on I get as much flyer and hockey talk in as I can. Seeing as I do the games I am very close to the team. Give it another shot. 

1 minute ago, Myrtman said:

When I am on I get as much flyer and hockey talk in as I can. Seeing as I do the games I am very close to the team. Give it another shot. 

Fair- enough - what's your timeslot?

Archived